Am I the only person who can’t change a tire to save their lives?

20 hours ago, filterx said:

Ya there's a weird bug going around where I live and thankfully I've avoided it so far and hope you're feeling better dude.

Otherwise I have not read through this whole thread cus the topic has been post a lot but

The dunlop vid really helped me change a tire in about 10 min once off the bike.

With out getting into all the details and some of this might have been covered but

I don't do tires enough to invest in a tire stand (and one of my local dirt bike shop owners doesn't use one) so I like to use a milk crate on an old carpet cus the crate is super sturdy and I can use easily use my knee to hold down the bead into the rim as needed while I work the tire into the rim in front of me with leverage.

IMO the Shinkos are over all soft tires compared to say a Maxxis Desert IT but regardless I warm the up for a few hours in the sun or on a chair if front of an open oven set at like 350 and obviously not to close :)

2 motion pro irons and a spoon once every thing is set up and lube. Beer to start, beer between tires, beer when done :)

20160615_173955.thumb.jpg.09c26f7b465a8413e806d0182c0ed89e.jpg

Thanks, Hopefully il be good and all set to ride by next weekend. It’s a nasty bug, I’m finally on the getting better end of it.coughed up a golf ball sized ball of snot and got my voice back this morning.

the shinkos weren’t too bad to mount, neither was Michelin starcross tires. A 6ply IRC ve33 was the hardest tire to put on for me. 

• Like 1

:canada:?...........I read the same complains in 1955 when old TRELLEBORGS where rostet SOLID to the steel rims.

And it is so easy.I mean,it was easy with air tubes and now with Mousses (where you cant pinch any tubes) its even easier.Lololol

We do the so called STOP and GO with two wheels in 10 minutes.You just have to be WILLING to learn and do it right.

Yes and have the proper tools.Learn  how to do it in the field or at your home.That makes a hell of a differend because in the fields you have to do it with a minimum of tools means short levers.

At your home OK,if you have a mashine fine,but train to do it by hand.

OLD Trick # 16.Take a C-clamp to brake a beat on an old tire and work the tire off on the opposite side.Use dishwasher soap on and off.Use talkum powder on a new air tube.

Use a few beat body tools at home like in my pics.Pics show Mousse mounting at the shop.( I have a right to be lacy ....)....Lololololol This series shows when I had to do a complete wheel in ca 5 hours.

DSC07001.JPG.b4fd7e7f0c58d014b85d3a3d08a616bd.JPGDSC06999.JPG.437b3a2715d854df2ab45bb34b10e0a4.JPG

DSC07000.JPG

DSC07002.JPG

DSC07003.JPG

DSC07004.JPG

DSC07005.JPG

DSC07006.JPG

DSC07007.JPG

DSC07008.JPG

DSC07009.JPG

DSC07010.JPG

DSC07011.JPG

DSC07012.JPG

DSC07049.JPG

• Like 2

You can almost see how easy it is.I have in my rims a drilled out valve stem installed. After the tire and Mousse is mounted I can blow trough that valve stem compressed air to seat the tire properly to the rim.

Yes since the Mousses came to our market long time ago,I have not used a air tube anymore.

No ruined trail ride anymore,no tools and tubes and pumps to carry.No bend rims anymore.

All my Zuendapp running mousses.Lolololol

On 12/5/2018 at 5:39 AM, pat22043 said:

Its all touch. Or karma if you prefer. You simply have to do it a bunch and learn how to do it.

Talk to your local dealer and have them let you have a bunch of take-off tires and tubes. Practice. 

This!

Quantity, practice, that's what it's about.

I too make it nine times out of ten and feel like a million, then I find out in brush, that no, maybe I just happened to pinched the tube...

Some tires are just harder too!  Some of the stiff DOT tires are a major PITA.  Softer, thinner sidewall moto tires are much easier.  Back in the day in college I had a dirt tire and a paddle tire, we used to time ourselves and race to see how fast we could change them.  First time I did it, took me close to 2 hrs for a rear tire.....which was a paddle tire and I had it on backwards...doh!  

I got it down to 15 minutes, which also included removing wheel and re-installing wheel and tightening the axle nut and I ain't no pro mechanic.

Got out of the game for a while, when I got back into it, I pinched (3) tubes installing a DOT tire....it was a huge PITA.

With that said, It's a relatively simple "process".  If things need to be forced, something is wrong.  Sometimes you get yourself into situations where you have no choice but to force it....but that means you either skipped a step or screwed the pooch along the line.  When I get it right, it goes very easily and is a piece of cake.

My tips:

1) take your time

2) learn from your mistakes

3) watch you tube videos

4) pinch a couple tubes

5) buy a rabaconda.....

• 2 weeks later...