New Lectron - Bike Won't Start 2nd Day

2005 RM 125 with brand new top and bottom end.  Spark plug brand new and air filter cleaned and oiled. 

Purchased a Lectron and installed it yesterday.  Fired up after 3 kicks and rode for about 20 minutes.  Only adjustment I made was to the idle and richened the power jet (over rev was flat).  Parked her overnight.

This morning fire her up and she runs with choke for about 3 seconds and dies...cannot start it again.  Checked plug and was not fouled, replaced again anyway.  Still can't get it to fire up with or without choke.  Bike ran great with stock carb and ran great yesterday on the Lectron's maiden voyage.  In fact, the Lectron ripped.  I pulled the plug and kicked it over many times in case fuel in the bottom end, still won't start.  I sprayed some starter fluid into the carb, won't start.  Bike is getting fuel (clear float bowl) and has spark, i'm out of ideas.  

Edited by Rodeojones
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

When I had my lectron there were 3 times it wouldn't start. No rime or reason. Kicked it over 50 times once and said f it. Went out the next day and it fired off on the 2nd kick. I heard later the float can stick open or closed. That could have been the problem. How does the fuel level look in the bowl?

Fuel level looks good and ironically, the float bowl did stick this morning.  Got it cleared out pretty easily.  I'm at my wits end but hopeful that your experience will be the same for me and she will eventually start. 

You need fuel, compression and spark and something should happen, one of those 3 things is off.  Starting fluid is super flammable, if you get no fire with starting fluid then skip right to checking for spark and compression.  If you have compression and spark and still nothing with starting fluid, then maybe it's super flooded (did you leave the gas on?).  In this case, remove the spark plug and let it sit for a long time, or push it down the driveway with the spark plug out and the throttle wide open, then try to start it again.  If you get some popping but it won't stay running, then check the reeds.  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/14/2018 at 8:28 PM, Rodeojones said:

Thanks all for the help.  I finally got it to run...  In hindsight I think it was a combination of flooding the bike (as a few noted) and having the idle set too low.  Now to get her dialed in but now she starts first kick.

How did you get it unflooded? When I have the spark plug out and kick it it sounds like there’s a bunch of gas in there but I don’t know how to get it out

Just now, Cadyn Hurst said:

How did you get it unflooded? When I have the spark plug out and kick it it sounds like there’s a bunch of gas in there but I don’t know how to get it out

I bought the lectron carb brand new and haven’t even got it to start once 

• Sad 1

I've had a ride buddy with a Lectron experience the same thing out on trail. While diagnosing, he looked right at that clear float bowl and said, yeah, there's fuel in the bowl, so we moved on to other possibilities. After a half hour of messing with other things, we look again at the float bowl, shaking, leaning the bike.

There ain't no damned fuel in that bowl !  Floats stuck. I wanted to slap him ! LOL

Edited by Trailryder42