firefinch

App or website for planning/mapping out a ride?

The searches kept bringing up tracking apps, I am looking for something to plan one out in CA.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

8 hours ago, firefinch said:

The searches kept bringing up tracking apps, I am looking for something to plan one out in CA.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Are you planning on using it in a GPS?

I was trying to plan out a route on my computer or phone in advance. I could use it as a GPS, but am trying to figure out approximate distance of a ride for fueling.

I have been using gaia recently.  I do pay the $20 a year so I can download maps for offline use.  On my phone I use the IOS app.

From PC it is a little easier to create routes due to larger screen.  I have built several routes now and have had good results.  It is also very easy to import GPX files through IOS.

I also have a TT voyager on my bike, but more and more I am using my phone for navigation.  The GPS on newer phones is spot on.  Having off line maps is a huge benefit when your out in the boonies.  I usually have a few layers ready like caltopo, usfs2016, national map, gaia topo. 

1 hour ago, chadzu said:

I have been using gaia recently.  I do pay the $20 a year so I can download maps for offline use.  On my phone I use the IOS app.

From PC it is a little easier to create routes due to larger screen.  I have built several routes now and have had good results.  It is also very easy to import GPX files through IOS.

I also have a TT voyager on my bike, but more and more I am using my phone for navigation.  The GPS on newer phones is spot on.  Having off line maps is a huge benefit when your out in the boonies.  I usually have a few layers ready like caltopo, usfs2016, national map, gaia topo. 

Thanks! I just ordered a TT Endurance 2 for my YZ250X to figure out fuel range, but will use my phone for nav most likely. I have no idea what the range is trail riding and am trying to figure all this out. I've started to venture out on longer rides recently and am trying to get everything set up for those.

Edited by firefinch

On 12/4/2018 at 10:19 PM, firefinch said:
On 12/4/2018 at 5:41 PM, filterx said:

I was trying to plan out a route on my computer or phone in advance. I could use it as a GPS, but am trying to figure out approximate distance of a ride for fueling.

If your just trying to plan a route and not export it to use it in a GPS, Google Earth (which does use KMZ files that could be used in an Android GPS app like Oruxmaps) and it has the measuring tool for drawing lines and getting distances or maybe Google Maps?

I use the Rever app. You can mark out a whole loop using satellite images on your P.C. save it through their site in your profile. Then download the maps prior to losing service and pull it up on your phone app and follow the line.

Honestly I think the best way is just to study a good topo map and your route. Then bring that topo map with you on the ride, and use a gps for position reference.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:49 AM, firefinch said:

i do all the planning and route plotting on my phone. 

occasionally I'll export it to Google earth or Google my maps so i can link it to other folks easily.

it's just so fast and simple on the phone, might as well.