Set ups for Bibs

Out of curiosity, if you were a suspension tuner and your client ran bibs exclusively on rooty, rocky, hacked out hare scramble track, how would you adjust that valving in relation to how you would do the same for tubes or tubeliss or would you make it the same?

thank you.

I cant answer for enduro, but for MX it is no difference if you ran the tire pressure at 0.8bar or similar. If you where running tire pressure much higher to avoid flats, you might want to speed up rebound one click when going to mousse but that is also valid if you would change tire brand.

All in all, there is no big difference, we are talking about extreme fine tuning.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, AEES said:

I cant answer for enduro, but for MX it is no difference if you ran the tire pressure at 0.8bar or similar. If you where running tire pressure much higher to avoid flats, you might want to speed up rebound one click when going to mousse but that is also valid if you would change tire brand.

All in all, there is no big difference, we are talking about extreme fine tuning.

I too often wondered the same question as the OP. In my opinion it's not about tire pressure.    I would think you need to consider the weight of the bib vs. the weight of a tube or tubliss.  But as stated, I've been told the difference is negligible.  I'm sure the factory teams are testing and tuning using to what their riders are using.  

2 hours ago, moto367 said:

I too often wondered the same question as the OP. In my opinion it's not about tire pressure.    I would think you need to consider the weight of the bib vs. the weight of a tube or tubliss.  But as stated, I've been told the difference is negligible.  I'm sure the factory teams are testing and tuning using to what their riders are using.  

This was the basis for my question, you're correct.

6 hours ago, robw122 said:

This was the basis for my question, you're correct.

No difference, racing tube (3mm) does not weigh that much less then a mousse. We are talking about 100-900grams typically in difference depending on brand.  The difference is bigger between different tire brands or even rims/wheels. 

Biggest difference is in tire pressure. If I run tubes in rear, I have to be at 1.2bar and I still have major risk for flat. Pro I know run up to 1.5bar for a rough track with square edge stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't change anything going from TuBliss to Nitro mousse. That didn't mean I didn't notice a change which I did. I felt less upspring "bounce" for lack of words when switching to the mousse. The mousse deaden the hits and the forks felt more settled but not slow.