gatorfan

Semics vs Dubach

Gary, you are suddenly very active here so I'm hoping you will weigh in on this.

Cornering: You stress going from braking to accelerating with no coasting. Dubach stresses the importance of coasting in between.  I started with your method (I bought your vids) but have switched to DD's cornering method and it has helped.  I'm a rare bread though, 57 y.o novice. I'm curious which technique is more mainstream and if experience is the main factor. Cheers.

• Like 1

Dubach's method is more common among C and low level B riders bc it's easier to do, especially on 4 strokes.  I believe my, no coasting, method is more efficient and applied more with the higher skill level riders.  For example, I've heard that Blake Bagget and some other pros, use a special clutch, so the engine doesn't have any engine braking.  This is bc they want to control the brakes, all on their own.  I have watched the pros use the brakes many times, and have founded my techniques accordingly.  Of course, I have tried their techniques and applied them into my automatic (muscle memory) techniques. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, as there will be certain types of corners where this will not apply.  For example, long, sweeping rutted, corners, where a lot of momentum is carried all the way through the corner.  But, in most corners, I believe no coasting should be taking place. 

Here's a good video showing why this method is best.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

On the gas or on the brake 😊 what i was tought as young beginner.  I do prefer free wheel effect of the twostroke tho. Either way if you're coasting around you're getting passed 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 3

Anyway you do it....currently dubachs way is helping you, but the goal should be semics way. Use dubachs way to learn semics way and you will be faster. Gas on or brakes on should be a thought while riding, the closer you come the faster you go

• Like 2

Gas on or brakes on should be a thought while riding, the closer you come the faster you go

And with much better control.
  • Like 2

One tip i could give is just get a finger on that clutch. When you get good with it youll find you never pull it in all the way, just 1/4 pulls. Ken roczens mechanic says he pulls the clutch in most corners but its only a tiny increment to keep any sort of stall from happening. Gary Semics has a video where he uses front brake, back brake and then front and back brake in a sweeper that ends with a hard left. He shows the engines importance, the front brake and back brakes importance, and how they all work together. Its perfect science and can make a guy like me with little to no natural talent pass people in corners like a pro.

• Like 2