Good lightweight toy haulers/campers

I have always wanted a toyhauler but most seem too long or too heavy. I drive a Ford F-150 with crew cab and V8, but from experience I would not want my trailer to be much over 6000#. The only one that I have found is a Jayco 222, but haven’t seen one in person. What do you have and what do you like or not like about them. P.S. Cost is a factor too!

With a half ton you usually run out of payload/tongue weight capacity before you run out of towing capacity.

Google "trailer towing guide" to see the actual capacities of your truck.  Depending on year, the payload rating in on a yellow tag inside driver door.

Look at grey wolf toy haulers.  Good price and under 25 foot models are good for a half ton.  I like my 22rr and would not want to go any heavier on tongue weight...

• Like 3

ATC trailers.... but if cost is a problem you are done..I have their all aluminum car hauler for my hot rods very very nice. I checked out a couple of their toy haulers In lake havasu a few months back it's a one time buy and your done as these trailers are built to last.. used sell for almost as much as new...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I have a 14' Carson Rebel that I love... it's small and high enough to go where most toy haulers can't..Has the basics,heater, fridge,stove toilet , shower.. I added solar panels..It's pretty cool.. Oh BTW.. the reason the YZ is in the back of the pickup is I have a rather large quad (Bombardier Outlander XT) in the trailer..I could still squeeze the bike in there but I like access to the kitchen/bathroom when traveling. If I don't take the quad I can put my three bikes in there..

camp.JPG

Edited by Snider
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

26 minutes ago, Snider said:

I have a 14' Carson Rebel that I love... it's small and high enough to go where most toy haulers can't..Has the basics,heater, fridge,stove toilet , shower.. I added solar panels..It's pretty cool..

camp.JPG

Have seen the Carson before and it seems to be a great compromise.  A toyhauler model sure would be nice for security on the long trips. But they are not distributed well, just out west it seems.

Edited by Piney Woods

I bought a KZ RV toy hauler in the early 00’s. Used it for enduro kart racing in the Midwest. Saved lots of money in hotels and food costs. Tracks let me overnight camp for free. Good quality from this manufacturer. I sold it almost 10 yrs later, for not much less than what I paid for it. 

Look at the KZ RV 190THLE         4075# dry  

Good luck with your search

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Refresh said:

With a half ton you usually run out of payload/tongue weight capacity before you run out of towing capacity.

Google "trailer towing guide" to see the actual capacities of your truck.  Depending on year, the payload rating in on a yellow tag inside driver door.

Look at grey wolf toy haulers.  Good price and under 25 foot models are good for a half ton.  I like my 22rr and would not want to go any heavier on tongue weight...

Tongue weight isn't a factor with a weight distribution hitch.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Refresh said:

Tongue weight is indeed a factor.  And anything over 400lbs or so id assume a WD hitch is in use.

Tongue weight determined by class of hitch

Edited by crepit

Whoa, you guys are overthinking this. He asked for "a toyhauler but most seem too long or too heavy." And then he said "P.S. Cost is a factor too!"

I clearly have it nailed at: DSCF5023.JPG.9abfbbd463538aed38c58a5f97274f31.JPG

Minivan with a hitch hauler. Camping comfort for 2 and over 600 miles on a tank of gas. 

I've had campers and trailers but I really like vans. This cube van was a great rig:

image.png.1a7fdb179f29e8a9697f8536af5961cb.png

Carried 2 bikes, 2 toolboxes and the mattress off my bed for a weekend at the track. $800 and I ran it for 2 years. Fuel mileage about the same as a pick up but at 2/3 the speed. 

Used this lightweight 24" trailer to haul 2 Argos behind a 1/2 ton Dodge:

image.png.e0b3a0a8aafdf17a177879d6b0f7dd4d.png

Pretty much ran at the truck's maximum weight capacity, required better tires to do so. You don't need as long or as heavy. 

image.png.a5111a0084a806a0670cc604d9d57eba.png

This 8' lightweight trailer did me for a quarter of a century. Would also carry a 660 Raptor quad and a bike.

image.png.a5fc05cb79901b8161cdfaad8547392e.png

Heck, I even throw throw my present quad inside the minivan:

image.png.7bdbaeac165fd17c73a743c8e5d643cd.png

You don't need a lot to have a good time. Sometimes we become slaves to our possessions. 

• Like 3

Picked in up in last June and so far have been quite pleased with a Travel lite Falcon 23TH. Tows well behind an 08 Tundra 5.7 and at just over 6’ wide it pretty much tracks in the same footprint of the truck. Has a front small queen bunk that is ready without having to unload anything if need-be, 2-battery’s, 2-bottles propane, wet-bath, and other amenities…..with room for 2-bikes and gear.

What I really like is that it’s big enough for multiple nights/days out, yet small enough that it’s no hassle for a day ride.

IMG_1607.JPG

• Like 6

Whoa, you guys are overthinking this. He asked for "a toyhauler but most seem too long or too heavy." And then he said "P.S. Cost is a factor too!"
I clearly have it nailed at: DSCF5023.JPG.9abfbbd463538aed38c58a5f97274f31.JPG
Minivan with a hitch hauler. Camping comfort for 2 and over 600 miles on a tank of gas. 
I've had campers and trailers but I really like vans. This cube van was a great rig:
image.png.1a7fdb179f29e8a9697f8536af5961cb.png
Carried 2 bikes, 2 toolboxes and the mattress off my bed for a weekend at the track. $800 and I ran it for 2 years. Fuel mileage about the same as a pick up but at 2/3 the speed. 
Used this lightweight 24" trailer to haul 2 Argos behind a 1/2 ton Dodge:
image.png.e0b3a0a8aafdf17a177879d6b0f7dd4d.png
Pretty much ran at the truck's maximum weight capacity, required better tires to do so. You don't need as long or as heavy. 
image.png.a5111a0084a806a0670cc604d9d57eba.png
This 8' lightweight trailer did me for a quarter of a century. Would also carry a 660 Raptor quad and a bike.
image.png.a5fc05cb79901b8161cdfaad8547392e.png
Heck, I even throw throw my present quad inside the minivan:
image.png.7bdbaeac165fd17c73a743c8e5d643cd.png
You don't need a lot to have a good time. Sometimes we become slaves to our possessions. 
Yup, truck and nice hotel room with lounge, hot tub and pool. At 100-150 a night, it'll take 70 nights to equal a decent toy hauler.
Did a lot of research and got this one. Super light weight (1600 lbs) all aluminum and comfortable for weekend trips. Really engineered well and solid. No bathroom however.

http://www.intechrv.com/explore.php
Must have a hot shower after a day of riding hard.
  • Like 2

I bought an Avenger 18th a couple of years ago.  It is under 5000 lbs dry.  Was told it was fine to tow with a 1/2 ton.  It was just ok to tow with the 1/2 ton.  I now have a 3/4 ton.  Don't believe the tow ratings or the salesman.   It isn't so much the trailer weight as it seems the wind resistance of the trailer plays a bigger part.  The 3/4 ton handles it much better.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, cotafan said:

Did a lot of research and got this one. Super light weight (1600 lbs) all aluminum and comfortable for weekend trips. Really engineered well and solid. No bathroom however.

http://www.intechrv.com/explore.php

Very impressive trailer, looks to be well engineered. Great options.

What is the approximate price where you are? 

• Like 1