nitrohuffer

Cold weather pudding clutch

My '02 300 has fresh mineral oil, and nice clean pushrod.  When it's cold if I pull in the clutch lever and let it go, it takes almost three seconds to return out.   Nature of the beast, or would rebuilding the slave or master help?

I am new to KTM and hydraulic clutches however that does not sound normal.  How cold? My clutch does not do that in the 40s. Have not tried it any colder.

29 minutes ago, Grant31781 said:

I am new to KTM and hydraulic clutches however that does not sound normal.  How cold? My clutch does not do that in the 40s. Have not tried it any colder.

Thanks for the info, i'm new to them too.  It does it in the mid 40's.  Did a Harescramble in November where the bike was outside all night.  It got better when it warmed up.  Trying to figure out if it's an indication that something is not right.   

Yeah that is not right. My clutch lever pops right out if I let go in the 40s. It sound like the piston is sticking in the slave or master.  I think the clutch springs push the slave out when you let go. Is your fluid level correct? Too much or too little might cause this?

38 minutes ago, Grant31781 said:

Yeah that is not right. My clutch lever pops right out if I let go in the 40s. It sound like the piston is sticking in the slave or master.  I think the clutch springs push the slave out when you let go. Is your fluid level correct? Too much or too little might cause this?

Fluid level is ok.  I bled it in sept.

There's more to what can effect that. The clutch pack itself and the type/weight oil your running in the crankcase would also have an effect.

I haven't looked at the operating temp specs between mineral oil and DOT4, but is your system "mineral oil only" ?

Did you check the fluid level again after the problem started? Cold fluid is harder to move so if you have a leak in the slave or master, it would likely make the leak worse. It may have been leaking a little since you checked it.  I could not find anything suggesting mineral oil did not work well in cold. 

what mineral oil?  might need a lighter viscosity?  might have a fouled o ring on the slave piston? could be junk in the master return holes, could be your lever adjustment isn't letting piston retract out fully??

58 minutes ago, Trailryder42 said:

There's more to what can effect that. The clutch pack itself and the type/weight oil your running in the crankcase would also have an effect.

I haven't looked at the operating temp specs between mineral oil and DOT4, but is your system "mineral oil only" ?

motul 75w, Mineral oil only

47 minutes ago, highmarker said:

what mineral oil?  might need a lighter viscosity?  might have a fouled o ring on the slave piston? could be junk in the master return holes, could be your lever adjustment isn't letting piston retract out fully??

Mineral oil is walmart brand. LOL! Didn't know they made different weights. What should I use?  Lever is clean, and adjusted properly.   I think you're right with the slave piston.  I'll do a rebuild on both slave and master and give it a good cleaning.

Magura blood will fix that. It's way thinner and about 100x more expensive. Regular mineral oil is fine until it gets cold as you have discovered.

• Like 1

maybe go to a bicycle shop and get some mineral fluid, that laxative oil is probably too thick. 

1 minute ago, highmarker said:

maybe go to a bicycle shop and get some mineral fluid, that laxative oil is probably too thick. 

Thanks!  I won't feel as awkward buying either. 😨

You need to ditch the mineral oil and get a high quality DOT spec brake fluid 
Not in a KTM clutch. It's made for mineral oil. Brake fluid will ruin it.

51 minutes ago, nobade said:
3 hours ago, Boertmann84 said:
You need to ditch the mineral oil and get a high quality DOT spec brake fluid 

Not in a KTM clutch. It's made for mineral oil. Brake fluid will ruin it.

Well I learned something I should have known, lol

• Like 1