Crank sprocket alignment?

Last winter, I took my 1990 XR200R motor to a local Honda shop. I asked mechanic to install new OEM main bearings and a new OEM crank sprocket.  I buttoned-up fresh motor, but always found it impossible to accurately align top/cam TDC with crankcase TDC marks. 

I just took motor apart for end of season repairs and confirmed that crank sprocket was not properly aligned with the crankshaft Woodruff key way/slot when installed.  My question now becomes:          

1.  Should I return to shop and have crank sprocket re-heated and (hopefully) adjusted to sync with Woodruff key way/slot? 

2.  Should I acquire a multi-hole adjustable cam sprocket and attempt to "correct" the sloppy alignment at the crank end?Note:  I don't have a clue how to properly align the adjustable sprocket to the cam. I hear that adjustable sprockets do not come with instructions..... 

As always, Thanks for looking  Scott

Old Skool:  No disks, no computers, no clickers and no damn radiator. 

A fellow club member just showed up with an unused XR200R Vernier cam sprocket purchased from Parts Unlimited.  My guess is that I now simply rotate the multi-hole sprocket until the "best" two bolt holes line up with the actual cam. My question now becomes how do I initially site/position the cam as it rests within the head?  Surely, the initial positioning of the cam will greatly affect which "holes" will best represent true TDC.   It seems that even with the cam lobes in a full down position there is significant play before the valve rockers come into play.  Also, can I completely ignore the stamped timing mark on the Vernier?  I'm kinda working without a safety net so any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks for looking, Scott

The mark on both cam sprockets are to be up and aligned with the mark on the head, with the rotor at TDC (the T mark). Then with the cam lobes down install the two bolts holding the sprocket to the cam.

To correct for a misaligned crank sprocket you will need a timing wheel and a dial indicator so you can dial in the cam.

Cam terms: http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/CamSpecTerms.aspx

Degreeing in your cam: http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_misc/degreeing.html

Here is what I measured on a stock cam at 0.040 lift (no lash):

Intake/exhaust lift .321/.299,   duration 240/244, overlap 35, lobe centers 106/101
Inlet open/closes 14 BTDC/46 ABDC, exhaust opens/closes 43 BBDC/21 ATDC

• Like 1

Thanks again to "Chuck".

I decided to just do the right thing and remove the cam sprocket and realign.  I went to my local Advance Auto store and used their free "loaner tools" to borrow a Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller.   The right tool made quick work of removing the sprocket.  I then popped the sprocket into a 400 degree oven and 20 minutes later back onto the crankshaft.  The ThumperTalk pictures of this procedure were of immense help.

Thanks for looking, Scott