Big Bore Kit Brands

No That's a vertex , CW, big bore, but with alot of hous/kms on it. I've not heard of any piston breaking on these engines. Most engine failures seem to be valves, cam bearing or piston seizures. More maintinance and riding issues.
Did you find something out since the original post? Thought that was a Wiseco?
Regardless, 400 is alot of hours for a piston.

Regarding the 15 hours piston lifecycle that Athena state: I'm fairly sure it's a cover-your-ass statement. Ignore it.

I only remember reading about one instance where a piston broke in a dirtbike: http://husaberg.org/mechanical/17998-bushmechanic-mongrel-628-trailbike-16.html#post164532

100mm bore x 80mm stroke for 628cc. At ten thousand RPM. After 120 hours. Racing a bolted paddle tire in sand. The piston broke.

Athena's 15 hours are completely meaningless. As are most of these maintenance intervals.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Did you find something out since the original post? Thought that was a Wiseco?
Regardless, 400 is alot of hours for a piston.

I know you showed me a post where a guy showed that part # as a Wiseco, but later in the thread, Shushup1 showed a link to a Denis Kirk site that shows the part # as being CW with a Vertex piston, so who knows:excuseme: it's obviously not a common occurrence and like you said, it had alot of hours on it. I knew the clock was ticking, just glad I replaced it before it went KABOOMSKI'S.

• Like 2