450 Question

I'm a little unfamiliar with Yamahas 450 in their bikes but I've had some expierience with their quads, I was a little unimpressed to say the least. I want to know if the 450 bikes ran as if they are on fire. Here's a video of what my quad was like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI5Ek5Zoxsw   Watch the throttle response and the end so you can see how hot they run

Would a 2015-2016 yz450f expierience the throttle bog and the header glow?

22 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Yes. You need a full exhaust, a power Commander, a dyno tune and an FCI Intake system with breather mod. Then they run cool and crisp. But you should just sell it and buy a motorcycle.

I know the quad needs a full exhaust and tuner but what about a bike? Will the bike run a lot better?

1 hour ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, Brent Simpson said:

I know the quad needs a full exhaust and tuner but what about a bike? Will the bike run a lot better?

Dunno, I ride a 2 stroke, I'll ask my wife.

Lol. I'd consider a 2 stroke. Whats the best 2 stroke in your opinion, as far as reliability?

12 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
12 hours ago, Brent Simpson said:

Lol. I'd consider a 2 stroke. Whats the best 2 stroke in your opinion, as far as reliability?

Oh geeze, start a new thread for that one. Depends what you wanna do, where you live, what kind of terrain is nearby, mx or woods etc... I ride a YZ250 modded for woods.

The only down fall of the 2 strokes is they don't have EFI. Is their a good 2 stroke for the average rider that likes to ride open fields and trails?

The only down fall of the 2 strokes is they don't have EFI. Is their a good 2 stroke for the average rider that likes to ride open fields and trails?
Yes, and the new KTM and Husqvarna two strokes DO have EFI. Beta makes awesome 2 stroke bikes for average riders, but they're carburetor bikes. Personally I don't worry about that, my carbed bike runs just as well as my efi bike.

There's a good chance that any modern F.I. 450 will be more bike than you'll ever need, and the 15-16 YZ450F you're asking about is an absolute beast that does most things extremely well. And one great thing is that it can be tuned to your liking (with a GYTR tuner, $200), and changing maps changes the complete character of the bike. But it's still a beast, and it'll get you into trouble fast and hurt you if you don't control it. Consider a YZ250FX for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

1 hour ago, RockerYZWR said:

There's a good chance that any modern F.I. 450 will be more bike than you'll ever need, and the 15-16 YZ450F you're asking about is an absolute beast that does most things extremely well. And one great thing is that it can be tuned to your liking (with a GYTR tuner, $200), and changing maps changes the complete character of the bike. But it's still a beast, and it'll get you into trouble fast and hurt you if you don't control it. Consider a YZ250FX for what it sounds like you're trying to do.

I like the 450s because I'm always up in the gear range and I'm never really riding slow since its pretty wide open where I ride. I barrowed my buddies yz450f carb for half a day and I really liked it. I like EFI because I live up north and the efi bikes start better on the cold days. I'm curious if a KTM 300 would last since I'm always up in the RPM range. What do you guys think? I also found a nice 2017 WR450F that I like.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, RockerYZWR said:

I just got a 17' YZ450f, and you're totally right. A beast, but with a well balanced chassis that does most things well it seems. You need to have amazing throttle control/fitness, and pray to the dirt bike gods you never get whiskey throttle, or it will take you for a ride. I've heard the new CRF 450 engines are even faster feeling, which is mind-blowing. I had a 2015 RMZ 450, which was much more mellow feeling, and might be better for OP. or a KTM/Husky 350. 

• Like 1

When I took my 16 on its first ride into the woods with the stock all zeros map, it was about a millimeter away from whiskey throttling all over the place at all times. It was also my first time on the bike, so that factors in. But it was not all that enjoyable to ride. Changed to the slick conditions map and it was a night and day difference for the better, without losing any of the bike's awesome power.

I just got a 17' YZ450f, and you're totally right. A beast, but with a well balanced chassis that does most things well it seems. You need to have amazing throttle control/fitness, and pray to the dirt bike gods you never get whiskey throttle, or it will take you for a ride. I've heard the new CRF 450 engines are even faster feeling, which is mind-blowing. I had a 2015 RMZ 450, which was much more mellow feeling, and might be better for OP. or a KTM/Husky 350. 

The two CRF450s I've ridden both had light switch power, tough to modulate and lots of it! I do not want one, though a buddy trail rides one with a rekluse and he does good on it.

I am going to try to tame the beast a bit before I buy the GYTR tuner. I'm 200lbs and riding MX most of the time, at 5000 plus ft above sea level. I wanted more bottom end than my FC350, and now I have it! Now I gotta learn to use it effectively. 

3 hours ago, RockerYZWR said:

When I took my 16 on its first ride into the woods with the stock all zeros map, it was about a millimeter away from whiskey throttling all over the place at all times. It was also my first time on the bike, so that factors in. But it was not all that enjoyable to ride. Changed to the slick conditions map and it was a night and day difference for the better, without losing any of the bike's awesome power.