Sign in to follow this  

Idaho trails for beginning riders

I have a klx 140 G and have been riding for close to two years now. I usually go out once a week after work with my husband when its not too cold or snowing out. Since we live in Michigan, our season is not super long. I am not brand spanking new, but I would not classify myself as a proficient rider yet. The most technical trails I have encountered were out in Montrose Colorado and some single tracks up in Norther Michigan. I have not mastered wheeling over logs yet so when I come to down trees that are too big to just blurp over, I end up going around them.  We are thinking about going out to Idaho with my father in law to ride trails out there. Does anyone know of any good trails for beginner riders?

"Does anyone know of any good trails for beginner riders?"

Idaho is known for "World Class Single track". Technical Mountain single track. Sidehills, Switcbacks, Exposoure...

Very few legitimate beginner trails. Bill Dart sells Idaho trail maps with trail ratings. Green for beginner, Blue for Intermediate, Black for Expert...Be warned his trail rating scale is not in alignment with other States trail ratings. A Idaho Green trail would be rated Blue in other State's.

Most legitimate Green trail's have been poached by Quads or bladed into a Quad route.

Buy a set of Bill Darts maps and plan your loops to use Quad routes and Green trails. If you desire more of a challenge after a day or two of riding, try a blue trail.

You will need a chainsaw in your group. Their is no such thing as a "cleared" trail in Idaho. Most riding area's have had major wildfires. Dead tree's fall daily in the burn area's and area's of bark beetle infestations. Bill Dart also sells a front mount chainsaw rack. Fits Husqvarna and KTM's.

Trail rated maps and a chainsaw mount, essential to ride technical mountain single track, in Idaho.

In addition, Easy trail's (Green) frequently means Mtb and hikers. William's Creek and Big Boulder come to mind.

• Helpful 1