Sign in to follow this  

96 Indy 500 won’t rev but stays at idle when throttle is given

I have an Indy 500 and the wires ripped from the coil while I was driving it, so I got a new one. It was sitting outside for a week or so, and I put the new coil in and now it’s running weird. It will idle fine, on either cylinder (unplug a spark plug) but when I give it gas it won’t die, but the rpms stay exactly the same as idle. It sounds like it wants to rev but it won’t. Please help me!

An Indy 500 is a twin cylinder snowmobile made by Polaris.  It is not a snowbike but the OP doesn't have a forum where he can ask for help so . . . 

Did you check the linkage to the carburetor?  Throttle cable?  

Lastly, check the throttle cable that goes to the carburetor slide, I had a 1997 XLT600-triple-  that had the end of the throttle cable come off the round plate that holds the barrel end in the bottom of the carburetor slide and would not raise that(one of three) carburetor slides so the sled would only run on two cylinders.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

An Indy 500 is a twin cylinder snowmobile made by Polaris.  It is not a snowbike but the OP doesn't have a forum where he can ask for help so . . . 

Did you check the linkage to the carburetor?  Throttle cable?  

Lastly, check the throttle cable that goes to the carburetor slide, I had a 1997 XLT600-triple-  that had the end of the throttle cable come off the round plate that holds the barrel end in the bottom of the carburetor slide and would not raise that(one of three) carburetor slides so the sled would only run on two cylinders.  

Yeah I checked them and they are fine. It has spark, but when I pull the plugs the right one is wet and is not igniting the gas. I cleaned the carb with no luck

Do you have the correct coil?  

Could the spark plug be no good?  

Did you mix up the spark plug wires?  

Good compression? 

15 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Do you have the correct coil?  

Could the spark plug be no good?  

Did you mix up the spark plug wires?  

Good compression? 

I just replaced the coil when I got these symptoms. Maybe the timing Is off for it and I just need to set it. The plate is adjustable. But everything else is yes

assuming your throttle cable isn't broken it is most likely a safety switch of some sort. Not familiar with that specific model but there are often several different safeties that can trigger a really low rev limit, on old arctic cats they wont even rev high enough to move when tripped

i had a 93 indy 440 (basicly the same engine) that would do that. it would sit at about 3500-4000 max at WOT. idles fine. i rebuilt the carbs,(new inlet needle/seat, needle jet/ jet needle, new oem polaris jets (stock size) and new floats) , then Replaced the carbs with known good ones, put a new top end in it, changed the stator, coil, flywheel, entire wiring harness, fuel pump, all lines and throttle cables and eventually changes the entire motor and it still did it. took it to multiple snowmobile shops and nothing fixed it. it would rev out if i has very light on the throttle and then held it WOT when i got up to 7k rpm. it would work fine for 20 km or more, or until i let off even a little bit then it wouldn't rev anymore. spent 2 winters trying to get it to run and now its rotting in the bushes where its going to stay forever or until i decide to burn it or something.

13 hours ago, Carman said:

i had a 93 indy 440 (basicly the same engine) that would do that. it would sit at about 3500-4000 max at WOT. idles fine. i rebuilt the carbs,(new inlet needle/seat, needle jet/ jet needle, new oem polaris jets (stock size) and new floats) , then Replaced the carbs with known good ones, put a new top end in it, changed the stator, coil, flywheel, entire wiring harness, fuel pump, all lines and throttle cables and eventually changes the entire motor and it still did it. took it to multiple snowmobile shops and nothing fixed it. it would rev out if i has very light on the throttle and then held it WOT when i got up to 7k rpm. it would work fine for 20 km or more, or until i let off even a little bit then it wouldn't rev anymore. spent 2 winters trying to get it to run and now its rotting in the bushes where its going to stay forever or until i decide to burn it or something.

Dang that sucks.it turned out to be the cdi/coil. It is supposed to advance the timing as it revs but it didn’t. Try that with someone’s and ask to borrow before you buy it, just to try and see if it works