Bm1997

18" or 19" front wheel?

So I've got a perfectly good spare 21" front wheel laying around, I had this thought that instead of spending $1k on 17" sm wheels, would there be any value in lacing a 18" or 19" rim on my spare front hub? Maybe later down the line pick up a cheap used rear wheel and have a set of 18/21 off-road wheels and 18/(18 or 19) street wheels. I know I've seen threads on 18/19 set ups so I'm sure I can find where they got their rims and spokes, but I've never seen anything about 18/18 so I'm not even sure if there's rims and spokes that would make that work.

I think 17s would still be cheaper. I looked into it myself and concluded and there just aren't options for 18/19 fronts. I wanted to have a street tracker style thing going on, but there aren't many good tire options, and even fewer spoke and rim options.

If you find a good option then I don't see a problem with it.

I used a 19" front on one of my XT's and run a Shinko 705 tire(110-19?) , 18" rear with a 150-18, 705 as well , works goof but not a huge selection of tires for either of those sizes compared to 17's for sm's . I just don't 100% care for the small looking 17" front on bigger bikes .

Edited by jjktmrider

17 hours ago, Bm1997 said:

So I've got a perfectly good spare 21" front wheel laying around, I had this thought that instead of spending $1k on 17" sm wheels, would there be any value in lacing a 18" or 19" rim on my spare front hub? Maybe later down the line pick up a cheap used rear wheel and have a set of 18/21 off-road wheels and 18/(18 or 19) street wheels. I know I've seen threads on 18/19 set ups so I'm sure I can find where they got their rims and spokes, but I've never seen anything about 18/18 so I'm not even sure if there's rims and spokes that would make that work.

just buy some street tires in 21/18, and enjoy the traction. 

you do not need to change wheel diameters 

1 hour ago, ohgood said:

just buy some street tires in 21/18, and enjoy the traction. 

you do not need to change wheel diameters 

This is what I do, but I'd love to have 19" wheels for the street. I think it looks pretty cool on the DRZ.

I’m running 18/18 on my Street Tracker DRZ. Since a few OEMs have gone 18/18 there is now decent street rubber in those sizes. 

• Like 1

I've often thought about changing my 17 inch front to a 19 inch front just like all adventure bikes use. I could see benefits when the roads start to get rutted, as mentioned 21 inch rims still go around corners well, I just fitted a trials tire to my other bike that has 21 inch front and it now handles as good as any road bike I have tried 

IMG_20181105_100145.jpg

14 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

This is what I do, but I'd love to have 19" wheels for the street. I think it looks pretty cool on the DRZ.

Me too, I went to the flat track races in New Jersey this past October and really liked the look of the AFT singles bikes. Looked into a 19/19 set up with dirt track style tires for my '11 S. But changed my mind because of the cost and limited tire selection especially for the rear. I did a SM conversion years ago on my previous '04 S and it got expensive, a lot of fun though!

12 hours ago, Gary in NJ said:

I’m running 18/18 on my Street Tracker DRZ. Since a few OEMs have gone 18/18 there is now decent street rubber in those sizes. 

Where did you get your rim and spokes? 

On 12/5/2018 at 3:39 PM, ptgarcia said:

i bet ! the 17 looks hilarious on the front, live it's over of those non proportional play toys from China 

21 hours ago, Gary in NJ said:

Buchannan's

What width rim are you using? Got any pics? I've seen pictures with 19" front but never seen an 18" on a drz

My DRZ no longer looks like a DRZ.  The photo was taken before I installed a front fender (street bike style). Right now it's all torn apart for powder coating, paint and suspension lowering.

On the front I went with a 2.50 to use for a 110/90 section front (I did this for looks, otherwise I'd use a 100) and at the rear I used a 3.50 for use with a 130/80.

IMG_3061.JPG

• Like 3

My DRZ no longer looks like a DRZ.  The photo was taken before I installed a front fender (street bike style). Right now it's all torn apart for powder coating, paint and suspension lowering.
On the front I went with a 2.50 to use for a 110/90 section front (I did this for looks, otherwise I'd use a 100) and at the rear I used a 3.50 for use with a 130/80.

IMG_3061.JPG.2c7c14a2cfe678ba9b840597533a1b25.JPG
Wow that's a crazy looking drz. Any details on the build?

21 hours ago, Juney said:
On 12/7/2018 at 1:04 PM, Gary in NJ said:

IMG_3061.JPG.2c7c14a2cfe678ba9b840597533a1b25.JPG

Read more  

Wow that's a crazy looking drz. Any details on the build?