Sign in to follow this  

Broken Tab on Rear Hub

I neglected to check my rear sprocket bolts and realized today that one of the tabs on my rear hub is broken (see photo). Most of the sprocket bolts were loose... I've tightened them, but I'm guessing this means my rear wheel is toast?

47304366_1887979277987972_5291731670989275136_n.jpg

Maybe not.  Bolts are not intended to drive the wheel in shear.  It is the clamping force that secures the drive sprocket to the hub.  Tighten the remaining bolts and see if they stay tight.  Also the 1 broken place can be welded and re-drilled.

• Like 3

I would personally replace the hub and all the sprocket bolts.  If they keep loosening then make sure you're not running your chain too tight, and that you're not over torquing the sprocket bolts.  

That happened to me once on my motocross bike. I had it welded by a good welder and it lasted for years after.
If that's a KTM, they are quite well known for doing this which is caused by having the chain too tight. KTM's look like the chain is going to fall off when set correctly. In case this was the problem, make sure you set it following your owner's manual precisely. Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I would feel very comfortable with having the eyelet repaired and a new set of sprocket bolts should fix it right up!

• Like 2

Weld it.

Torque the sprocket bolts.

Check/true the assembly before re-installing on bike.

Set chain tension according to factory instructions.

Ride.

With the time and expense it would take to dissemble, weld, machine flat and true again, the  re lace the wheel (likely with new spoke and nipple set), Id do all the same work but the welding and replace the hub..
Congrats you found  an upgrade opportunity and were not even looking.. WIN 

39 minutes ago, Erik Marquez said:

Congrats you found  an upgrade opportunity and were not even looking.. WIN 

Ha ha ha, that's what I was thinking.