How much do you spend per ride/per year riding dirt bikes?

20 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

If my wife did that I wouldn’t have a wife!

Ha!  She's a good one, and we balance each other out.  I'd spend nearly every dollar, she'd still have the first one she ever made.  I buy what I want, but it doesn't always come without a back rub and a conversation, at least the big dollar stuff.  Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I was shocked when I saw the number.  I wouldn't change it, I have had 2 new bikes since 13, my son has too, and she refuses to let us skimp on gear, while we look like stormtroopers out there, we are well protected!

• Like 4

Per ride I’d say $60-$150 depending on where I am choosing to ride, location.

Lately I have been spending quite a bit because I have broken something every time I’ve gone out.

The last 5 weekends I’ve rode cost me close to $700 in repairs, gas/premix, upgrades winter gear.

For the year I’m sure it’s well over $3,000 for food, gas, repairs and gear upgrades or replacements.

To put into perspective my Fishing or Hunting cost more than all of it and I do it multiple times a year as well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YZScott said:

That feels about right. I get a real giggle out of folks arguing in the forums about which rear knobby is best based on a $15 difference in purchase price.  If you ballpark a rear at $100 and I get 40 hours out of one, its $2.50 per ride just for the knobby. So making a big deal of $15 difference in cost over just 6 rides does not compute.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MXR said:

Hey Thumpertalk,

Has anyone else added up how much they spend per ride or per year to ride dirt bikes? When I was younger, back in the late 80’s, a guy who rode a lot and was a motorcycle mechanic told me it cost around $50 per ride. I started thinking recently, how much do I spend now? My usual ride timr is around 3-4 hours, and I go around 20-25 times a year. Before, I share my estimated costs, I’m curious how much you guys spend.

Just gas, premix, wear and tear parts, gear, park or trail fees, and cost/depreciation on your bike or bikes. Let’s keep travel expenses out, because that can vary greatly for each one of us. How much per ride or per year do you spend?

I would estimate $100 per ride, but I have a feeling if I go back and add up all the RMATV, OEM, aftermarket, and ebay orders and divide by number of rides, it comes out to be much more. Total spent on my dirt bikes I still ride 25,500.  Crap, Now I am thinking more like $400 a ride.  Pretty sweet hobby!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YZScott said:

Lately I have been spending quite a bit because I have broken something every time I’ve gone out.

The last 5 weekends I’ve rode cost me close to $700 in repairs, gas/premix, upgrades winter gear.

For the year I’m sure it’s well over $3,000 for food, gas, repairs and gear upgrades or replacements.

To put into perspective my Fishing or Hunting cost more than all of it and I do it multiple times a year as well.

That's for riding local and by that I mean within 100 miles ,and I do a lot of that,Ihave a place just 20 minutes from my house.and then I do at least 2 or 3 trips out west each year and those trips can get very expensive but like was said earlier I don't care because it's what I like doing so unless it get crazy expensive I don't care. Next spring we are going to New Mexico to ride and then in the summer I will probably go to Colorado, and I already have reservations in Moab in the fall.

• Like 2

between gas and food for a day trip close to a $100 I think. I try not to think about it but I added up how much I’ve spent on sport bike tires and it was 10k over the coarse of 4 years! 

No doubt, riding sport bikes at the track makes dirt seem very affordable.
  • Like 2

I've spent more money on bikes and everthing that goes with them to probably have a REAL NICE chunk of change. But really never thought about it that way. The only way I've ever thought is do I have enough money for the bike or part or gas or whatever. Yes or no and then I don't ever give it a second thought. Everytime I've ever bought a bike I've never once thought of resale value. I buy them to enjoy them plain and simple. It's a part of me; my love for bikes and all that comes with it. Bikes have given back to me more than I've ever spent on them even though its a money losing venture as they say.

I was actually listing all the parts down and things to do on my cr250r last night. All the prices for everthing. I looked at it once and thought well this is going to be expensive, and then gone. Never gave it another thought. Why? Because when I'm done the the happiness and joy of what I did ( to be honest i enjoy working on my bikes almost as much as riding them )and what that bike is going to bring me riding it, faaarrrr outweighs anything I could spend.

Stop bean counting and enjoy the bikes. They really are a gift from God. 

• Like 5

Dirt biking has got to be the cheapest Motorsport out there. Top of the line new bike is $10k give or take, all new gear is $1500 for good stuff, add $1k for upgrades parts. Only need a pickup or car large enough to install a bike carrier, so no need for any specialized haulers. Parts aren’t super expensive and bikes are simple and easy enough to repair at home for cheap. They don’t use a lot of fuel, etc. I know guys who spend $2k in one weekend drag racing their $80k cars that are towed with big diesel trucks and enclosed trailers.
Bottom line is I couldn’t care less how much I’ve spent on my dirtbike hobby. It’s how I unwind and clear my head. I’ve been told to go riding by my gf if I’m in a foul mood, I always come home feeling much better. It’s cheap therapy!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pat22043 said:

That feels about right. I get a real giggle out of folks arguing in the forums about which rear knobby is best based on a $15 difference in purchase price.  If you ballpark a rear at $100 and I get 40 hours out of one, its $2.50 per ride just for the knobby. So making a big deal of $15 difference in cost over just 6 rides does not compute.

I would of thought this too until I moved to Arizona.  Tires are my biggest expense. Running a Shinko rear, Bridgestone fronts my cost is $16 / ride. 20 tires a year and I wear them till knobs are nearly gone.  The good news is Arizona doesn't  wear brakes, chains, and fork seals much at all.

Cost per ride $65 for 4 stroke bought new, $20 for 2 stroke bought used. Big difference is depreciation as I only rode the 4 stroke 2 years.

• Like 1

I know you said not to include travel, but I would have to.  I own some property nearby, that I can ride very economically, except that I spent a lot to buy the property and improve it so I'd have a nearby place to ride.  But, my more typical riding these past two years:

A trip with my son in 2017 to Moab, Rabbit Valley and Montrose, CO.  I drove up from the Alabama Gulf Coast, he from Michigan.  A week in a hotel and a week of a guide we typically use.  Bought a trials bike while there.

A trip this year to Montrose with my daughter-in law.  I drove up from Alabama, flew her in from Michigan.  Two hotel rooms for a week, and guide for a week.  Bought an XTrainer while there.

12 trips up to Michigan (again driving up from the Gulf Coast).  Hotel rooms when we traveled to the UP or northern LP.  Bought a CRF230 on one of the trips.

In summary, I don't want to add it all up.  I'm just having a lot of fun in retirement.  And I definitely don't want my wife to add it up either!  :bonk:

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 3

Guys. Thanks for all the feedback. I totally agree it’s worth every penny I spend on riding. It’s my absolute favorite thing to do. I think about it all the time. Just going in my garage or seeing my two bikes when I come home makes me happy. I enjoy wrenching and talking about every aspect of it with my friends. I just try to make sure I’m not being irresponsible and keep putting my family first. My wife trusts me and doesn’t question me on my spending. I try to buy used bikes that are in good shape to limit the depreciation/interest costs. Also, I drive a cheaper used SUV instead of driving a nicer newer vehicle to justify the money I spend as it is. My wife doesn’t pressure me, I do it because it feels like the right thing to do. I’d love to have a new bike someday, and when our income is higher, Ive caught up in my retirement account, and my kids are set for college, etc. I’ll do it then.

So my annual costs for riding, not including the costs of my two bikes or gas to and from my local riding area, is around $2000-$2500 per year. That’s for 20 times a year with an average 3-4 hours per ride.

That’s premix/gas, gear, wear and tear parts, oils, suspension etc etc. I will say it seems to cost a bit more when I first get a bike getting it dialed in. I think holding onto my bikes longer will help keep it lower.

• Like 3

Probably $80 a ride, $2000--3500 a year. I race tho so there a ton of wear and tear on bike and gear. Last/this year probably spent $2000 on gear alone (only buy the best bc my health is worth more than a $100 helmet and boots). New tire every 3 trail rides and 2 races. New helmet after so many hard hits, oil change every race or 3hrs of trail. the list goes on and on. Hard not to spend big $$.

• Like 1

LOL. Driving back from a ride Sunday, my son and I were comparing dirt bike riding to other sports. He said sports like golf and skiing are considered bourgeoisie (he likes to use big words so I had to Google it) compared to dirt bike riding. I told him that may be the perception, but I know of no golfer or skier that spent $10,000 for their equipment just to trash it out every time it's used.
When you get really good and can no longer tolerate the pace of play golfing on hack courses with the hoi poloi, it can get expensive very quickly. I was spending 500-1k a month on gas and greens fees for several years, playing 3-5 days a week at multiple courses. That doesn't count tournament travel, entry fees and regular Benjamin side skins on multiple holes per round. My brother burned a 50k cash sponsorship in 2.5 months on the Buy.com Canadian Tour while sleeping in his car and living on potatoes.
  • Like 3

That's for riding local and by that I mean within 100 miles ,and I do a lot of that,Ihave a place just 20 minutes from my house.and then I do at least 2 or 3 trips out west each year and those trips can get very expensive but like was said earlier I don't care because it's what I like doing so unless it get crazy expensive I don't care. Next spring we are going to New Mexico to ride and then in the summer I will probably go to Colorado, and I already have reservations in Moab in the fall.
Gonna ride with CJ and the Pilot?
  • Like 1

I was a golf nut for about 10-12 yrs, 3-6 hcp. I was spending about 15-18k per year doing that, the same amount I'm spending right now on dirt. 

Golf was very stressful and competitive, but not dangerous. This is relaxing and recreation, but dangerous. 

• Like 3