dr00andrew

Suspension re-valving advice

I have an extra set of stock forks for a 125 lying around and want to re-valve them over the winter and set them up properly for my weight and riding style.  Several people on this forum have told me suspension upgrades is one of the best ways to maximize your bikes performance.   I understand that adjusting the rebound and dampening adjustments need to be set up for exactly where you're riding but what companies and kits would you recommend for re-valving the suspension?

Until recently, I have always sent mine to a tuner.  Earlier this year I did a race tech gold valve kit on a YZ shock, and it worked out really well.  I would not call it an easy job, but it was really not that difficult.  The next time I get a bike that needs a fork revalve, I will try a race tech kit.  

One thing to consider however, is the condition of the stuff you are starting with.  The shock I did needed parts, and by the time I bought the oil, race tech kit, and rebuild kit for the shock, it was about the same price as what my tuner would have charged to rebuild and revalve.  

• Like 1

Depending where you are one must factor in shipping on top of the tuning. I have Enzo and RG3 real close and go to Enzo over RG3 anymore since I get them done with pleasant people. JFYI: Arrogance has always turned me away from companies.

Look local as there are many places that will do a great job. Call, talk, explain, feel them out. 

It is the best mod you can do to "any year" bike. 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC

Depending where you are one must factor in shipping on top of the tuning. I have Enzo and RG3 real close and go to Enzo over RG3 anymore since I get them done with pleasant people. JFYI: Arrogance has always turned me away from companies.
Look local as there are many places that will do a great job. Call, talk, explain, feel them out. 
Arrogance can be indicative of technical excellence as well. Ive had good results from both super nice guys and not. I second the local tuner, the guy i just used is a mile from my house, very convenient.
  • Like 1

You can do wonders with just changing the shim stack, oil height and thickness and not revalving

1 hour ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Arrogance can be indicative of technical excellence as well. Ive had good results from both super nice guys and not. I second the local tuner, the guy i just used is a mile from my house, very convenient.

There is a certain flavor you can feel out. If something needs to be replaced, would you call the customer or wait for them to call you? Then act like an arrogant a$$ about not needing to call because it was your repair and you should have followed up if you wanted your suspension done? That's the flavor of RG3. FOAD for all I care. 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, HevyRotashunz said:
On 12/7/2018 at 7:25 AM, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Just found out my neighbors dad works at Race Tech. Hmmmmmmmm, Said he can get me anything I need on the cheap.

💗

• Like 1

Just found out my neighbors dad works at Race Tech. Hmmmmmmmm, Said he can get me anything I need on the cheap.

I’ll take a gold valve kit for an 01 Yz250 please, and throw in a seminar :)

Kidding of course haha, lucky dog!
  • Haha 1

Race tech will be good for you.

Then you can diy.

Here is what you should know though.

The engineers at kyb and showa are bright and can design the piston however they want.  Race tech insists you need moar flowz.  However the real motive is that in using larger ports, they require a stiffer stack.  If this stack was used on a std piston it would be much much firmer.  This is to prevent you from buying one kit and outfitting one or a dozen of your friends bikes.  The other reason is that youd feel quite penetrated purchasing a 2$ bag of shims for 150$, so they give you a little gold billet piece so you have something that feels valuble.  Btw dull shit grey type 3 hard anodize smokes type 2 with pretty colors any day.

Its kind of like software and a software key.

The shims are like the software can get the software from the mfg, or download it, but you need the key, which is the piston.

What pisses me off is that they use the guise that the kyb and showa engineers are stupid and its all about big ports.  Its not its about profit.

Also make sure you use a setup that doesnt ditch the MV for a check valve

• Like 1

If find the GV system is a very good learning tool to initiate yourself to suspension tuning,

except at a certain point there is lack of extra infos that the DVS / GV instructions and the RT Suspension Bible do not provide

leaving you at an 'intermediate' level of tuning knowledge.

An example would be it shows you how to make the G2R piston port restrictions softer, stiffer or of different preload but

it does not explain in which context these changes are needed.

Luckily there are forums like TT (suspension sub-forum) where trial and error experiences can be shared and, commented by more experienced tuners.

The basics I've learned on my GV equipped YZ125 has allowed me to experiment on my CRF250X

and a friend's CRF250R without the need to switch to RT components,

also with plenty of leftover shims from the kit and from the OEM ones removed from the YZ.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1