TE300i S3 Head

Anyone have experience with the 2019 TE300i and the S3 head?  Do I need to remap so the bike does not run lean with this new head?  The place where I am buying the head from is saying I need to remap.  The place where I bought the bike says the bike will learn and compensate for the modification.  Does anyone have any clarification or recommendations?  I am starting to think to just leave it stock to avoid all the headaches I am hearing.  

Edited by Dieselt

Just saying ........  why fix something that isn't broken?  The bike doesn't have enough power?  Maybe you bought the wrong bike.......... Not trying to upset anyone, do whatever you want with your own money, it is your business!  For the rest of us, it is entertaining watching the internet blow up over spark plugs on modded TPI bikes, guys ripping out the oil injection units because they don't trust them, so on and so on. Videos, blogs, and forums.  No shortage of entertainment watching people "fixing" problems with the bikes they just spent mucho bucks on.  Dieselt you just have to decide which side of the fence you want to be on?  Watching and laughing or "fixing" and spending!  Maybe I am just cheap.  I don''t know, someone will be sure to tell me!  LOL!  Rather be riding than wrenching.

Edited by Eric Wheeler
  • Like 2

It wont compensate  (not saying that it would need to).  There is a lot of yada yak ya going around about the stock plug burning the electrode off, examples seem to bikes with high compression non stock heads.  Guys I know with stock bike have good looking plugs.  Just sayin? fwiw. If you want more power maybe turn the throttle a little more?  better is often the enemy of good enough.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

I used to be a believer in leaving things alone.  Then I started riding more in the Rockies.  Pretty normal to buy a new machine and make high altitude adjustments right away.  Typically stuff does not run well out of the box here.  The bike is running pretty decent and clean but know that there is more there to be uncorked.  

Anyone running any performance heads or electronics on this bike yet?  

Edited by Dieselt
  • Like 1

There is a ton of performance, especially low end, to be gained with high compression or aftermarket heads. It was night and day on my 19 TX300, and I feel like it really should have came that way from the factory. Adjusting the carb was easy to compensate for the mod. No spark plug to change either. 

As far as TPI bikes go, I wouldn't even know where to start before I bought a hi comp head, but Slavens seems to think some plug change is in order. I think there is an aftermarket ecu out now, but its pretty pricey. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks 240ZDan. That sounds like what I am looking for.  What hi comp head did you put on your bike? 

All the Slavens stuff is kick ass but not so sure on using that setup in the winter with the colder temps and wider range of temps.  Will likely put that on in spring. 

His maps are Ideal for specific locations and elevations, but you only get only two maps, and not sure if he has a map to do a high and low elevation without changing out the high elevation insert in the head yet.   Reaching out to see what else was available and if anyone knows if I can put a performance head on without remapping the computer

The whole point to why I got the TE300i was so that I could ride a wide range of elevations without messing with bike.    

On 12/7/2018 at 11:47 PM, 240ZDAN said:

There is a ton of performance, especially low end, to be gained with high compression or aftermarket heads. It was night and day on my 19 TX300, and I feel like it really should have came that way from the factory. Adjusting the carb was easy to compensate for the mod. No spark plug to change either. 

As far as TPI bikes go, I wouldn't even know where to start before I bought a hi comp head, but Slavens seems to think some plug change is in order. I think there is an aftermarket ecu out now, but its pretty pricey. Good luck.

PowerCDI is making a programmable, via laptop, ecu. Lots of info on ktmtalk about the tpi, and all the mods. Pros and cons...

Side note, autocorrect changed tpi to toilet.... ?

• Like 1

People need to understand the restrictions with owning a TPI bike. An aftermarket or modded head on a TPI bike won't go close to reaping the same rewards as on a carb bike. Even with a JD tuner, the Fabio eco with be another story. The TPI bikes need a very tame head to not lean out, this translates into bugger all difference bang for buck.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, RichBaker said:

PowerCDI is making a programmable, via laptop, ecu. Lots of info on ktmtalk about the tpi, and all the mods. Pros and cons...

Thank you for the info bowser, I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.  Spent a lot of time looking for a sensible solution to get more performance and have not found one yet that does not demise the point of the TPI.   The way I see the problem is that the aftermarket ECUs do not apear to be as dynamic/smart as the original  ECU at this point in time. 

16 hours ago, Dieselt said:

Thank you for the info bowser, I agree with a lot of what you’re saying.  Spent a lot of time looking for a sensible solution to get more performance and have not found one yet that does not demise the point of the TPI.   The way I see the problem is that the aftermarket ECUs do not apear to be as dynamic/smart as the original  ECU at this point in time. 

On 12/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, RichBaker said:

The tpi to toilet comment was as sharp as a bowling ball! Fuel injection changed everything in 2 stroke snowmobiling and outboard motors for the better it will do the same here.  Kind of feel some comments chase tpi owners to other forums.  It’s not for everyone especially if you have no need to change significant elevation or you hate electronics.  Very impressed with the tpi so far. There are a lot of applications this bike is changing the game. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dieselt said:

The tpi to toilet comment was as sharp as a bowling ball! Fuel injection changed everything in 2 stroke snowmobiling and outboard motors for the better it will do the same here.  Kind of feel some comments chase tpi owners to other forums.  It’s not for everyone especially if you have no need to change significant elevation or you hate electronics.  Very impressed with the tpi so far. There are a lot of applications this bike is changing the game. 

Just observing and noting, thought it was funny. Beta testers need thick skin....

30+ years as an electronic tech, I think KTM did everyone a disservice with this poor implementation of the technology. Microsquirt works better!

9 minutes ago, Dieselt said:

All Good just saying there could be a better exchange of info here. 

Have you gone to ktmtalk? There is a LOT more tpi information, in multiple threads... It is becoming very apparent that this gen is not amenable to any mods that require rejetting. This ecu is incapable of dealing with any changes it is not programmed to, such as a different head.

KTM is only worried about being compliant with current, and future, euro emissions requirements.

I have a '19 TE300 with RK Tek Head, FMF Gnarly, Turbincore exhaust and JD tuner.  Adding the head was by far the most significant mod I made.  Bottom end power improved significantly.  The power delivery was transformed and made the bike much more fun and capable to ride.  

After installing the RK Tek head, I did notice it running lean so I installed the FMF tuner and followed their tuning recommendations.  That took care of it being lean and it now runs even better.  I love it.  As a side note, it is the easiest starting motorcycle I have ever had.  Everything about it just works very well and I am really enjoying it.  43 hours so far.

Edited by window2time
  • Like 4

Been looking there too. Was surprised there was not more TT tpi users chimming in here with some local info. (Opps some one just posted in, thank you) you mess with the rooster and you get answers I like it.  Was also looking for constancy in information.  Lots of tpi guys got hosed adding oil to their fuel cus of bad info. 

Edited by Dieselt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, window2time said:

I have a '19 TE300 with RK Tek Head, FMF Gnarly, Turbincore exhaust and FMF tuner.  Adding the head was by far the most significant mod I made.  Bottom end power improved significantly.  The power delivery was transformed and made the bike much more fun and capable to ride.  

After installing the RK Tek head, I did notice it running lean so I installed the FMF tuner and followed their tuning recommendations.  That took care of it being lean and it now runs even better.  I love it.  As a side note, it is the easiest starting motorcycle I have ever had.  Everything about it just works very well and I am really enjoying it.  43 hours so far.

Thank you that was what I was looking for.  Can you run a wide range of elevation and temperature without remapping with the JD tuner or do u remap everyday

Edited by Dieselt

22 minutes ago, Dieselt said:

Thank you that was what I was looking for.  Can you run a wide range of elevation and temperature without remapping with the FMF tuner or do u remap everyday

I have not needed to make adjustments for elevation and temperature.  I have ridden with some variation in temp and elevation changes but not to extremes that others may have experienced.  For example, I have ridden it in the snow and also at Moab in 70 degree temps--so definitely some variation but not extreme.

When I first mounted the JD Tuner (above I erroneously typed FMF tuner but have edited it now), I mounted it on my handlebars so I could fine tune it from the provided settings.  With it mounted where I could see it, I could watch the different lights indicate which tuning zone I was in.  When I felt a specific zone was either lean or rich, I would stop and adjust that zone.  Now that it is set, I have not needed to adjust it.  It runs better and the cooling fan doesn't come on as much.

If there are others who own and ride TPI bikes and have made similar mods but had different experiences, it would be great to hear from them.  Dieselt, I agree with your comment about bad information being propagated on these threads and I am trying to be careful to only share what I have personally experienced.  Others who own TPI bikes might have experienced something different and it would be great to hear from them.

• Like 2