Won’t start, months of sitting

This previous year my seat time was about zero with injury (non-moto related) and nonstop overtime. My 2015 CRF450 was put away mid May. I really didn’t think the bike would sit from May to December, but life got busy and I neglected to drain the VP U4.4 from the tank. I FINALLY got the bike this week and today I went ahead tried to start it. It will not start at all. There’s spark and I can smell fuel from the cylinder, when I had the plug out, and can smell fuel from the exhaust. So I’m pretty sure it’s getting fuel since it smells flooded now. I let it sit for a few hour and tried again. It started for what seemed like a nanosecond and the blue map selector switch turned on very briefly, but that is all I got out of her. It’s currently in my cold 25 degree garage. I’ve started this bike in cold weather before, but I’m trying to troubleshoot what else I can do?

In 2012 a kid from our mx club ran his brand new crf250r out of fuel. When it was filled with gas it was kicked about 100 times and then someone suggested a new spark plug. Once the new plug was installed it fired right up. I realize you didn’t run the bike out of fuel but try a new plug and see what happens. 

With it being so cold out why are you trying to start it?

• Like 2

In 2012 a kid from our mx club ran his brand new crf250r out of fuel. When it was filled with gas it was kicked about 100 times and then someone suggested a new spark plug. Once the new plug was installed it fired right up. I realize you didn’t run the bike out of fuel but try a new plug and see what happens. 
With it being so cold out why are you trying to start it?

I’ll try a plug. It looked good but I’ll try about anything. There are several indoor tracks that I want to try and I don’t want to go unless I know the bike will start. It’s going to be cold there in the trailer/pits.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

First thing I'd do would be to dump the old fuel and put some fresh premium in there. Then I leave the plug out, and kick it about 100 times with the spark plug cap grounded.

Then I put a new spark plug in there and give it a try.

What he said. Drain fuel and ad fresh sounds like a good 1st

step. Good Idea about kicking and spark plug too.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

First thing I'd do would be to dump the old fuel and put some fresh premium in there. Then I leave the plug out, and kick it about 100 times with the spark plug cap grounded.
Then I put a new spark plug in there and give it a try.

Stupid question, but how do you keep the boot grounded? I’m sure I’m having a “duh” moment. Lol

14 hours ago, yz250f 78 said:

You can't leave VP u4.4 unused for a extended period of time. It will gum up and leave a sticky residue.  It can be a nightmare on fuel systems!!!!

What should be my first step to cleaning the systems? Besides draining the fuel and adding good fuel?  

You ground the plug or the coil will arc somewhere.  That somewhere is internally which degrades the winding insulation and damages the coil somewhere between not much and alot.

Its best to pop a plug in there and set it on something conductive and, use an alligator clip jumper to connect it to a good spot to keep it grounded as it does an impression of a drum stick bouncing on the valve cover or whatever. While your kicking it.

I would drain the tank.  Install a new fuel filter, run the pump disconnected from the injector via a battery to clear out your line.  And i would run cleaner through the injector while pulsing it with 9v battery.

Edited by EnglertRacing
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I just replaced everything. Fuel filter, spark plug, and bought a new injector. Just easier to start fresh. It wants to start. It started for about 2 seconds and didn’t want to start again. Are these things hard to start in the cold? It’s about 30 degrees in my garage. I’m about to place a space heater or two near it to warm the bike up.

Yes, sometimes. You can take a hairdryer to engine for 5 min or so. Don't get too close. And you're sure you have 1) Air 2) Compression 3) Fuel 4) Spark?

Yup, I got the big 4. Engine has 3 hours on it. I just messed up and didn’t drain the U4.4 from it. Ran like a 450 should when I put it away.

Yes, sometimes. You can take a hairdryer to engine for 5 min or so. Don't get too close. And you're sure you have 1) Air 2) Compression 3) Fuel 4) Spark?

It supposed to be 50 degrees Saturday. Pretty warm for January in NW Illinois. I’ll see if it’ll start with some warmth. I want to race the Arenacross in by Chicago, but can’t do that with a non-running bike. Lol