Good lightweight toy haulers/campers

8 hours ago, gberry50 said:

I have towed my forest river grey wolf 27rr several thousand miles with two bikes using 2013 ford crew cab 5.0 coyote .I use a load leveler hitch and air lift

load levelers works great with all the comforts of home .

The last 1/2 ton that I had was a 2013 f150 4x4 with the 5.0 and 6 speed auto.  Once I put a Rzr and atv inside the camper, and 2 bikes in the bed of the truck - that poor thing had to pull in 4th gear at high rpm's to go anywhere.  It did it though.  

• Like 2

I bought an Avenger 18th a couple of years ago.  It is under 5000 lbs dry.  Was told it was fine to tow with a 1/2 ton.  It was just ok to tow with the 1/2 ton.  I now have a 3/4 ton.  Don't believe the tow ratings or the salesman.   It isn't so much the trailer weight as it seems the wind resistance of the trailer plays a bigger part.  The 3/4 ton handles it much better.  
Needz Torque.

10 hours ago, Babywolf said:

Lots of good info from TT, so far of the ones here the Falcon 23TH looks like what I am shooting for, but garage space looks small?

This may give some idea of the garage size,..... Took the pic when setting up the bike-shoe. I can get the Beta and the XC Husky in there with out much fuss.

IMG_1591.JPG

• Like 3

Bought my GMC 2500 in 99, decided I needed a toy hauler after I retired. I got a Dutchmen Razorback 1950. 24' hitch to bumper, 5800# empty. 80 g fresh, 40 g each black and grey water. 25 g fuel tank. Room for 4 bikes with easy kitchen access. Queenish bunk in frt, shitter NOT in shower!

20141108_150137.jpg

Edited by RichBaker
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, HevyRotashunz said:

Yup, truck and nice hotel room with lounge, hot tub and pool. At 100-150 a night, it'll take 70 nights to equal a decent toy hauler. Must have a hot shower after a day of riding hard.

Actually, this is good math here Hevy. Include the payments on the HD truck needed to haul it and the extra fuel to get where yer going, all of a sudden a hotel and small enclosed trailer behind a car makes good sense. Of course it all depends on distance and number of times per year.  Not much maintenance and upkeep on a hotel room too. 

• Like 1

Actually, this is good math here Hevy. Include the payments on the HD truck needed to haul it and the extra fuel to get where yer going, all of a sudden a hotel and small enclosed trailer behind a car makes good sense. Of course it all depends on distance and number of times per year.  Not much maintenance and upkeep on a hotel room too. 
I have a paid for tow rig, but also have no place to park a trailer on my small suburban lot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, Snider said:

I have a 14' Carson Rebel that I love... it's small and high enough to go where most toy haulers can't..Has the basics,heater, fridge,stove toilet , shower.. I added solar panels..It's pretty cool.. Oh BTW.. the reason the YZ is in the back of the pickup is I have a rather large quad (Bombardier Outlander XT) in the trailer..I could still squeeze the bike in there but I like access to the kitchen/bathroom when traveling. If I don't take the quad I can put my three bikes in there..

camp.JPG

This is def cool, and looks Ideal for my next camping rig.

Right now, I'm rocking an old Skamper pop up camper on the back of my Tacoma while towing a small utility trailer with the bikes on it, but loading the camper on the truck is precarious, terrifying, and a pain in the ass.  Its funny, b/c I wanted a truck camper for so long, they looked so cool, but after finding and building/restoring mine, I find that I'd rather just tow something, being able to hitch up and go, and un-hitch the trailer at camp to use the truck seems more ideal, plus the added benefit of the bikes being stored in the camper out of sight seems better as well.

Ive been looking at trying to find a Rebel like yours, they state they still make them, and they aren't too bad new, mind if I ask how much you paid for yours and what year it is?   Do you have any pics of the inside of, specifically it loaded up with your bikes, and also unloaded and set up/camp mode?  The specs look ideal for what I'm looking for, still lightweight enough to where my Tacoma should be fine to tow it, as I have my YZ 250, a Raptor 660, and a lil ttr110 I bring camping.

Im either going to try and find something similar to your trailer, or outfit an enclosed trailer, we'll see.

Edited by bikerbill2021

6 hours ago, bikerbill2021 said:

This is def cool, and looks Ideal for my next camping rig.

Right now, I'm rocking an old Skamper pop up camper on the back of my Tacoma while towing a small utility trailer with the bikes on it, but loading the camper on the truck is precarious, terrifying, and a pain in the ass.  Its funny, b/c I wanted a truck camper for so long, they looked so cool, but after finding and building/restoring mine, I find that I'd rather just tow something, being able to hitch up and go, and un-hitch the trailer at camp to use the truck seems more ideal, plus the added benefit of the bikes being stored in the camper out of sight seems better as well.

Ive been looking at trying to find a Rebel like yours, they state they still make them, and they aren't too bad new, mind if I ask how much you paid for yours and what year it is?   Do you have any pics of the inside of, specifically it loaded up with your bikes, and also unloaded and set up/camp mode?  The specs look ideal for what I'm looking for, still lightweight enough to where my Tacoma should be fine to tow it, as I have my YZ 250, a Raptor 660, and a lil ttr110 I bring camping.

Im either going to try and find something similar to your trailer, or outfit an enclosed trailer, we'll see.

I rocked a four wheel popup and utility trailer before the Rebel... It was cool but I like the Rebel better . I paid $7200 used for the Rebel in 2011..  la1.jpg

Edited by Snider
  • Like 1

On December 7, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Babywolf said:

I have always wanted a toyhauler but most seem too long or too heavy. I drive a Ford F-150 with crew cab and V8, but from experience I would not want my trailer to be much over 6000#. The only one that I have found is a Jayco 222, but haven’t seen one in person. What do you have and what do you like or not like about them. P.S. Cost is a factor too!

I'm in the same boat...been chasin' a toy hauler for almost 15 years. Just when I think I've found the one, they go and change something about it, it's discontinued or I find one that suits me better. 

In all my research, visiting various brand dealers, owning a camper and attending RV shows, I can tell you that brand absolutely makes a difference...and you'll pay for the better quality. ATC aside (can't afford $100K+), there's no comparing a Jayco to anything else...they are in a class all their own, but they're all pretty shitty compared to an ATC. 

Jayco finally came out with a TH I could live with for the next twenty years. It maxes out my truck, but I could literally live in it. What they have over the competition is great insulation, a strong roof, aluminum walls studs, a 2-year warranty and a legacy that goes back for decades that has always been the same company. There's a lot that can be said for a privately owned company going back 50 years with over a million units sold. The corporate MFGs that flood the market today, and for the last ten years or so, all sell various versions of uninspiring quality. 

23 minutes ago, Snider said:

I rocked a four wheel popup and utility trailer before the Rebel... It was cool but I like the Rebel better . I paid $7200 used in 2011.. It has PTI tags..la1.jpg

Thats pretty much my setup, just smaller.  I've always loved the look and build of the FWC, especially with how light they are compared to other campers.  Although gas mileage suffers, my lil Tacoma does just fine with what I have now.  Still, like you said, the truck campers are cool, and they make sense in certain applications, I think I'd still rather have something similar to your rebel.  Im not overlanding the Tacoma with the camper on it, Its my base camp, I use the bikes to go off road!

Heres my setup at the moment, I bought the camper for 100 bux, but it was trashed, def put a bunch into it to make it work, but aside from the loading/unloading, its been pretty great.

IMG-5734.jpg