Which street legal dirt bike?

1. What is your skill Level (be honest)?

Off road: Beginner/Novice

Street: Intermediate+

2. What's your height & weight?

5'10"  200lb

3. What year, make, & model of motorcycle are you coming from? And, what do you want the new bike to do better?

Currently on a 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R that's been converted to supermoto. Want something much easier to handle off road, but still street legal. 

4. What's your ballpark budget?

I'd like to stay under $10k, but will go higher if I have to.

5. What types of terrain will you be riding?

Mostly single track is available "near" me. I tried with the 690 and I really sucked at it. Looking for something smaller and lighter. But the nearest off road places are at least an hour away so I need something street legal and decent on the street. No room at my house for a trailer. 

6. Will you be racing or just play riding?

Play riding.

4 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Beta 500 RS. You get a lower seat height and a year warranty and cheaper than a ktm / husky. 

Cheaper today ,but more spensive in the long run? At least in my travels, used Betas seem to be listed for a lot cheaper than used ktm dual sports. NOT anti Beta by any means, I just think that cost is always relative to today and tomorrow. Lower seat height, yes! Not sure why ktm thinks everyone in the US is 6' 5"! Parts supply good?

2 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Cheaper today ,but more spensive in the long run? At least in my travels, used Betas seem to be listed for a lot cheaper than used ktm dual sports. NOT anti Beta by any means, I just think that cost is always relative to today and tomorrow. Lower seat height, yes! Not sure why ktm thinks everyone in the US is 6' 5"! Parts supply good?

Not sure how could be more expensive in the long run. A local guy saved over a grand buying a 500 rs over buying a ktm 500. Ive been hearing of some that have kept their big bore Betas long on threads. There’s only a couple here and they rarely come up for sale. Yea Beta has easy parts to get. Same as everybody else Id guess. I have never had any problem with my 3 betas. My big bore Beta is the older ktm rfs motor though. No issues with parts for my 350 race edition. 

1 hour ago, nobade said:

Any of the street legal Betas. My favorite is the 390 or 430. For KTM or Husqvarna I'd go 350. If you don't want to spend so much a DRZ400 isn't too bad.

+1...what he said.  I think you will find a 500 is a lot of bike for tighter, smaller trails.  Keep in mind that you will still need to spend another $800 for an ECU to undo the lackluster emissions legal tune  of the KTM EXC bikes.  I dont think that is the case with the Beta models --but dont take my word for it.

I forgot that the 500 exc doesn't have ABS. I like having this for all the street riding I do. Do most people not think it's a big deal to not have ABS? Yeah that's a weird sentence. 

Edited by MNDZA

I forgot that the 500 exc doesn't have ABS. I like having this for all the street riding I do. Do most people not think it's a big deal to not have ABS? Yeah that's a weird sentence. 
ABS is a dangerous thing in the dirt when you're going down a steep loose hill and discover your bike won't stop. I want none of that foolishness.
  • Like 3

Ok so if I decided to use a rack like that and didn't need a street legal bike, you think the 500exc would be best for me still? I never thought I'd like one, but kind of interested in the 250 SX. Are two strokes any good? For my heavy weight?

1 hour ago, MNDZA said:

Ok so if I decided to use a rack like that and didn't need a street legal bike, you think the 500exc would be best for me still? I never thought I'd like one, but kind of interested in the 250 SX. Are two strokes any good? For my heavy weight?

Ok you are jumping around. Maybe get clear and share more of what you specifically want. As it is you just opened it up to any dirt bike almost.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ok you are jumping around. Maybe get clear and share more of what you specifically want. As it is you just opened it up to any dirt bike almost.

Haha yeah. I'm wondering if the 500 exc will be just as good as a non street legal bike like a 250 SX. I figure that if I use a rack like that, then I have more bike options for off road. I suck off road with the 690.

8 minutes ago, MNDZA said:

Haha yeah. I'm wondering if the 500 exc will be just as good as a non street legal bike like a 250 SX. I figure that if I use a rack like that, then I have more bike options for off road. I suck off road with the 690.

It’s going to be different. It all depends on what you mean by just as good. No one is going to be good at offroad with a 690.

At 5ft 10 and 200lbs a 500exc isnt too much bike for single track, your not 5ft 2 and 130lbs.

Just get a plated 500exc or better yet an fe501

I ride a crf450r thats setup for desert, i swapped for my friends 501 for a half hour. 

Power is really really smooth, in no way "too much bike" for anyone.  Delivery reminds me of a friends 1994 xr100, soooooo smooth and friendly. And thats not a nock saying lack of power, but a compliment on how useable it is, if you want it to get moving twist the throttle more.   Clutch pull also xr100 easy.  6 speed trans, tits! Grandma gear down low for doing the nasty.  6th just enough to cruize the asphalt.   Suspension was vastly too soft for my taste, but fantastic for a beginner.  Also reminded me of the xr100 lol.  Again not a knock.

The bike weighs the exact same amount as my crf450 240lbs.  But with the backbone frame the tank sits lower and it feels lighter.

This is what your looking for, a user friendly bike that can go down the highway.

3 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

At 5ft 10 and 200lbs a 500exc isnt too much bike for single track, your not 5ft 2 and 130lbs.

Just get a plated 500exc or better yet an fe501

I ride a crf450r thats setup for desert, i swapped for my friends 501 for a half hour. 

Power is really really smooth, in no way "too much bike" for anyone.  Delivery reminds me of a friends 1994 xr100, soooooo smooth and friendly. And thats not a nock saying lack of power, but a compliment on how useable it is, if you want it to get moving twist the throttle more.   Clutch pull also xr100 easy.  6 speed trans, tits! Grandma gear down low for doing the nasty.  6th just enough to cruize the asphalt.   Suspension was vastly too soft for my taste, but fantastic for a beginner.  Also reminded me of the xr100 lol.  Again not a knock.

The bike weighs the exact same amount as my crf450 240lbs.  But with the backbone frame the tank sits lower and it feels lighter.

This is what your looking for, a user friendly bike that can go down the highway.

Yes I think the 500 will be it. My only hesitation was having no ABS for street riding.