Plated bike

I've been exploring the idea of getting a plated bike. 

My questions are going to relate to the 50 state legal bikes. Not plating an off road version. If I could do that where I live, there would be a lot more options. (CA)

I'm looking for something to connect single track trails not dual sport. 

This narrows it down to               Beta RR-S, KTM EXC-F, Husky FE. 

I'm normally a 2 stroke rider and would rather plate a 300. Not going to happen here. 

I do not want anything bigger than a 350. I've ridden bigger bikes and I don't like them for the type of riding I intend to do on it. I prefer the Beta 350 over the 390. I have been on both. 

I've had the upportunity to ride a number of 4 strokes. I've found I like the 250-350 size the most. Favorites being the Yamaha YZ250FX and Beta 350 RE. 

So, I'm eyeing the 350 RR-S, 250EXC-F, FE250. 

Turn offs to the KTM/Husky is the amount of work needed to get these bikes to run correctly. ECU's, Exhausts, Airbox reeds, etc....

I don't mind doing the mods if there is a clear recipe that gets me the most out of the machine. But there seems to be mixed opinions and reviews on how to do this. 

There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about this with the Beta. I would rather have a 250, but if the path to a sweet running bike is much easier,  I think I could live with the 350. 

Can any of these bikes be made to work well in the gnar?

Is the Beta easier to get there? Is it possible to get it close to an RE?

What are your experiences with any of these bikes?

Thanks 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chief said:

My questions are going to relate to the 50 state legal bikes. Not plating an off road version. If I could do that where I live, there would be a lot more options. (CA)

I'm normally a 2 stroke rider and would rather plate a 300. Not going to happen here. 

I do not want anything bigger than a 350. I've ridden bigger bikes and I don't like them for the type of riding I intend to do on it. I prefer the Beta 350 over the 390. I have been on both. 

I've had the upportunity to ride a number of 4 strokes. I've found I like the 250-350 size the most. Favorites being the Yamaha YZ250FX and Beta 350 RE. 

Turn offs to the KTM/Husky is the amount of work needed to get these bikes to run correctly. ECU's, Exhausts, Airbox reeds, etc....

I don't mind doing the mods if there is a clear recipe that gets me the most out of the machine. But there seems to be mixed opinions and reviews on how to do this. 

There doesn't seem to be as much discussion about this with the Beta. I would rather have a 250, but if the path to a sweet running bike is much easier,  I think I could live with the 350. 

Thanks 

I can’t speak on the newest 350 . I have a carbed 350 race and a 300 rr and an even older 525 RS Beta. I’m different than you though as Id rather have a 430 for ex over a 350!or a 390 or a bigger bore. ..but a 350  is good. There’s no problem in the gnar but a bigger bike like a 390 or 430 is better in the gnar because it has more torque. I guess it’s how you ride and where you are riding too. It works fine though. There’s no special tuning from what I can tell. Maybe just gear down a little? Guard up your plated Beta RR-S and go riding. I ride alot of gnar. 2 strokes are the best but here we are also limited to 50 state street legal thing here aswell. In that case a 4t Beta rr-s anything is good to me. Good luck shopping and gathering info. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 hours ago, Chief said:

Thanks 

Beta's are the easiest to get there since they are less restrictive to start with. With that said Beta's are also thirsty compared to the others and come stock with a smaller tank. As a plated bike this could play heavily into your buying. We have a 2017 FE250 with emissions items removed, FMF 4.1 muffler, changed gearing, fuel rail (dealer prefers this in his set-up) and correctly set TPS. Bike has no major issues with flame outs, some when new like most brands. We removed the backfire screen and still no mapping changes. Bike has plenty of power and was just as fast as my 2017 Sherco 300f. Even with the gearing changes it could run 55-60 without too much buzzing. Beta and KTM/Husky transmission are very similar in spread. I prefer linkage and with a great dealer, points me to the Husky. I would have to assume the KTM is a bit leaner since the airbox design is more free flowing. FE350 seems to be leaner and while just a little bit heavier feels like 50lbs. Most people I talked with that had a FE350 would go FE250 or FE450 if they had to do it again buying a DOT compliant bike. My choice would be the 350rr-s or a left over FE250.

We race our FE250 and ride on some gnarly trails. No issues with either bikes, just set it up for your riding.

It sounds like you’re real close to deciding between the 350’s, straight off the showroom floor the beta is going to run better than the KTM. The beta’s are not leaned out so no worries on flameouts. With just a little tuning and some mods the KTM is a sweet running machine. Considering everything including the price the Beta has a slight edge over the others, you get the voyager gps and a mapping switch. As far as weight goes don’t let the few pounds sway you, on the Beta as soon as the wheels start turning it feels just as light. As said many times before you can’t really go wrong with any of these, all are excellent choices. Good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chief said:

Thanks 

As far as setting it up like a RE, it’s not much different to begin with. Just basically the fork and single injection over the dual injection of the RE. 

As far as getting it setup for the “gnar”, To get the most out of the motor just put on an FMF exhaust and get it re-mapped. That’s the exact way my son’s 350 was setup/ran when he raced one in EnduroCross on the factory team. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chief said:

Thanks 

My fave 4t is the Beta 390RE. I am #175 BN.

Not sure you can plate an RE, but the 2017RE map will work in the 2018 390RR. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, eloc said:

As far as setting it up like a RE, it’s not much different to begin with. Just basically the fork and single injection over the dual injection of the RE.

Not saying the dual injector of the RE doesn't run better, but I am saying there is no reason for a motor that size to need two injectors.

• Like 1

I really, really, really do not miss California at all. My Dad was just at the DMV in Orange County with an appointment for his DL renewal. Still took more than 5 hours to get out of there. I was just at our local DMV, and got this along with 3 other bikes plated. All in under 30 minutes. Strongly considered a personalized plate that said RNG-DNG.

image.png.5a9ed5685a02ee685ee2a81d824d4f7b.png

• Like 4