heavier bike vs lighter bike on hill climbs? which does better?

So ive always wondered does the extra weight does better on hill climbs vs lighter bikes? Maybe make it "more planted" kind of like how you sit on the rear tire to add more weight?

say like a drz400 vs a ktm tpi 250

Lighter is always better. Hills take Hp and torque to climb along with proper traction. You comparing two vastly different bikes. Instead, compare a say, YZ250 with a YZ450, appropriate tires and the same skilled rider.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, William1 said:

Lighter is always better. Hills take Hp and torque to climb along with proper traction. You comparing two vastly different bikes. Instead, compare a say, YZ250 with a YZ450, appropriate tires and the same skilled rider.

ahh gotcha! ive just always wondered. I havent taken a light dirtbike on a steep climb yet but I have with a drz400 and does ok. the rear slips a lot but could be my AC10 are worn. so wondered how would a lighter bike compare lol

7 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

ahh gotcha! ive just always wondered. I havent taken a light dirtbike on a steep climb yet but I have with a drz400 and does ok. the rear slips a lot but could be my AC10 are worn. so wondered how would a lighter bike compare lol

Use the YZ example, the 450 would smoke the 250. Not a lot more weight and a lot more power. The hill climbers today are 4cyl. sport bike engines powered with ridiculously long swing arms.

1231907339_Copyof25233DSCN90771.jpg.7b4a68f3093fbbef0bc01c322e6e195f.jpg

• Like 3

I go for light. My 150lb. trials bike will easily climb things that are impossible (for me) on my heavier bikes.

• Like 1

Depending on what type of hills your talking about, there is a place I go to once a summer to dirt bike/camp and they have some fairly steep/long hills that I struggled to the top on my CRF250R. One summer, the CRF250R was down and took the DRZ400E. I got to the top so fast and easy I was like WTF. Next summer went back with the CRF and cleaned them NP cus I knew what it felt like to do it. IE speed, gear, body position etc.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Depends on the surface, a heavy slow old fourstroke is great on loose stuff, but if there's some base and grip light and powerful all the way.

Having said that, I had an old '83 DR125z years ago that would climb sh*t My KX125 wouldn't even look at. :lol:  And I'm talking steep, like you couldn't walk up it steep.

6 hours ago, William1 said:

Depends how steep, around here they get steep and grippy enough that you can't climb 'em because it gets impossible to hold the front down. Then the bike with the lowest cog wins. :cool:

18 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Depends on the surface, a heavy slow old fourstroke is great on loose stuff, but if there's some base and grip light and powerful all the way.

Having said that, I had an old '83 DR125z years ago that would climb sh*t My KX125 wouldn't even look at. :lol:  And I'm talking steep, like you couldn't walk up it steep.

Funny you mention a dr125. I had a 82 Suzuki sp125 that could go up anything myself.

It's all about traction and power. Sometimes having just barely enough is better than having to much. Weight only matters if you fail. Then lighter is better

• Like 1

Sounds like mostly west coast answers. Fill the climb with mud, roots,ruts, ledges,etc. And 50 hp is a hindrence. 

• Like 4

Bikes have a throttle. To hill climb (or ride any place), you do not have to pin it. You can roll off. But with a low Hp bike, if you need more power, you cannot go to 11. If it is a vertical goat trail, then you ride a trials bike. Not a hill climber.

As far as the OP's direct comparrison, or any of the like, I would personally love to see Jarvis, Blazusiak, Walker, etc. try any hill on any event they enter on a Drz400. There is a reason they use the lightest bikes with the most explosive power. 

And when things get real soupy, Jarvis uses, yes, it's true, a 250 4 stroke! And wins! Going up hills first try most mortals would never attempt. 

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Bikes have a throttle. To hill climb (or ride any place), you do not have to pin it. You can roll off. But with a low Hp bike, if you need more power, you cannot go to 11. If it is a vertical goat trail, then you ride a trials bike. Not a hill climber.

And the typical 50hp+ 450 is MUCH harder to modulate that throttle on slick conditions. Id bet the average rider here is B or less skill wise. We dont have pro level throttle/clutch control. 

Also doubt Jarvis's bike is set up to be explosive. 

I agree. 2 strokes dont have to be set up to have explosive power. That is their inherent nature. They can be tuned, built and set up to be very torquey and low pulling motors, ie. 300cc 2 strokes, mild power valve spring, heavier flywheel like the GYTR I installed on my YZ250 for woods. 

All of us intermediate to slow riders can benefit from power, traction and light weight.

Edited by KillinTrailsMachine
  • Like 1

Hill climbing has a lot more to do with the rider than the bike, not that the bike isn't important. My YZ250 with a Gnarly pipe and 11oz flywheel weight is a climbing beast.

But I have seen riders who are expert level MX riders on 450's who don't have a clue about hill climbing. It's when you start to loose momentum that separates the men from the boys. Then throttle control, body position, tire pressure, even suspension setup all make a difference.  The trick is maintaining momentum without wheel spin.  A really good "offroad" rider can climb hills on almost anything with knobs. A novice might do better on a slightly heavier, tamer 4 stroke.  Personally, I'm somewhere in between!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

flat out high speed climbs; always lighter and more power

Sometimes you dont have the opportunity to hit it with hi speed.  Then you need "TRACTION"  as in 2WD ROKON

They dont win many races but I sure would like to ride one through some tough stuff sometimes.

• Like 1