Superbike to dirt bike conversion?

Unless you have the money to toss away your decision to walk is the right one. If it worked properly I imagine it would be fun for a weekend or two but the weight and novelty will probably get old quickly. After you get tired of it, YOU will be stuck with a "cool bike" that you probably can't sell unless you part it out. 

If just the Engine is in good condition, you'd buy it just for that. $2000, is (incredibly) Cheap for a Healthy RC51 / VT1000R / SP 1-2 engine.

You could easily sell on an RC51 engine and whatever ancillaries,  for quite a lot of money.

If you want to see people have a heart attack / loose their minds,:foul:---- find an RC51/ VT1000R/ SP1-2 dedicated web site. and put up pictures of this Monster / abortion / anything you want to describe this bike as. 

Edited by Bearorso

And, apparently we're getting the bike.  I was out at $2000 - but my cousin decided to split it with me, IF we got the price we wanted.  My cousin worked his way up to $1600, got called a F***face, and told the guy he had until 2:30pm to take it.  At $800 each, I don't feel like it's such a huge risk

Okay, purchase aborted, even at $1600.  The bike would fire with the guy spraying ether into the air filter, but wouldn't run.  He claimed it was a battery issue, that if the battery put out less than 12v that the injectors wouldn't run - I have no idea if that's true, but I certainly wasn't taking his word for it.  It was really dark out, but my cousin noticed rust spots at the weld seams when the bike was otherwise fairly pristine looking.  That may or may not have been an issue.  He didn't like the look of the rear shock, and thought it might need replaced.  The guy was really bouncy, and wouldn't make eye contact with anyone.  He put way too much effort into acting like he didn't care if we bought the bike - well, if you went down from 2500 to 1600, you definitely really wanted the money.  He also described the bike as a hill climber - I don't doubt it had some hill climbing ability, but it's not a "hill climber" - but quickly backed down and said "well, that's not what the bike is for" when he was called on it and had it pointed out that the swing arm was way too short for a hill climber.  We think he knew what was wrong with the bike, but wasn't saying.  The guy was dodgy as hell, the bike's not worth the risk.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:20 AM, Maplicito said:

Okay, purchase aborted, even at $1600.  The bike would fire with the guy spraying ether into the air filter, but wouldn't run.  He claimed it was a battery issue, that if the battery put out less than 12v that the injectors wouldn't run - I have no idea if that's true, but I certainly wasn't taking his word for it.  It was really dark out, but my cousin noticed rust spots at the weld seams when the bike was otherwise fairly pristine looking.  That may or may not have been an issue.  He didn't like the look of the rear shock, and thought it might need replaced.  The guy was really bouncy, and wouldn't make eye contact with anyone.  He put way too much effort into acting like he didn't care if we bought the bike - well, if you went down from 2500 to 1600, you definitely really wanted the money.  He also described the bike as a hill climber - I don't doubt it had some hill climbing ability, but it's not a "hill climber" - but quickly backed down and said "well, that's not what the bike is for" when he was called on it and had it pointed out that the swing arm was way too short for a hill climber.  We think he knew what was wrong with the bike, but wasn't saying.  The guy was dodgy as hell, the bike's not worth the risk.

Where is this bike located? Can't find it on kijiji 

It could be a lot of fun for someone - or a real money pit, or significant injuries.  I struck out on another bike today too - a Yamaha IT 175.  The guy described it as needing work, but running strong - it sat for 2 months not being bought, so I offered him $400, down from the $600 he was asking.  Well, I drive three hours to check it out, and he can fire up the engine if he primes the cylinder, but it won't run off the gas tank.  To add to that, I believe the rear shock bottomed out when I sat on the bike, the front brake cable is snapped, and there's a nice, several inches long split in the gas tank.  It might be worth it to someone to restore, but I've already got an IT 175 and a partial IT 200 that have got my focus for that.

5 minutes ago, Maplicito said:

It could be a lot of fun for someone - or a real money pit, or significant injuries.  I struck out on another bike today too - a Yamaha IT 175.  The guy described it as needing work, but running strong - it sat for 2 months not being bought, so I offered him $400, down from the $600 he was asking.  Well, I drive three hours to check it out, and he can fire up the engine if he primes the cylinder, but it won't run off the gas tank.  To add to that, I believe the rear shock bottomed out when I sat on the bike, the front brake cable is snapped, and there's a nice, several inches long split in the gas tank.  It might be worth it to someone to restore, but I've already got an IT 175 and a partial IT 200 that have got my focus for that.

I'd take the risk depending on the money, put some supermoto wheels on it have an absolute street legal hooligan machine 

Just now, Atolduso said:

I'd take the risk depending on the money, put some supermoto wheels on it have an absolute street legal hooligan machine 

If it turned out that it was just the battery like the guy claims, and the welds were more solid than we suspect, it would have been a riot for sure - I was already leery at needing an out of province inspection though - but if I had money to burn, I might have taken it anyway.

Just now, Maplicito said:

If it turned out that it was just the battery like the guy claims, and the welds were more solid than we suspect, it would have been a riot for sure - I was already leery at needing an out of province inspection though - but if I had money to burn, I might have taken it anyway.

What province was it registered in? 

Just now, Atolduso said:

What province was it registered in? 

It never has been registered in Canada - and he supposedly bought it from someone else in Southern Alberta and didn't know where it was from - makes me think it was a US salvage bike.

Just now, Maplicito said:

It never has been registered in Canada - and he supposedly bought it from someone else in Southern Alberta and didn't know where it was from - makes me think it was a US salvage bike.

Oh, I did not know that. That is silliness, definitely a smart pass.

• Like 1

My cousin has built a couple of similar things out of old roadbikes, they're fun to hack around the orchard on, but not even remotely fun anywhere else. Maybe on a bulldozed forestry track it may be ok.

If you had the money to burn I'd say get it for the experience, but not if you want something to actually use as a trailie.

1 minute ago, DEATH_INC. said:

My cousin has built a couple of similar things out of old roadbikes, they're fun to hack around the orchard on, but not even remotely fun anywhere else. Maybe on a bulldozed forestry track it may be ok.

If you had the money to burn I'd say get it for the experience, but not if you want something to actually use as a trailie.

My cousin and I have been toying with the idea of starting a YouTube channel for awhile, and that would have been a way to start it with a bang... he also really wants a KTM adventure bike, and wants me to get a street legal bike to go with him - it's not happening, but he had it in his head that if we got that bike, it would get me on the road.  Aside from all that - I was concerned that it would be a fun bike for kicks and giggles, until the novelty wore off, and then I'd be just as stuck with a "stupidly fun" bike that really isn't good at anything in particular that I no longer felt like riding.

• Like 1