Trials newb with bike ??

So I’ve wanted a trials bike for years. A 2007 gasgas 280 txt pro just popped up locally for cheap. Needs a rear master cyl and kickstart idler gear. It’s disassembled so I can’t see it run. Thinking hard about picking this up.

Is this a decent bike? Any other issues these bikes have or should I just pass on it? Looking for a reliable bike to play on when I’m not riding my 250xc.

I had a 2003 and now a 2017 of the same make and size.  In general they’re very reliable, easy to work on and most parts of that age are fairly straightforward to get. There are a bunch of YouTube videos by Jim Snell and online manuals you’d want to get.  The Kickstarter gear is prone to wear, so that’s not surprising but check-source the parts before you buy.

In that condition I’d pay no more than $1000 to hedge your bets against other issues that could come up, like seals, water pump, etc.  If the head is intact, test for good compression.  Also inspect fork seals and oil, look for water pump leaks and such.  On my 2003 that had sat for 5 years, I had to rebuild the water pump impeller and seals, fork seals and oil, fuel and vent tubing, tires, front brake master and slave parts and a few others, then rode it for half a year, got addicted and sold it for the ‘17.

Or, if you like wrenching less than than riding, spend $3500-5000 on late model runner from GasGas, Beta, Sherco, Honda/Montessa, TRS or Scorpa.

Just my 2c. :-)

Condition, condition, condition.  If the bike isn't in really good shape overall I'd look for an up and running bike so you can start dabbling in trials.  If it is dirt cheap and you have no problem working on bikes then go for it.

My first trials bike was an '02 280 TXT Pro.  I got a good deal on it and it is a great bike.  Nothing wrong with an '07. 

On 12/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, dittohead said:

So I’ve wanted a trials bike for years. A 2007 gasgas 280 txt pro just popped up locally for cheap. Needs a rear master cyl and kickstart idler gear. It’s disassembled so I can’t see it run. Thinking hard about picking this up.

Is this a decent bike? Any other issues these bikes have or should I just pass on it? Looking for a reliable bike to play on when I’m not riding my 250xc.

They can be a little hard to start with standard jetting 

choke jet is a #60 (get a #80)

pilot is a 35 or 36 ( get a 38 )

dependind on temp and elevation you might need to go to clip 2 on the needle from 60f and hotter at sea level