Silent Dirtbike

2 hours ago, Gus p12 said:

can i get a link for that photo? i will just weld it if i cant drill bolt holes into it.

Sure thing....  the entire set up is made by Lexx and fits their slip-on muffler assembly - I’m not sure if any other pipe/muffler/silencer company makes something similar.  It looks like you could just cut off the extension and weld it onto any other insert from another company or even your stock exhaust if you had to.  An internal baffle would also help to quiet your bike if your exhaust is uncorked but the OEM Yamaha insert is $$$$$$.

The Lexx muffler comes with additional inserts with different size openings as well.  The trail saver insert is extra and normally runs $19.99.  It totally made my YZ250FX quieter - it claims up to a 15db difference.  I don’t race my bike so I can’t say if it impacts performance.  My YZ250FX will still throw you off the back if you are not holding on.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/25985/Lexx-MXe-Trail-Saver-Quiet-Core-Insert

EC7495D9-B1DF-4376-8946-316598E31097.jpeg.b716b0a07f855e233b292e8eed23629b.jpegC6978789-D662-48CC-9409-86C790E243F3.thumb.jpeg.9c0b2abb098a096e9f0b6eb4dceb88ba.jpeg

RP

Edited by R1peacock
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gus p12 said:

2005 ttr 230 with a pipe that has no baffles.

I thought you had the noise problem solved in your previous thread on here, but, you're riding around near your neighbors and you're on a TTR230 with a gutted exhaust pipe.

No wonder you're getting complaints, and rightfully so, and, as you grow and mature, you WILL see how you contributed to your own situation, here.

Take some advice:

Put a STOCK exhaust muffler back on the bike.

Period.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 3

The bike is allot quieter than it originally was when i made a homemade exhaust baffle, the only problem is my neighbor is 95 years old and is a world war 2 veteran, if he complains I really want to improve the noise problem farther.  Legally I'm perfectly fine it's no were near the 110 decibal cap. It would just be a lot nicer to keep the peace and just make it even more quieter, a ttr isnt a power house so you cant really compare noise to a crf 250, but I know it's not that loud. I'm going to make it so the exhaust points at the ground. He's the only one whos made a complaint for the multiple months I've owned the bike. Maybe I will take a decibal test before and after and tell you guys the diffrence.

1 hour ago, Gus p12 said:

The bike is allot quieter than it originally was when i made a homemade exhaust baffle, the only problem is my neighbor is 95 years old and is a world war 2 veteran, if he complains I really want to improve the noise problem farther.  Legally I'm perfectly fine it's no were near the 110 decibal cap. It would just be a lot nicer to keep the peace and just make it even more quieter, a ttr isnt a power house so you cant really compare noise to a crf 250, but I know it's not that loud. I'm going to make it so the exhaust points at the ground. He's the only one whos made a complaint for the multiple months I've owned the bike. Maybe I will take a decibal test before and after and tell you guys the diffrence.

I don't want to sound like a dick here but maybe you should stop riding in the neighborhood all together or at the very least limit it as much as you can. A quiet exaust is a good idea, back to stock is probably best. The TTR is meant to be a quiet moderate trail bike. You seem to have a lot of respect for this neighbor, so the best show of respect I could show would be to not ride around his house or the neighborhood for that matter.

It is good to be trying to make it quiet for your neighbor.

I suggest after doing whatever mods you do is stop by his house and ask if it is a lot better.  Perhaps showing you really care and are trying will help a bunch.

I would probably look for a used stock muffler and install stock jetting.   I’ll bet a used muffler will be really cheap and should be very quiet.  

I’ve been riding dirt bikes for 50 years and love riding. But I wouldn’t want to hear an open exhaust bike all the time at home either. With that bike- it should be pretty darn easy to make it quiet.

Mark

• Like 1

Lots of respect to you for doing the right thing.   

I think you'll find the stock setup is the way to go.  And also be careful how you ride near his house.  Your wrist makes a big difference, too...  

Keep on the lookout for stock parts.  Figure that for every aftermarket pipe sold, there was a stock setup taken off and set aside in the corner of some garage.  You just need to find one.

• Like 1

I found a freeze plug for a car engine that fits snugly into the tailpipe of my Drz, drilled a 1” hole in it with a step drill and the loudest thing people hear is the intake and the chain rattling, I use it whenever I need to keep other trail users happy. Works great and completely reversible once I get back to the highway.

• Like 1

Stock is the way to go.

Cpi racing makes quiet mufflers for banshees. 

I forget what they are called but they are dual chamber echo mufflers. They are very quiet and don't hurt performance too much.

I had one made for my klx110 stroker because a friend has a backyard track. In fact I still have it and don't use it. The muffler itself was a shortened banshee muffler. They made mid pipe and exit baffles for different bikes.

Probably more expensive than a stock take off exhaust.

Get a used stock muffler off eBay. It’s cheap and was engineered well - believe it or not, the stock mufflers actually flow pretty well for the amount of noise reduction they provide. A TTR230 is pretty darn quiet stock.

I bought a crf250x muffler for $20 on eBay, threw it on an R model - $20 for a quiet exhaust with a usfs approved spark arrestor, made out of stainless steel. 

So if you can’t source a stock ttr230 muffler, you can always use a stock muffler from any quiet trail bike and modify it to fit. Stock takeoffs are super cheap, way way better than spending hundreds on an aftermarket exhaust that won’t ever be as quiet, even with a quiet insert.

I have a ttr230 without the sound baffle.  While still quieter than my 450s it is considerably louder than stock.  I think the quietest solution is going to be the stock muffler with the  noise plug still in.  You won't find an aftermarket solution any quieter than that. 

It would be difficult to make a more irritating kind of noise than a TTR with an "uncorked" exhaust on it.  I think I can see where the complaint is coming from.

Stock exhaust would be your best choice, and then riding it somewhere else is your next move.

• Like 1

Of course he can hear it if you cut the baffles out of the exhaust.

The stock uncorked exhaust is very quiet. Unless he has the windows open I doubt he would hear it. 

How far away from his house is your riding area?

Edited by mbrick

In surveys taken of non-motorized users of public land, sound pollution is the number 1 complaint about us. Hikers and equestrians hate the noise we make. 

The only other group of trails users that comes close (to our level of unpopularity) are sport and target shooters. 

So yes, go back to a stock exhaust if you can. 

• Like 1