Smallboreadv

Can I drill into a head tube?!

7 hours ago, no hand said:

Mine is a 08yz250. My worry is also is that it would not be sturdy enough, or to weaken the part where I have to drill. The tripleclamp for example, I'm a bit scared to drill a hole into it... Has anyone had bad experience with a damper post coming loose or the threaded hole becoming elongated with time? 

Check Ride Engineering. They sell a kit for your bike but also show a video for your installation which gives you a good idea how to make your own. For the bottom I made a L-shaped bracket that bolted on with the fender and I used washers for spacers on the rear bolts. Good luck.

• Like 1

This looks super rad! I had my head tube welded by Race Co so I can run the race light kit or the Race Co rally nav tower. But this tower is gonna look sick. 

• Like 1

This looks super rad! I had my head tube welded by Race Co so I can run the race light kit or the Race Co rally nav tower. But this tower is gonna look sick. 

Thanks man! It has been in design for over a year so I am very excited to see some progress. Also would like to make a rear fuel tank.

I see. I didn’t notice the side flanges in the other pictures. I think if you can manage a bolt on each side you should be good. I really like your idea and progress so far. I’ve wanted to build a rally tower for my 650L as well. Looks like you’re well on your way.

Thanks man! It’s been a dream of mine for several years.

2 minutes ago, Smallboreadv said:

Thanks man! It has been in design for over a year so I am very excited to see some progress. Also would like to make a rear fuel tank.

I would be very interested in buying this tower 

• Like 1

I would be very interested in buying this tower 

I have thought about making them. I have all my templates saved so maybe in the future after I work all the bugs out I have a rally scheduled in May so the bike has to be done and tested by then.

4 hours ago, Smallboreadv said:

10763885840_IMG_1776.thumb.JPG.bbca455444be7d4ab95e062c37fee08a.JPG

Yes I thought about the leverage it might have. Good idea with the U bolt, however I don’t think it is possible with the frame. You can see from this angle I gave the bracket some material perpendicular to the mounting surface to help reinforce it. I am also going to drill and tap a bolt on each side of the bracket. That way if the bracket wants to torque forward the rear bolts will have a shear force acting on them. As long as the bracket doesn’t yield it should be ok emoji1303.png

Just curious how much does the navigation equipment weigh? Please excuse my unfamiliarity with rally bikes. This looks like a fun project for sure

• Like 1

Just curious how much does the navigation equipment weigh? Please excuse my unfamiliarity with rally bikes. This looks like a fun project for sure

Not that heavy. I am designing my tower so that I can swap between a road book holder (more for racing).. and a custom adventure one (gps Montana, gauge cluster, and I have an iPad I use for gps when I am not somewhere super remote). I will try to get a picture.
Tower needs to be strong because it stretches away from the bike, so that weight has a lot of leverage on the mounts. And if I crash I don’t want my tower to rip off the bike.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Def sounds like your thinking way ahead! Best of luck and thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. Def sounds like your thinking way ahead! Best of luck and thanks for sharing

Haha yes! I have been planing this for some time now take it easy
  • Like 1

What rally are you going to do?

“Roaming Rally Classic” it’s a 3 day event in Ontario Canada. Teams of 3, live off the bikes, no support. More off a hardcore adv ride. IMG_8477.JPG
  • Like 2

Any progress on the tower build?

I have a design worked out, however I am currently in finals week so that has me consumed. I will start making the tower on Thursday. Progress should be fast, just some cutting and welding needs to be done.

Awesome! Obviously I can’t wait to see progress. Good luck on finals!

Thanks man! I will keep you up to date I’m also thinking about copying all my templates into CAD. That way if anyone wants to make one I can send them all the dimensions. They would just need to have the aluminum cut and a few bends put in it.

Go for it! It would be hard for me to use as I don’t know anyone with that equipment/ skillset; but I figure there are many out there like me that want to go that direction and I’m sure someone will be able to use it as a plug and play type solution.

• Like 1

Any progress on the tower build?

IMG_8763.JPGIMG_8764.JPGIMG_8769.JPGIMG_8762.JPG
Got some progress on the tower, just working out all the angles. I will probably need to extent the fairing out an extra 2”. The bars come close to the tower at full lock.
  • Like 2