Advice on avoiding flats in the desert

I'm heading to AZ in a week or so to do some riding - trails, double track, a little of everything.

I'm looking for advice on how to best prepare for flats (tubes, sealant, etc), and wondering what you carry for flat repair trailside.

250 XCF-W with Kenda Parker DT K772 rear and Goldentyre GT216AA "Fatty" Front  is what I'm planning on running - with tubes.

The few "tube guys" I ride with all run Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Specifically, Bridgestone. Not Michelin, CST or whatever. They carry CO2 for inflation, spare tube, and the necessary tools.

Personally, I run bibs. Not dealing with any of that bullshit. Already have a heavy pack with 3L of water + basic tools to carry.

Edited by Kosmic
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I usually ride alone, so I'm always erring on the side of caution. Mousse's it is then. I'd rather carry more fuel and water than tube repair stuff anyway.

I went with the Nuetech Nitro Mousse front and rear, on Kenda Parker DT K772 rear and Goldentyre GT216AA "Fatty" Front. Peace of mind only costs an extra $200 :)

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 12/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, MplsMoto said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I usually ride alone, so I'm always erring on the side of caution. Mousse's it is then. I'd rather carry more fuel and water than tube repair stuff anyway.

I went with the Nuetech Nitro Mousse front and rear, on Kenda Parker DT K772 rear and Goldentyre GT216AA "Fatty" Front. Peace of mind only costs an extra $200 :)

The nice thing is that the mousse bibs last a very long time as long as you keep them lubed.  Don't blast the rims and tires with high pressure water or it will wash the lube away.  When you change a tire, lube the hell out of the used mousse. Keep old mousse bibs.  You can cut a piece from an old one and use it to add to another used one to fill out the tire when they start to shrink.  I don't think they cost much more over time and the piece of mind is priceless.  Oh, and my tires last almost twice as long with the mousse bibs.  I think because the bibs give more and provide more grip and less slip, which wears the tire.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, MplsMoto said:

I wouldn't go with a mousse with that Kenda Parker DT, it will make it even stiffer than it already is.  I'm running that same tire, have for a couple years.  It is very stiff, after all it is 6 ply,  and I have found it performs best at 9 lbs with an hd tube.  I have never had a flat, I ride mostly high desert in the 4 corners.  We don't have a lot of cactus, but we have gnarly sharp rock.

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I wouldn't go with a mousse with that Kenda Parker DT, it will make it even stiffer than it already is.  I'm running that same tire, have for a couple years.  It is very stiff, after all it is 6 ply,  and I have found it performs best at 9 lbs with an hd tube.  I have never had a flat, I ride mostly high desert in the 4 corners.  We don't have a lot of cactus, but we have gnarly sharp rock.

Too late - mounted them up last night. Tough going getting it on, and it's not beaded yet - need to spin it while on the stand.

I will be riding a lot of lower AZ and Baja, so I guess I'll have to deal with the stiffness. I can always swap it out I guess.

Thanks for the response.

5 minutes ago, MplsMoto said:

Too late - mounted them up last night. Tough going getting it on, and it's not beaded yet - need to spin it while on the stand.

I will be riding a lot of lower AZ and Baja, so I guess I'll have to deal with the stiffness. I can always swap it out I guess.

Thanks for the response.

For future reference, the Rabaconda is made for mounting mousses.

https://rabaconda.com/us/

Oh, yea - I've seen that. I have a set of C-clamps that do the same thing, we've gotten pretty good at mounting stiff tires - Ice Tires are the worst.

Just an update, the Kenda Parker didn't bead-up properly so I had to get creative.

The solution was pretty easy - or at least it looked easy on YouTube. Put the bike on a stand, rev it up in top gear. 

But that didn't work, so I put one of my tire warmers on it for 20 minutes and did it again - and it worked.

Another idea that came to mind is to put a tubeless valve stem on the wheel before installing the mousse, then inflate it (and release it after).

Edited by MplsMoto

Wasn't the plan, but I currently have a maxxis dessert IT in the rear with tubliss. I actually run no air in the tire due to the stiffness of the tire. This tire with no air runs like a reg tire with about 5psi. Can't get a flat with no air.

On 12/21/2018 at 8:34 PM, MplsMoto said:

Just an update, the Kenda Parker didn't bead-up properly so I had to get creative.

The solution was pretty easy - or at least it looked easy on YouTube. Put the bike on a stand, rev it up in top gear. 

But that didn't work, so I put one of my tire warmers on it for 20 minutes and did it again - and it worked.

Another idea that came to mind is to put a tubeless valve stem on the wheel before installing the mousse, then inflate it (and release it after).

Airing them up to a whole bunch of psi and dribbling them like a basketball usually works for me if a tire bead won't seat.

I just came from the Parker dt. Only put a few ride on them and hated them. Also wore out super fast and the side walls cut easy in rocks. Traction sucked

1 minute ago, SMOKINBERGER said:

I just came from the Parker dt. Only put a few ride on them and hated them. Also wore out super fast and the side walls cut easy in rocks. Traction sucked

You must have had the old ones.  The new ones wear like iron, I've been riding on the same pair for 2 1/2 years.  Its become a joke with my riding partners, I can't wear them out.  I ride high desert, nothing but rock and sand, never came close to damaging a tire.  The Kendas actually get better reviews than the Maxxis, and they are cheaper.  I wouldn't recommend them for everyone, too extreme a tire for a lot of uses.  I'm swapping mine out for a pair of Kenda Washougal IIs, that's what a lot of guys run in this area.

You must have had the old ones.  The new ones wear like iron, I've been riding on the same pair for 2 1/2 years.  Its become a joke with my riding partners, I can't wear them out.  I ride high desert, nothing but rock and sand, never came close to damaging a tire.  The Kendas actually get better reviews than the Maxxis, and they are cheaper.  I wouldn't recommend them for everyone, too extreme a tire for a lot of uses.  I'm swapping mine out for a pair of Kenda Washougal IIs, that's what a lot of guys run in this area.
Mine was the new ones. Bought it 5 months ago. Not the biggest on desert riding. Had it there once. In the Sierra's it didn't do well traction wise and that's where it sliced in the rocks. Way way lighter than the maxxis though. I do like the maxxis better for traction though, does ok in desert and can still use it in the woods. Will get tired of it and replace it before it wears out.i like new tires haha

2 minutes ago, SMOKINBERGER said:

Mine was the new ones. Bought it 5 months ago. Not the biggest on desert riding. Had it there once. In the Sierra's it didn't do well traction wise and that's where it sliced in the rocks. Way way lighter than the maxxis though. I do like the maxxis better for traction though, does ok in desert and can still use it in the woods. Will get tired of it and replace it before it wears out.i like new tires haha

Like a said, I wouldn't recommend them for everyone.  We ride in the summer in the San Juans, mountain single track.  The Parkers do NOT do well there, no flex.  Wet granite is the enemy of tires, you can cut about any tire with that combination.  Give the Washougals a shot, everyone that runs them here loves them.

Like a said, I wouldn't recommend them for everyone.  We ride in the summer in the San Juans, mountain single track.  The Parkers do NOT do well there, no flex.  Wet granite is the enemy of tires, you can cut about any tire with that combination.  Give the Washougals a shot, everyone that runs them here loves them.
Had the washougal II right before the Parker, was decent till I took it to horse canyon then it got eaten in a half day and was like riding on ice.i get deals on Kenda haha. On my third set of tires for the year. Just got the battlecross xc30 front I'm putting on today. We will see how that goes. Ordered new rim sets. Want to find a good rear for them. Considering m5b but reviews seem to be so torn on both sides.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:21 AM, SMOKINBERGER said:
On 12/24/2018 at 9:09 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Had the washougal II right before the Parker, was decent till I took it to horse canyon then it got eaten in a half day and was like riding on ice.i get deals on Kenda haha. On my third set of tires for the year. Just got the battlecross xc30 front I'm putting on today. We will see how that goes. Ordered new rim sets. Want to find a good rear for them. Considering m5b but reviews seem to be so torn on both sides.

X30's are good for front and rear.  Good all around tire that lasts.  I run the front all the time in all conditions but I switch rears depending on the race or riding area.

Have a set of parker DT's on my XRL running tubliss... usually 5-6psi in the desert and sierras.  Tons of traction on everything I've thrown at it, a bit over 1,000 miles and the rear is still performing well front not much wear.  99% dirt, probably work well for me due to heavy bike (318#) and heavy rider (280#) and being able to run low pressure.

It'll be interesting to hear how they perform with mousse....

Posted (edited)

Just reporting back. After 60+ miles on two rides in the Box Canyon, I'm pretty happy with this setup. 

(Nuetech Nitro Mousse front and rear, on Kenda Parker DT K772 rear and Goldentyre GT216AA "Fatty" Front. )

Both tires work great in all conditions (rocks, sand, mud, wet river stone) - no shortcomings. The Goldentyre GT216AA "Fatty" Front is especially good in the sand, just a rail in both straights and turns. The rear was grabby in the rocks/stairs. Grips quick and digs in tight corners.

I took the bike up to 75mph on the dirt and pavement on the way out. Stable, surprisingly smooth - no weave. Easy to power drift, good control on the gravel road at 50mph.

I'll report back on durability.

Edited by MplsMoto