bluespark

Rear axle/nut

So the drive side (starboard) bolt head of my rear axle now spins loosely on threads, where it used to be a captive bolt head for tightening the the axle assembly. Maybe I spun it off it's thread locker with my 3' cheater bar?

I ordered some high strength thread locker to weld it back for now.

What's your method for tightening the rear axle w/o a torque wrench?

I would just buy a new rear axle.  Thread locker is not going to make new threads or keep the nut/bolt in the axle if they are now stripped. 

I have a $9.99 torque wrench from Harbor Freight but just snug the rear axle bolt with a big adjustable as I can tell when it is close enough.  

you definitely DONT need a 3-foot cheater bar ...the spec for my YZ is just 90 foot pounds

(that's about 1/2 your body weight (90#) on the end of a 1 foot long socket wrench)

• Like 1

Thats crazy, as is the torque spec for the alloy axel nut.  Surprised you didn't strip that too.  75Nm with greased threads.

13 hours ago, bluespark said:

I’ve not once used a torque wrench in 11 years of bike ownership. There’s simply no reason unless you’re servicing cams - but there’s no cams in my garage. 

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

I’ve not once used a torque wrench in 11 years of bike ownership. There’s simply no reason unless you’re servicing cams - but there’s no cams in my garage. 

About the only thing I really want to use the torque wrench on/is needed, are the upper fork clamps, the tops being someting like  17nm and the lower at 12nm.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, bluespark said:

So the drive side (starboard) bolt head of my rear axle now spins loosely on threads, where it used to be a captive bolt head for tightening the the axle assembly. Maybe I spun it off it's thread locker with my 3' cheater bar?

I ordered some high strength thread locker to weld it back for now.

Pull the axle and inspect the nut and axle threads. Most likely the nut threads are toast.

My thought was always that I might have to pull it on the trail, never wanted to make it too tight that would be a pain in the ass to do. Never had an issue without a torque

Edited by OscarFox
  • Like 1

The other thing that can happen from this crazy torque is the internal hub spacer gets distorted, and then you have the wheel bearings being axially preloaded, and failing prematurely.   I've seen this happen.  Every Italian motorcycle I have ever dealt with has had ridiculous torque specs in the manual, not even close to the accepted standards for thread and material. 

• Like 2