To tune or not to tune?

Cant decide whether or not to send my suspension out for custom work and maintenance(LT Racing). It's over due for maintenance and I dont know why but I cant wrap my head around suspension ins and outs. This makes me not want to work on them myself. That said with some google and YouTube videos I can pretty much work though anything(ktm 65 project bike complete,touched everything except the bottom end and suspension lol). 600 bucks and the maintenance and custom set up is complete . Or 100$ in parts and oil and just fumble my way though a maintenance service and hope for the best. I haven't been riding too long and my last 2 bikes where mx models I turned enduro so this stock beta suspension is a vast improvement already. I weigh in at 160ish with full gear so stock springs a alittle stiff but I can hall ass and bash shit without worrie on stock springs. Looking for some opinions one way or another. 65 hours on the bike now( 2015 250rr) and I see myself on this bike atleast for another season . Its winter now so I gotta shit or get off the pot.20180926_112929.jpeg

• Like 2

GOOD suspension work is priceless. Sure, you could invest in all the tools to do it yourself if you want (and I have before). But proper tools like seal drivers, soft jaw clamps and a no loss air chuck, nitro tank, etc will run you $400+ just to service your own parts. If you're doing the work often, it might make sense to buy your own tools. If not, let the local pros do the work for you. I just sent off the wife's xt boingers to All Moto Performance for some special work today. Little pricey, but leaving me more time to work on other things while they set up her suspension for her. 

Fresh suspension set up correctly will make it feel like a new ride. 

• Like 3

Take it to Dick at The Dirt Works in Tacoma. $300 (or less) will have it all freshened up. The money you save can go to Korean food on South Tacoma Way. :prof:
LT Racing will take a LONG LONG time. Dick will have it done in a week.
[emoji848] I'll have to look into them!

GOOD suspension work is priceless. Sure, you could invest in all the tools to do it yourself if you want (and I have before). But proper tools like seal drivers, soft jaw clamps and a no loss air chuck, nitro tank, etc will run you $400+ just to service your own parts. If you're doing the work often, it might make sense to buy your own tools. If not, let the local pros do the work for you. I just sent off the wife's xt boingers to All Moto Performance for some special work today. Little pricey, but leaving me more time to work on other things while they set up her suspension for her. 

Fresh suspension set up correctly will make it feel like a new ride. 
Never had a custom job. I'm thinking having a custom set up would sure help me progress!! 45 hours on this beta and I'm hitting trails and obstacles I would have turn around on with my previous 4 stroke mx bikes. Man I love this beta.... could it get any sweeter.
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, EnduroPNW said:

Cant decide whether or not to send my suspension out for custom work and maintenance(LT Racing). It's over due for maintenance and I dont know why but I cant wrap my head around suspension ins and outs. This makes me not want to work on them myself. That said with some google and YouTube videos I can pretty much work though anything(ktm 65 project bike complete,touched everything except the bottom end and suspension lol). 600 bucks and the maintenance and custom set up is complete . Or 100$ in parts and oil and just fumble my way though a maintenance service and hope for the best. I haven't been riding too long and my last 2 bikes where mx models I turned enduro so this stock beta suspension is a vast improvement already. I weigh in at 160ish with full gear so stock springs a alittle stiff but I can hall ass and bash shit without worrie on stock springs. Looking for some opinions one way or another. 65 hours on the bike now( 2015 250rr) and I see myself on this bike atleast for another season . Its winter now so I gotta shit or get off the pot.20180926_112929.jpeg

Your suspension will feel like fresh KYB's when that fork guard is reattached, I guarantee it. ; )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Your suspension will feel like fresh KYB's when that fork guard is reattached, I guarantee it. ; )
Haha I just selected a random picture from my gallery. Totally forgot that was the ride that got binded up on the cables. Good eye. But yes it has been fixed
  • Like 1

If you do decide to get it "tuned" then you need to sit down and put in writing what complaints you have. If you can't explain this to the tuner you are totally wasting your money. Proper susp can make a bike faster and safer but you MUST be able to communicate your needs to the tuner. Good luck.

If the $600 includes revalving and getting the springs set to your weight it worth it. If not, you should only be paying $250-300 to have the internals services with new fluid.  Personally, I just had my bikes professionally valved for my riding type etc. and the bike tracks soooo much better.  Life is short.  Pay a pro and get it done right. 

• Like 2

Just an update, Warren at Enduro Spec received my suspension today and called to do the pre set up interview. Very nice guy and seemed like he really wanted to find out my riding style and what would make the most difference for me. When all was said and done I am doing cartridges in the forks, reworking the shock with a longer spring. All new seals, bushings, and oil. Best of all is came in for just over $700. Seems like a lot but I was bracing for over $1000. My buddy sent in his suspension off his '16 350 exc and he was all in for around $900 with cartridges and full service (only real issue with his is that it is still attached to a KTM). Haven't ridden them but my experience so far is stellar. If I had to come up with a downside, Warren is busy so you have to leave a message most of the time when you call. 

Just for your info PNW. 

What made my decision in going with Enduro Spec had mostly to do with their Huck valve technology. I am not a suspension expert so don't tear me apart if I say something wrong. What I was looking for was softness/plushness in the rocky technical hill climbs and rock gardens yet not giving up safety at speed. From what I understand the Huck valve is a speed sensitive mid valve that modulates with the speed of the shock action. @ 43 years old plushness in the rocks equates to less fatigue in rocks, increased confidence, and extending the amount of hours/days I can ride on a trip. All this equates to more fun and more safety. This last year at Moab UT, my forearms were so done by day 6 that I ended up in a CT machine with a partially torn shoulder. 

I will review them for the TT community when I get them back but thought I would give my initial impressions. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Wow, that's a great price for what you're getting! How much was shipping? 

Looking forward to your ride report when you get them back! 

mailed both suspensions together with the UPS account at the office and 3k insurance $110 each way. Packed the forks in cheap gun cases myself they did great. Made a mistake my trusting KTM guy to pack the shocks. As with most things those guys do there were some problems. My shock had escaped the box by the time it reached colorado.? Funny how we launch these things down cliffs, bash them through rock gardens, cartwheel them across slick rock, then pack them gently in cotton balls and goose down to mail them to a suspension shop!?

• Like 4