RawbW

Am I the only person who can’t change a tire to save their lives?

7 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Stop fooling around and get one of these;

http://www.bajanopinch.com/

It is in the top 10 for best tools of all-time for me.  

probably a great recommendation, my problem is i see people who can do it easily with just irons and i want to be one of those people lol.

1 hour ago, RawbW said:

probably a great recommendation, my problem is i see people who can do it easily with just irons and i want to be one of those people lol.

I was having a hard time my first go around. I bought spoons instead of irons, and use way more lubrication now. It has gotten pretty easy other than getting the valve stem through the rim. I use Windex as lube, and if you think there is enough go ahead and put on a whole lot more.

I am not real quick, but it's no longer difficult.  Now changing bearings is a different story, I still stuck at that.

Edited by joemc04

The trick to getting the valve through the rim is to put the tube in the tire , add a little air . Then push the tire against the rim , put the valve through and put the nut on . Finish mounting the tire ….easy . 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:

They've become mostly easy for me, music, alcohol, lots of soapy water in a spray bottle, mp spoons. I did just notice I put my new directional front on backwards though.

Look at it right side up, the arrow is backwards on the floor facedown

• Like 1

Tires changing is one those weird skill sets that’s one part science/skill and two parts luck.

Some times it goes oh so smooth. You feel like man I got this figured out. I would put Guido from Pixar’s “Cars” to shame. “Pit Stop”.

Then the next time you change a tire it’s two hours later and you’re bruised and bloodied and thinking I never want to install another tire ever again. You’re thinking maybe I should just give up riding all together...

After a lot of years and frustration, I finally have it figured out for the most part. Practice makes perfect...or at least I’m forgetting fewer of the technique between tire changes.

My five year old and I removed four old tires and installed four new tires in 2.5 hours last Saturday. Lots of soapy water and patience. I’m running Tubliss in all four tires. Tubliss is nice since there’s no tube to worry about getting the valve stem seated or pinching the tube.

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.e5489fb4c5f48dc0c6e1924a694d15bd.JPG

We even installed a new Tubliss system in one of the front rims.

If I can, I try to do multiple tires at a time. Kinda like cleaning a bunch of air filters all at once. It seems once you’re in the groove it becomes fairly routine.

• Like 2

Motion Pro bead buddy is a huge help. If you are having trouble spooning it on, it is always the bead, somewhere it is not in the right place. I can almost always bounce the last 2-3 inches of tire bead into position with using windex as lube. Minimal chance of pinching a tube then.

• Like 2

I've never had an easy tire change either. I decided to cheat, look up the zip-tie method. I found some video of a small child doing it with this method and have ever since not had a single issue.

IF YOU AINT CHEATIN YOU AINT TRYIN

Only did one. Took me and a buddy 2 hrs to get it mounted. Had a mousse in it. Obviously I don’t have the technique down lol. I pay $25 for a shop to do it, the only thing I take to a shop, other then rear shocks. I have lots of other projects and stuff to do when I’m at home that I could be far more productive doing. I’ll get all the tools to do it myself one day but it’s just not high on my priority list right now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ss-racing said:

check out Dunlop's Brian Fleck ...he's crazy fast!

Just realized some things that would help me in this vid. I was popping both bead off the same side!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RawbW said:

Just realized some things that would help me in this vid. I was popping both bead off the same side!

Glad to hear it. Yes, definitely don’t wanna do that !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ss-racing said:

Glad to hear it. Yes, definitely don’t wanna do that !

I don’t know how I’ve been doing it that wrong for so long haha. Welp, guess my next tire change may be an improvement lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RawbW said:

I don’t know how I’ve been doing it that wrong for so long haha. Welp, guess my next tire change may be an improvement lol.

Don't feel bad,  I spent many years doing it wrong too :)  

I can't do it as fast as Brian Fleck in the video, but I think he cheated there somewhere.  LOL

Here's me swapping out a punctured tube a couple months ago. 

Edited by ss-racing
  • Like 1

I once tried to put on Maxxis Desert IT’s during winter onto rims without lube. I hadn’t ridden in 15 years and forgot that was part of this process. I look back now and laugh. But, during the time I was yelling, praying, and then hobbling with a sore back and busted up knuckles. Now I change tires with my buddy and he’s the expert. I work on his bike doing stuff he doesn’t like, and he changes my tires.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ss-racing said:

Don't feel bad,  I spent many years doing it wrong too :)  

I can't do it as fast as Brian Fleck in the video, but I think he cheated there somewhere.  LOL

Here's me swapping out a punctured tube a couple months ago. 

I’ll see how my next change goes now. Cool vid btw. I just changed both tires to try out the shinko 216 fatty/525 hybrid combo. I did one tire each night since I’ve been hammered with the flu I’ve only had the energy to do one per day. I was hoping to ride this weekend with the new combo but I don’t think I’m going to be better by tomorrow. I get tired going from the bed to kitchen at this point lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RawbW said:

I’ll see how my next change goes now. Cool vid btw. I just changed both tires to try out the shinko 216 fatty/525 hybrid combo. I did one tire each night since I’ve been hammered with the flu I’ve only had the energy to do one per day. I was hoping to ride this weekend with the new combo but I don’t think I’m going to be better by tomorrow. I get tired going from the bed to kitchen at this point lol.

Ya there's a weird bug going around where I live and thankfully I've avoided it so far and hope you're feeling better dude.

Otherwise I have not read through this whole thread cus the topic has been post a lot but

The dunlop vid really helped me change a tire in about 10 min once off the bike.

With out getting into all the details and some of this might have been covered but

I don't do tires enough to invest in a tire stand (and one of my local dirt bike shop owners doesn't use one) so I like to use a milk crate on an old carpet cus the crate is super sturdy and I can use easily use my knee to hold down the bead into the rim as needed while I work the tire into the rim in front of me with leverage.

IMO the Shinkos are over all soft tires compared to say a Maxxis Desert IT but regardless I warm the up for a few hours in the sun or on a chair if front of an open oven set at like 350 and obviously not to close :)

2 motion pro irons and a spoon once every thing is set up and lube. Beer to start, beer between tires, beer when done :)

20160615_173955.thumb.jpg.09c26f7b465a8413e806d0182c0ed89e.jpg

Ya there's a weird bug going around where I live and thankfully I've avoided it so far and hope you're feeling better dude.
Otherwise I have not read through this whole thread cus the topic has been post a lot but
The dunlop vid really helped me change a tire in about 10 min once off the bike.
With out getting into all the details and some of this might have been covered but
I don't do tires enough to invest in a tire stand (and one of my local dirt bike shop owners doesn't use one) so I like to use a milk crate on an old carpet cus the crate is super sturdy and I can use easily use my knee to hold down the bead into the rim as needed while I work the tire into the rim in front of me with leverage.
IMO the Shinkos are over all soft tires compared to say a Maxxis Desert IT but regardless I warm the up for a few hours in the sun or on a chair if front of an open oven set at like 350 and obviously not to close
2 motion pro irons and a spoon once every thing is set up and lube. Beer to start, beer between tires, beer when done
20160615_173955.thumb.jpg.09c26f7b465a8413e806d0182c0ed89e.jpg

But you do it wrong. Me and Betarocker do it right. Bead on, tube in, bead on.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HevyRotashunz said:

But you do it wrong. Me and Betarocker do it right. emoji57.png Bead on, tube in, bead on.

Ya I believe I was drunk while I was watching that and actually completely forgot about it :)

• Like 1