Hey guys........ one problem after another I'll tell ya that. I was trying to drain my fresh oil so that I could keep my bike straight when fixing the clutch. Well, when the drain bolt came off, there was a bunch of metal pieces in the tread of the bolt. The bolt isn't stripped, the case is. What can I do besides take out my engine and redrill it? Some in house thing? Maybe put gas resistant teflon tape? But won't it burn? PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

IMG_1321.jpg

Heli coil / time sert or something equivalent is really the only way to fix it and not have it happen again.

Edited by john stu
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, john stu said:

Heli coil / time sert or something equivalent is really the only way to fix it and not have it happen again.

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Drill and tap it to the next sized thread - bigger drain bolt

I wouldn't want to take out the engine and do all that... you think Teflon tape would work?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Drill and tap it to the next sized thread - bigger drain bolt

You could but about the same effort you could install a helicoil and have threads that are MUCH stronger....... I have installed a helicoil in a friend's bike with the engine still installed. 

And no I do not think Teflon tape will work and when it eventually does fail you might need to replace your whole transmission, it is not worth the risk.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Sad 1

i woudnt trust teflon to hold it

1 hour job to remove engine - fix problem then put it back together

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Goon Rides said:

I wouldn't want to take out the engine and do all that... you think Teflon tape would work?

Teflon Tape will work Great!

Right up until the drain bolt falls out and you will know exactly when that happens when the tranny gears seize on the shaft!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can go to autozone,advance auto and get self tapping drain plug next size up 10mm i believe.  They work good.  Like this one in pic . But after you thread it in most likely will have to cut down to same length as original like i did to this one

0418181702.jpg

0418181751.jpg

0418181737.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

5 hours ago, Goon Rides said:

Hey guys........ one problem after another I'll tell ya that. I was trying to drain my fresh oil so that I could keep my bike straight when fixing the clutch. Well, when the drain bolt came off, there was a bunch of metal pieces in the tread of the bolt. The bolt isn't stripped, the case is. What can I do besides take out my engine and redrill it? Some in house thing? Maybe put gas resistant teflon tape? But won't it burn? PLEASE HELP! Thanks.

IMG_1321.jpg

Thats for gas pipe thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It might be for gas thread pipe... but it will hold at least to 212*f and 90+ psi...

you can get the pink Teflon tape for even higher temps...

wrap bolt with Teflon tape then put some pipe dope on it... it won’t fall out or leak...

But a heli coil or a self tap bolt is the best option...

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Motox367 said:

You can go to autozone,advance auto and get self tapping drain plug next size up 10mm i believe.  They work good.  Like this one in pic . But after you thread it in most likely will have to cut down to same length as original like i did to this one

0418181702.jpg

0418181751.jpg

0418181737.jpg

I think this is what I'll do... but does size matter? Either way the case is stripped. So if I just buy this, screw it in (tap?), and then un screw it and cut to spec, it should work fine? Sounds like a plan!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goon Rides said:

I think this is what I'll do... but does size matter? Either way the case is stripped. So if I just buy this, screw it in (tap?), and then un screw it and cut to spec, it should work fine? Sounds like a plan!

Get next size up from original.  Either a 10mm or 12mm . 

• Like 1

Goon Rides, is this a bike you plan on flipping/selling?

If so, I would inform the future owner that the drain plug isn't original and that extra care must be taken when tightening it.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Goon Rides, is this a bike you plan on flipping/selling?

If so, I would inform the future owner that the drain plug isn't original and that extra care must be taken when tightening it.

I plan to actually keep this one, but maybe put it up for sale at a high price so that no one will buy it. BUT, if someone is giving me the asking amount ($3200), hell yea gimme the money.

15 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

i woudnt trust teflon to hold it

1 hour job to remove engine - fix problem then put it back together

5min job, flip bike upside down drill and install helicoil, flush out real good when done a couple chips of soft aluminum wont hurt steel gears and shafts 

Edited by john stu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was advised that you shouldn't leave your bike without a drain bolt for too long, otherwise the gears can freeze. It has been open for almost a month without a bolt, is that bad??? What can I do to fix it?

Put the trans in the microwave on 'popcorn' to warm it back up. Take it out when the popping sounds are 3-5 seconds in between.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Never enough time or money to fix it right the first time but always seem to come up with enough time and money to fix it a second time

Please take the time and just a few dollars to do it right the first time

Assuming you don’t have the proper size Repair coil or repair bushing kit and likely will never use it again after this repair you can sell them for a good chunk of what you pay for them missing only the one thread repair coil or bushing you used

Drill slowly and clean dwarf off as often as you can, After drilling run a gallon of diesel through the cases to flush out swarf.
Coat the tap with grease to trap most of the swarf, clean often, flush motor again after tapping.

Let motor drain a few hours spray with solvent to degrease threaded hole, let sit over night to drain some more.

Next day clean threads and install the thread repair coil.
Let the thread lock cure over night
Install plug add oil, go ride having pride you did it right, fixed it once and the threads are better then new.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 2

Should be relatively easy to tap the case while in the bike. It is by far the best option.

• Like 5