2019 Honda CRF450X Owner Review

hey guys, thought I would share some initial thoughts on the new X. Picked mine up last week and left to Baja the next day. Didn't have time to do anything other than remove the snorkle from the top of the air box and backfire screen. Seemed to rev a little quicker. Anyway, loaded up and started day one just north of Santo Tomas and put in 70 mile of single track. Day two down the coast and over up to Mikes. Yesterday back up the coast. 

So, overall, amazing bike. Set the sag at 107 and didn't touch anything else. Anyone who had a 650 and wished Honda would make it 50 lbs lighter and give it electric start, this is your bike! It is super fast, so smooth and pulls forever it seems. Suspension is perfect for single track, but soft once you get moving over fast whoops. You can tell Johnny had a lot to do with it as everything is just right. I had a full built 2009 X, all the shit, this is better everywhere. Honda nailed it if you are a Baja guy. It seems to be made for it. As far as weight, just get over it. I never noticed it, not once. It chugs right up the rocky hills by Simpson ranch like nothing. No deflection, super straight. We did 350 miles, never fell, never deflected, always went straight. Only once got some major headshake at 70 mph, good times!

here is what i am going to do,

• up one tooth on the rear. This will move the axle up a little as it is way back stock. Should help it turn a little better.
  • ims tank, 3 gal
  • stabilizer, 
  • better front tire, stock is lame mx52
  • nittro moose
  • suspension, Precision Concepts
  • definitely getting the "L" radiator fan, spit out coolant a couple times, spiderman trail!
  • exhaust, not really needed but just what I do
  • then all the basic personal crap. You can ride it stock all day long and be good to go!

IMG_3341.jpg

• Like 8
  • Helpful 2

5 hours ago, skylerj said:

Awesome review! What are the most noticeable differences with the new showas? I talked to they guys at factory connection and they said the internals are very similar to the previous 47mm showas

forks are good, just need to hold up a little higher in the stroke. Shock needs more compression valving overall. Just my opinion. But, single track or trail riding, leave it alone if you are in the 175 lbs range. Desert riding/racing, send it in to your tuner.

• Like 1

forks are good, just need to hold up a little higher in the stroke. Shock needs more compression valving overall. Just my opinion. But, single track or trail riding, leave it alone if you are in the 175 lbs range. Desert riding/racing, send it in to your tuner.

I’m 230 with gear. I sent mine out to factory connection and they did wonders with it. Though every time I hop on a Yamaha I seem to like it better. I’m trying to figure out if the new showas have surpassed the 10 year old SSS.

I’m lookin for a new bike and I’m torn between the 250rx and the yz250fx

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to 2019 Honda CRF450X Owner Review

I’m 230 with gear. I sent mine out to factory connection and they did wonders with it. Though every time I hop on a Yamaha I seem to like it better. I’m trying to figure out if the new showas have surpassed the 10 year old SSS.

I’m lookin for a new bike and I’m torn between the 250rx and the yz250fx

My wr250 with the yz chip n tune is pretty sweet for the woods/trail. All my fx friends are still trying to get their suspension to work like mine...

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, doniton2 said:

I’m having a hard time finding out what would need to be done to un cork it. Have you looked into any of that? If you put a new pipe on how will you tune it? I’m hoping to have mine by the middle of January. 

planning on a PC exhaust when available and will have the ECU tuned if it can? Yosh told me on the phone their exhaust was made to run on the stock ECU tune, so not sure at this point. In the meantime I took the end cap off the muffler and hack-sawed the spark arrest off. It is very very restrictive! Testing suspension tomorrow in so cal desert.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
planning on a PC exhaust when available and will have the ECU tuned if it can? Yosh told me on the phone their exhaust was made to run on the stock ECU tune, so not sure at this point. In the meantime I took the end cap off the muffler and hack-sawed the spark arrest off. It is very very restrictive! Testing suspension tomorrow in so cal desert.
And?

On 1/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, KEITH OLSON said:
On 12/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, DEGBTI said:

And?

still waiting on an ECU. Have tried a couple suspension set ups but still going to be a while before it gets sorted out. Scotts will have a stabilizer set up in a couple more weeks. Just been putting in miles and so far its just incredible. Oh, tried some gearing changes but went back to stock. 

still waiting on an ECU. Have tried a couple suspension set ups but still going to be a while before it gets sorted out. Scotts will have a stabilizer set up in a couple more weeks. Just been putting in miles and so far its just incredible. Oh, tried some gearing changes but went back to stock. 
Thank you, I havent rode mine on a ride yet. Just around the house. My work has me a week on and a week off. (Week on) Ends on 22nd at 2000. Going riding as soon as I am off. Then after a week off and some much deserved riding I would like to change a few more things. Remove pair control solenoid valve. Thermostat (pair check)housing, research to see if the 2019 RX water pump cover and water joint on cylinder head are interchangeable. Remove Evap purge control solenoid, canister and associated hoses. It will take some time. By the way I believe you said the bike doesn't feel as heavy as it is. I agree.It feels super light. I twisted it up to 69 mph pretty easy with my lard a$$ on it.. First photo, the way it is. Second, service manual. Third, The way it should be.. my opinion. Enjoy your new machine.20190117_051905.jpeg20190117_092857.jpegScreenshot_20190118-182737_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

1 hour ago, KEITH OLSON said:

Thank you, I havent rode mine on a ride yet. Just around the house. My work has me a week on and a week off. (Week on) Ends on 22nd at 2000. Going riding as soon as I am off. Then after a week off and some much deserved riding I would like to change a few more things. Remove pair control solenoid valve. Thermostat (pair check)housing, research to see if the 2019 RX water pump cover and water joint on cylinder head are interchangeable. Remove Evap purge control solenoid, canister and associated hoses. It will take some time. By the way I believe you said the bike doesn't feel as heavy as it is. I agree.It feels super light. I twisted it up to 69 mph pretty easy with my lard a$$ on it.. First photo, the way it is. Second, service manual. Third, The way it should be.. my opinion. Enjoy your new machine.20190117_051905.jpeg20190117_092857.jpegScreenshot_20190118-182737_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

nice! if you dont mind can you please share the info you find out regarding removing all the BS?