Smallboreadv

Can I drill into a head tube?!

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how I want to mount my navigation tower on my 450x. I’m not crazy about the idea of welding a block to my head tube. I see that there are several large tabs on the head tube, this got me thinking.. could I drill and tap a couple of mounting pints for my navigation tower? Obviously I would have to avoid the top and bottom (bearing and race). I don’t believe the steering stem is flush on the inside of the head tube. Any thoughts? IMG_8612.JPGIMG_8600.JPG

• Like 1

Another option if you don’t want to drill would be to either modify a couple of steering dampener mounting bracket. They seem pretty stout and also simple. My gut tells me not to drill into any part of the frame unless I have no other choice. I’m sure if you also call the guys at jim cambell racking they could tell you how they set up desert bikes. Who knows maybe they do it they same way you want to. Good luck

• Like 1

Another option if you don’t want to drill would be to either modify a couple of steering dampener mounting bracket. They seem pretty stout and also simple. My gut tells me not to drill into any part of the frame unless I have no other choice. I’m sure if you also call the guys at jim cambell racking they could tell you how they set up desert bikes. Who knows maybe they do it they same way you want to. Good luck

I’m sure they weld a block into the head tube

Perhaps drill/tap + a Time-Sert style insert would be stronger than simply tapping / bolting into aluminium.

18 hours ago, Smallboreadv said:

I don’t believe the steering stem is flush on the inside of the head tube

The steering stem is typically much smaller than the bore in the frame, say at most about 30mm / 1-1/4" in diameter.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

If you do drill and tap the steering head, remove the triple clamps and clean the grease out so it does not collect shavings. After drilling and tapping be sure to re-grease everything before assy.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I ran a Honda style steering damper on several aluminium framed Yamahas . I fabricated my own brackets and did just that, drill and tap. The steering head  has enough wall thickness to do this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rembrand said:

I ran a Honda style steering damper on several aluminium framed Yamahas . I fabricated my own brackets and did just that, drill and tap. The steering head  has enough wall thickness to do this.

Don't want to hijack the thread but, I'm about to try and do just that, fit a Honda damper on a Yamaha. Do you have any pics of your work? Any advice on where exactly to install?

2 hours ago, no hand said:

Don't want to hijack the thread but, I'm about to try and do just that, fit a Honda damper on a Yamaha. Do you have any pics of your work? Any advice on where exactly to install?

I don't have my Yamaha anymore, what year is yours?

8 hours ago, Rembrand said:

I don't have my Yamaha anymore, what year is yours?

Mine is a 08yz250. My worry is also is that it would not be sturdy enough, or to weaken the part where I have to drill. The tripleclamp for example, I'm a bit scared to drill a hole into it... Has anyone had bad experience with a damper post coming loose or the threaded hole becoming elongated with time? 

Mine is a 08yz250. My worry is also is that it would not be sturdy enough, or to weaken the part where I have to drill. The tripleclamp for example, I'm a bit scared to drill a hole into it... Has anyone had bad experience with a damper post coming loose or the threaded hole becoming elongated with time? 

I hope they will be strong because I’m holding an entire navigation tower to my head tube . But if anything happened to the threads you could just drill and tap the next size up.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Smallboreadv said:

I hope they will be strong because I’m holding an entire navigation tower to my head tube emoji28.png. But if anything happened to the threads you could just drill and tap the next size up.

Real nice and clever mounting on the steering tube, shure looks strong enough. Fabricating the cowling and all must be quite a big challenge too, anxious to see it 👍

Consider a U bolt around the top of the frame neck to give the upper part of your bracket some more rigidity. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Consider a U bolt around the top of the frame neck to give the upper part of your bracket some more rigidity. Just a thought.

10763885840_IMG_1776.thumb.JPG.bbca455444be7d4ab95e062c37fee08a.JPG

Yes I thought about the leverage it might have. Good idea with the U bolt, however I don’t think it is possible with the frame. You can see from this angle I gave the bracket some material perpendicular to the mounting surface to help reinforce it. I am also going to drill and tap a bolt on each side of the bracket. That way if the bracket wants to torque forward the rear bolts will have a shear force acting on them. As long as the bracket doesn’t yield it should be ok

• Like 1

IMG_8650.JPG10763885840_IMG_1778.JPG

Just a few pictures of the project. Also I realize now that I posted this in the Yamaha thread. I was aiming to have it in a crf 450x thread. Any way to move it? I am a noob at thumper talk

2 minutes ago, Smallboreadv said:

Just a few pictures of the project. Also I realize now that I posted this in the Yamaha thread. I was aiming to have it in a crf 450x thread. Any way to move it? I am a noob at thumper talk

One of the mods can assist you in that @Ud_Luz

One of the mods can assist you in that [mention=5840]Ud_Luz[/mention]

Thank you. I didn’t see any “rally bike” or “bike builders” forum. Kinda surprised they didn’t have one, or maybe I just missed it.

IMG_8650.JPG.ea6469bd96a86184e413209e0b49e386.JPG10763885840_IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.de1276c77eadebf04cc765415e9f7ce7.JPG

I see. I didn’t notice the side flanges in the other pictures. I think if you can manage a bolt on each side you should be good. I really like your idea and progress so far. I’ve wanted to build a rally tower for my 650L as well. Looks like you’re well on your way.
  • Like 1