Just picked up 2 Cannondales - advice needed

I just picked up a brand new leftover never seen gas Cannondale X440, which I guess will always be a wall hanger. It came with all the tags still on it, break-in oil etc. I got it from a former dealer leftover, stuck in the back, upstairs with boxes of NOS C-dale parts. Pix follows.

This unit tweaked my interest so much . . . I bought a second one. The second one, an E440, was supposed to be a runner but of course, its not

The E440  was said to have all its mods but has been setting for some time.  But here's my question. Fuel pressure is about 42-43 lbs. I have spark at the coil but it wont start. Battery and spark plug are new. 

Will I have to pull the injectors to confirm that's it a fuel problem. I thought it might run if I dribbled some fuel down the throttle body, but nothing happened there. Should that make it sputter? Do I pull the injectors to see if they spray?  Will a certain noid light also work?  I'll have to buy a set -recommendations?  Should I also get a cable and check its map and TPS too? Other thoughts?  I'm fairly handy around bikes but mostly the older variety. 

The story was this bike ran fine, the owner would start it every couple of months - then one day it would not start. He also said he sent the motor out to ATK for the crank mod. Dunno if all that is true but there seems to be quite a few bolts and tidbits missing or not where they should be.  I'm working with ATK to confirm its story.

The Cannondaler site is gone and the Cannondaleriders site is not accepting new registrations, so any help much appreciated. 

Here's a pix of the new leftover one. 

cdale2.jpg

cdale.jpg

• Like 2

I had a chance to ride one out in the so cal dez and at some tracks years ago. It wasn't horrible, but I don't recall it being noticeably good either. We also did a supermoto race in Elkheart Lakes WI on them and they did pretty well there. 

Congrats on the bikes! There's something interesting about riding something different.

• Like 1

I have two of them also. Search the water pump mod and or switch it out to aluminum if you can find one, the coolant would cavetate  in the pump, disolve the impeller and bad thing start to happen.   

Would have made AA in 03' had that bike not DNF'd three times that year. Also, the oil is pumped from one side of the frame to the other, it gets quite hot on the inside of your legs.  

one of the reasons they do't start if they have fuel and spark is the kill switch, I replaced mine when I ran into those problems. also if it has the stock disconnects those cause starting problems as well. There is also a regulator that can cause starting problems as well.  Can't think of any other issues that caused non starting when you have spark and fuel off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, 07ATKEnduro said:

one of the reasons they do't start if they have fuel and spark is the kill switch, I replaced mine when I ran into those problems. also if it has the stock disconnects those cause starting problems as well. There is also a regulator that can cause starting problems as well.  Can't think of any other issues that caused non starting when you have spark and fuel off the top of my head.

Found it. While the injectors were clogged, after cleaning it would only sputter. Coil showed spark but it was misleading. Replaced the coil with a new one and it runs fine. Thanks

• Like 1

https://www.allamericanwheels.net/

My local small time Polaris shop used to be a dealer and has a brand new unit in the collection. I noticed it when I bought my sportsman quad and it sparked a long conversation with the owner as I was 1 of the few customers that a actually immediately knew what it was. I would give them a call for some useful tips

12 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

https://www.allamericanwheels.net/

My local small time Polaris shop used to be a dealer and has a brand new unit in the collection. I noticed it when I bought my sportsman quad and it sparked a long conversation with the owner as I was 1 of the few customers that a actually immediately knew what it was. I would give them a call for some useful tips

They actually sell bikes?? I thought it was just a front for some CIA, drug or cat house.

6 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You have to get closer to Warren for all of that fun. They sell Polaris quads /Razors but he has a small personal collection of bikes as well. Nothing like Yamaha of Warrens mini museum though.

I have been in there many years ago. He had several Cannondales in there at that time. My buddy raced a quad in GNCC. Quad was fast when it ran otherwise was a large paper weight.

I have been in there many years ago. He had several Cannondales in there at that time. My buddy raced a quad in GNCC. Quad was fast when it ran otherwise was a large paper weight.
The owner told me the quad racers and the no questions asked warranty program is pretty much what bankrupted Cannondale. He said he replaced alot of engines.