Cody Ludlum

Strapless tie down systems

I am working on setting up a designated dirtbike trailer. I have 3 bikes that go with me and it is a pain getting them tied down. I saw a picture of these on thumpertalk

https://www.24mx.com/proworks-quickload-transport-system-125-500cc

They seem like a cool idea, has anyone used anything similar? That website won't ship to USA. I see something that looks the same on amazon but they are 180$ vs $80 just a different brand.

I am looking for something that is safe, quick, and easier on suspension then ratcheting the bike down tight.

https://riskracing.com/

My guess is the Risk Racing clamps are the ones you saw on Amazon.  I know a guy that has them.  He loves them.  Only kicker is that if a buddy of his comes along with a 250 two stroke he has to load the smoker backwards or pick it up and over before clamping as the gap between the clamps won't clear the pipe.

http://www.mxmounts.com/

These are even easier, and is stone simple.  You can't remove them as easily as you can the Risk Racing setup to get back to a flat load surface, but they are much more economical.

All the bikes that will be in the trailer are 4 strokes, 2 WR's and a ttr.

Thanks for the input so far.

A few years ago I went to Moab with some buddies. We trailered 30 miles down a dirt road to ride the Enduro Loop and Dead Cow. Trailered 30 miles back. Didnt use a single strap but the pegs did make the top clamp look like a saw tooth.

I only see trailer hitch carriers on there site?

Oh they used to have something similar to the maxmount System.. I’m sorry.. I just copied the website down.. didn’t know they no longer had the multiple in bed thing..

5 hours ago, carlt828 said:

Didnt use a single strap but the pegs did make the top clamp look like a saw tooth.

I have some two year old RiskRacing clamps. They ate into the Pro Motion Billet footpegs on my bikes. So I had to add some aluminum angle to pad the jaws. I just got a mailing from RiskRacing and they seem to have a model with the pads already installed. Might not need it for stock steel pegs, but yeah, the forces are big. Its one thing to make the clamp look like a saw, its another to saw thru your $300 set of fancy footpegs.

• Like 1

Interesting find @Cody Ludlum 

I wonder why A. they wont ship here, or B. we dont have an aliexpress/Harbor Freight version that's available stateside. I know the risk racing Lock n load system garners a lot of people's attention, but its price makes most of us just keep using tie downs & wheel chocks or somehow getting more creative. Interested in hearing what you come up with!

Edited by tyler90

IMG_0346.JPGIMG_8969.JPGIMG_8805.JPG

I came up with these and now I use them in my toy hauler, van, mini trailer and pickup bed. I started by using a section of e-track or a single point e-track. Then an e-track quick release d-ring, quick link, turnbuckle and carribeaner. I now have replaced the turnbuckle with chain, which is quicker and easier to adjust.

1. Roll the bike and have the pegs in-line with the e-track
2. Lean the bike over to one side and hook the peg with the carribeaner.
3. Stand the bike up straight, lean over the seat putting your weight on the suspension.
4. Reach down and hook the other peg with the opposite carribeaner.

Boom! you’re good to go. The front wheel is able to move side to side, but under normal driving stays to one side. The bikes might move forward and back 2” tops. I have tested the system in the back of my truck taking a 90 degree corner with a big wind row in it at 30 MPH. Bike leaned over about 10-15 degrees then popped right back into place.

The best part is that each setup is about $10-$15 per bike. Haven’t used straps in any of my rigs for the last 18 months.

• Helpful 1

I bought the same stuff as Kyle, just have yet to install it. I think I seen your pics in another thread and loved the idea. Stuff I bought was stainless steel, so a bit pricier. Still less than the other options posted.

• Like 1

Thanks Kyle, I may try that. I am going to setup my trailer to exclusively dirtbikes so I think just using eyelets will work.

Any advice on where to get good quality carribeaners?

• Like 1

I just bought the heaviest rated ones they had at Home Depot. No bending, wear or failures up to this point.

Obviously in my toy hauler I can’t keep eyes on the bike. This system definitely puts my mind at ease when I hit a large bump or take a corner a little faster than I should have. I know in those same situations if I used straps I would be stressing that a bike came loose.