MXR

How much do you spend per ride/per year riding dirt bikes?

7 hours ago, Red NT said:

That's a Motoz Tractionator I/T @ 47.5 hrs. It's on the back of a 450. Mostly intermediate terrain but some rocks as well. Will replace it with an M5B soon as the monsoon hits but is okay for a couple more rides. Had a GoldenTyre fatty on the front for 100 hours and only replaced it because I wanted something skinnier. 20181207_165632.thumb.jpeg.bcb5b4463ef30552b3f996c9201ce8c2.jpeg2041517099_Moonshine20hill_Moment.jpeg.10bec8cd86e06e95e0a40d6ced11035d.jpeg

How many are you getting out of the new evos compared to the old m5b.

That's a Motoz Tractionator I/T @ 47.5 hrs. It's on the back of a 450. Mostly intermediate terrain but some rocks as well. Will replace it with an M5B soon as the monsoon hits but is okay for a couple more rides. Had a GoldenTyre fatty on the front for 100 hours and only replaced it because I wanted something skinnier. 20181207_165632.thumb.jpeg.bcb5b4463ef30552b3f996c9201ce8c2.jpeg2041517099_Moonshine20hill_Moment.jpeg.10bec8cd86e06e95e0a40d6ced11035d.jpeg 

On a side note. I run the Kenda Washougal front tire on both my bikes and really like it. Can you tell me what feeling and bite the Golden Tyre fatty has? I’ve been interested in that or the Shinko Fatty. Price isn’t my main concern. Performance is. A good front tire increases the fun and is cheap wrecking insurance lol

Dirt biking has got to be the cheapest Motorsport out there. Top of the line new bike is $10k give or take, all new gear is $1500 for good stuff, add $1k for upgrades parts. Only need a pickup or car large enough to install a bike carrier, so no need for any specialized haulers. Parts aren’t super expensive and bikes are simple and easy enough to repair at home for cheap. They don’t use a lot of fuel, etc. I know guys who spend $2k in one weekend drag racing their $80k cars that are towed with big diesel trucks and enclosed trailers.
Bottom line is I couldn’t care less how much I’ve spent on my dirtbike hobby. It’s how I unwind and clear my head. I’ve been told to go riding by my gf if I’m in a foul mood, I always come home feeling much better. It’s cheap therapy!
Lol right on the money... it makes me laugh when some think its expensive.... they haven't done much else..... cheap Compared to my car addiction... 20170622_181612.jpeg
  • Like 2

I also ride a lot at 7-8k in off road miles per year.  

Holy hell! I have just shy of 500 hours of expert class speed on my current bike and just a bit over 8k miles, 99.9% off road. You either ride super fast trails, or just ride a shit ton (maybe a combo of both)!
  • Like 1

How many are you getting out of the new evos compared to the old m5b.
M5B's are special order here in Australia and I never got to use the old type. This evo will be the first M5B that I use so will have to wait and see how long it lasts.

1 hour ago, woods-rider said:

Holy hell! I have just shy of 500 hours of expert class speed on my current bike and just a bit over 8k miles, 99.9% off road. You either ride super fast trails, or just ride a shit ton (maybe a combo of both)!
emoji1591.png

Mostly gnarly stuff, but yeah. 100-120 days per year. Just notched my 95th ride partner of the year too. Meeting folks is part of the fun. 

1 hour ago, partsguy57 said:

Lol right on the money... it makes me laugh when some think its expensive.... they haven't done much else..... cheap Compared to my car addiction... 20170622_181612.jpeg

The kids were kicked out, bedrooms converted to garages...

27 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Mostly gnarly stuff, but yeah. 100-120 days per year. Just notched my 95th ride partner of the year too. Meeting folks is part of the fun. 

Wow, I need to quit my job. I can see that it's getting in the way of my true potential.

• Like 1

The kids were kicked out, bedrooms converted to garages...
Lol no.. that's all pure shop... from day one... that is my old shop as I recently sold my place. Working out a small 26×36 for now.. only one lift instead of three and a large amount of tools in storage. My next shop will be bigger and even nicer then this one as I now have a better idea of what I want/ need after building this one... next shop coming this summer..
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Wow, I need to quit my job. I can see that it's getting in the way of my true potential.

I'd get bored fast if I rode that much. . . or at least it seems like I would. I currently have 5 main hobbies that I do somewhat regularly: Dirt Bike, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Fly Fishing and watching TV. . . TV is the only one I don't get bored doing too often.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, unrooted said:

I'd get bored fast if I rode that much. . . or at least it seems like I would. I currently have 5 main hobbies that I do somewhat regularly: Dirt Bike, Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking, Fly Fishing and watching TV. . . TV is the only one I don't get bored doing too often.

The riding is so good and plentiful it’s hard to get bored of it. I’m also a freak. When I’m into something, I’m really into it. 

• Like 1

On a side note. I run the Kenda Washougal front tire on both my bikes and really like it. Can you tell me what feeling and bite the Golden Tyre fatty has? I’ve been interested in that or the Shinko Fatty. Price isn’t my main concern. Performance is. A good front tire increases the fun and is cheap wrecking insurance lol
I have run both Shinko and GoldenTyre fattys up front. One on a 200 and the other on the 450. IMO they are better on a 2 stroke or maybe a 250F as they do slow the steering down a bit. Both give a good planted feeling and never really feel like they are going to wash out. Heavy mud is a problem for them as they have trouble shedding it and can be like riding on slicks. I preferred the GoldenTyre as the Shinko is really tall and needs to be used with a tall Shinko rear like the 505 otherwise will mess with bike geometry too much. Downside of these big front tyres is they want to climb up out of ruts which can get hairy at speed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red NT said:

I have run both Shinko and GoldenTyre fattys up front. One on a 200 and the other on the 450. IMO they are better on a 2 stroke or maybe a 250F as they do slow the steering down a bit. Both give a good planted feeling and never really feel like they are going to wash out. Heavy mud is a problem for them as they have trouble shedding it and can be like riding on slicks. I preferred the GoldenTyre as the Shinko is really tall and needs to be used with a tall Shinko rear like the 505 otherwise will mess with bike geometry too much. Downside of these big front tyres is they want to climb up out of ruts which can get hairy at speed.

I run the Shinko 505 in the rear.  Love that tire.  I’ve had great grip and wear with it. I’ve never shed a knob either 🙂I might try the Shinko fatty first then. Plus, they’re cheaper so it won’t be a total waste if I don’t like the feel.  I ride really rocky terrain so maybe the taller tire will minimize a chance at a pinch flat too.  Kind of like running an 18 inch rear.  Don’t know if that makes sense.  Just a thought.  Thanks for the in-depth explanation. 

On 12/5/2018 at 3:47 AM, MXR said:

Hey Thumpertalk,

Has anyone else added up how much they spend per ride or per year to ride dirt bikes? When I was younger, back in the late 80’s, a guy who rode a lot and was a motorcycle mechanic told me it cost around $50 per ride. I started thinking recently, how much do I spend now? My usual ride timr is around 3-4 hours, and I go around 20-25 times a year. Before, I share my estimated costs, I’m curious how much you guys spend.

Just gas, premix, wear and tear parts, gear, park or trail fees, and cost/depreciation on your bike or bikes. Let’s keep travel expenses out, because that can vary greatly for each one of us. How much per ride or per year do you spend?

I log fuel, insurance and parts costs etc for each of my motorcycles, but don't dare check the summaries except for the mileage...

• Like 1

An MX weekend for us (me and 2 kids riding 1 class each) is about $500. Includes food, fuel (truck/bikes/generator), booze etc. Open practice the day before the race and camping fee included. Wouldn’t have it any other way though. Kids love racing and the wife loves watching and cheering!