Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r has intermitting spark

hi i have a 2008 crf 250r. it ran great for the 6 months i had it. but just last week, i did a deep cleaning on it with a pressure washer and soap flipping it over on it’s side, etc. every since then i just could not get it started it would bump start and run great, but just wouldn’t kick over. i started with carb checking for clogged jets and water in the bowl but it was fine so then i took the big leap and just checked and adjusted the timing. the timing was off a little so i put it back to spec. well that still didn’t work and got even harder to bump start. so i went to the spark plug and figured out that it had intermitting spark. every ten kicks or so it would fire. i know the spark is the problem but what could be leading to it? the stator?

thanks really need help

I don't think you have an intermittent spark issue.  You said the timing was "Off a little," are you talking about valve timing or ignition timing?  Did you check valve clearances? Early crf's are known valve eaters. 

5 hours ago, rparrish2 said:

I don't think you have an intermittent spark issue.  You said the timing was "Off a little," are you talking about valve timing or ignition timing?  Did you check valve clearances? Early crf's are known valve eaters. 

the valve timing was off by a long shot i thought that was the problem

and the valves are fine

its just not sparking  

22 hours ago, big kahuna250 said:

the valve timing was off by a long shot i thought that was the problem

and the valves are fine

its just not sparking  

If the valve timing was "Off by a long shot" then you have bigger issues.  Are you sure you had the PROPPER timing marks lined up?

1 hour ago, rparrish2 said:

If the valve timing was "Off by a long shot" then you have bigger issues.  Are you sure you had the PROPPER timing marks lined up?

yes i lined up the marks parrallel to the top of the cylinder 

when i first opened the head up the timing marks were facing straight up and down 

32 minutes ago, big kahuna250 said:

yes i lined up the marks parrallel to the top of the cylinder 

when i first opened the head up the timing marks were facing straight up and down 

the piston has to be at top dead center on the compression stroke to be timed.  That means the timing mark on the crank has to be lined up with the timing mark on the ignition cover while the timing marks on the cam are lined up with the head.  Your engine IS NOT TIMED CORRECTLY!!!

30 minutes ago, rparrish2 said:

the piston has to be at top dead center on the compression stroke to be timed.  That means the timing mark on the crank has to be lined up with the timing mark on the ignition cover while the timing marks on the cam are lined up with the head.  Your engine IS NOT TIMED CORRECTLY!!!

i’ve done this before i lined what i’m doing lined up all of the timing marks on both sides of the motor. On the right side i lined up the marks on the crankshaft with the marks on the case. Also i made the two marks visible through the view hole on the left side of the motor. I know for sure that the bike is timed correctly i just need to know what common problems you guys have with sparking issues. 

29 minutes ago, big kahuna250 said:

i’ve done this before i lined what i’m doing lined up all of the timing marks on both sides of the motor. On the right side i lined up the marks on the crankshaft with the marks on the case. Also i made the two marks visible through the view hole on the left side of the motor. I know for sure that the bike is timed correctly i just need to know what common problems you guys have with sparking issues. 

There is no reason to think you have intermittent spark.  You said you could push start it prior to "adjusting the timing."  This is a well known symptom of out of spec valve clearances.  Moreover, if the timing marks were as far off as you said they were then you have some significant issues on your hands.  Extremely worn timing chain, broken cam chain tensioner or both.  You can keep chasing this spark issue if you want but you're looking in the wrong direction.