Sign in to follow this  

Actual oil pressure for KX250f

Has anyone on here actually measured the oil pressure on a KX250f? The manual says 2.8 PSI but says use a a gauge that reads to 70 PSI. IMHO 2.8 PSI would barely get oil through the filter. I checked mine today after warming it up and it reads about 28 PSI which seems a lot more believable. There is copious oil to the cam also which is good. Using Mobil 1 10-40 racing 4t.

I used a 6mm bolt that I drilled an welded a fitting to. It provides access to the oil filter chamber the same as the factory one. As for a gauge it is an oil pressure gauge that I have used on many engines and in fact checked with another gauge and it measures the same. I am just curious if anyone has actually measured one and what it read. 2.8 Psi would probably not keep the cam bearings alive. Even old Stove Bolt Chevy splash oil systems had 7 Psi.

1 hour ago, RMaynard said:

I used a 6mm bolt that I drilled an welded a fitting to. It provides access to the oil filter chamber the same as the factory one. As for a gauge it is an oil pressure gauge that I have used on many engines and in fact checked with another gauge and it measures the same. I am just curious if anyone has actually measured one and what it read. 2.8 Psi would probably not keep the cam bearings alive. Even old Stove Bolt Chevy splash oil systems had 7 Psi.

Good job on the oil cap?

I know on KTM old type you can change the pressure with the relief valv. Maby it's a similar thing on your  KX

If you can are going make sure you know HOW it's done. 

I didn't  do it myself so I can't swear it's the way to go

Edited by skorpan777