spezza-125

Throttle sticking

So I got an issue with my 85' xr250r. I went out to the track a few weeks ago and it was doing great. I did a check up before I went on the track and noticed a kink in my throttle cable, well one of them. Anyways when out there on the track I would hit some big jumps and after landing the throttle cable would stick. Luckily I didn't have any crashes due to it. Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? P.s it is the twin carb model (Two cables)

One cable is a push and the other is a pull cable. They both connect to the same throttle drum. If you couldn't physically rotate the throttle to the closed position, I don't think a kink is your problem, unless the cable is also extremely frayed inside the sheath at the kink, and causing it to hang up.

I'd be looking at something mechanical with the linkages between carbs, the slides and needles.

Disconnect the kinked cable from both ends and work the cable in and out by hand, feeling for inconsistencies and drag.

Wouldn't hurt to put a cable luber on both and get some lube into them on a bike that old with original cables.

Also, make sure the cables are adjusted properly. There should be almost zero free play in the throttle tube between the pull and push of the cables.

Edited by Trailryder42

If you can't remember when the cables were replaced last; then replace them.

Kink or no kink, it's a good place to start on a 30+ year old bike.

While you are replacing the cables, check the throttle housing, cable routing and as said above carb linkages.