2008 CRF450R Octane Rating!

We just run regular 93 w/ethanol but that's the best we can do around here.

I saw someone write that they turn off the gas at the petcock and drain the gas from the bowl when they're done for the day. Good idea. You can see the drain hose in the pic. Locate it below and put in a can for waste or some kind of catch container.

2008-crf450-restore_5.jpg

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HRC27 said:

I saw someone write that they turn off the gas at the petcock and drain the gas from the bowl when they're done for the day. Good idea. You can see the drain hose in the pic. Locate it below and put in a can for waste or some kind of catch container.

That's exactly what I do in the kids bikes. In the big bikes the ethanol dirt hurt it so much but on the kids bikes the jets are so tiny, they clog up easily when the ethanol sits in there and starts to gel up. Run pump 93.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, macz400 said:

That's exactly what I do in the kids bikes. In the big bikes the ethanol dirt hurt it so much but on the kids bikes the jets are so tiny, they clog up easily when the ethanol sits in there and starts to gel up. Run pump 93.

I'm doing it on my 450 now too. I just drain it in the "Lawn Mower" gas can. :D

• Like 1

I've been running straight Pump 93 in my 08 450,.. I typically will mix some Marine Grade Stabilizer(The green'ish/blue'ish stuff)  in each tank as well as add some seafoam...

I never drain my carbs,.but I do try and fire them up at a least once a month when their sitting (All my bikes - 85 V65, CRF320&100, and a KFX 400 )

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crfthedirt said:

What octane do you run in your stock 450?! Regular 93? Non-ethanol, 91, 87, etc! I’m interested in seeing what you guys run and why?!

I run 93 "Real Gas" non-ethenol technically I could run the 88 non-ethenol from one of our local stores around the west "maverick" because at the elevation I am at 4200~ feet and not really any mods I don't have any problems with pre-detonation.

I used to cut 108 leaded octane 50/50 with 93 octane pump gas.   Not so much for performance reasons but I liked running my finger along the inside of the muffler and not seeing black residue on my finger but instead a grey cigarette-like ash.   Top of my piston and valves look the same way.

But somewhere along this past summer I moved over to 108 straight which was interesting.  I swear I could feel a difference in the response also now where I run my finger on the inside of the pipe, nothing rubs off... zero residue.  I'm excited to see the top end when I rebuild it this winter.

I wish I could do that with my 16 YZ250F but Daniel Crower says I shouldn't go over 94 with his cams which are freaking incredible boost upgrades I might add.

21 hours ago, HRC27 said:

There is no ethanol in the 93 in Florida.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

I used to cut 108 leaded octane 50/50 with 93 octane pump gas.   Not so much for performance reasons but I liked running my finger along the inside of the muffler and not seeing black residue on my finger but instead a grey cigarette-like ash.   Top of my piston and valves look the same way.

But somewhere along this past summer I moved over to 108 straight which was interesting.  I swear I could feel a difference in the response also now where I run my finger on the inside of the pipe, nothing rubs off... zero residue.  I'm excited to see the top end when I rebuild it this winter.

I wish I could do that with my 16 YZ250F but Daniel Crower says I shouldn't go over 94 with his cams which are freaking incredible boost upgrades I might add.

You're just wasting money on the high octane instead of correcting your rich jetting.

• Like 2

In the 450, C12 or MR4.  Not for the octane as much as avoiding ethanol.  No petcock with FI.

In all the other 2T, either non-ethanol 88 for the stock bikes or C12 for the Eric Gorr built bike.  In those bikes, I always shut off the petcock and run them out of fuel or close to it.

• Like 1

Hmmmm I might have to try out the 108 straight and see what it does for me!

:facepalm:

Hahah Joe, my jetting is perfect, not too lean and not too rich. I’m just curious to try everything! Im trying to see If a higher octane, thats a cleaner fuel, such as E85 (for cars) will keep the internals cleaner, maybe not running it all the time but just once in a while!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Crfthedirt said:

Hahah Joe, my jetting is perfect, not too lean and not too rich. I’m just curious to try everything! Im trying to see If a higher octane, thats a cleaner fuel, such as E85 (for cars) will keep the internals cleaner, maybe not running it all the time but just once in a while!

?       Yeah , be sure and post your results.

• Like 1

This better than an oil thread.... I use 93 10% ethanaol pump gas from Shell with 104 octane booster (when I have it).   I do turn the gas off about one minute before turning bike off.  

2007 stock carb never off bike,  but when I do the shock next time I will install an adjustable fuel screw and a Boyesen Quickshot 2.

jetting seems right on for sea level.

image.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Crfthedirt said:

I just don't trust pump gas in my scooters.  If enough people are telling me not to leave it in the carb/tank for any amount of time then there is enough evidence for me not to use it at all, if I can avoid it.    Moreover, if I had to have a hobby that needed to stay within economical boundaries then choosing MX was seriously poor choice.  LOL.   I spend a lot of money on bikes and I don't regret a dime of it.   Women?  I've never made a good choice there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

This better than an oil thread.... I use 93 10% ethanaol pump gas from Shell with 104 octane booster (when I have it).   I do turn the gas off about one minute before turning bike off.  

2007 stock carb never off bike,  but when I do the shock next time I will install an adjustable fuel screw and a Boyesen Quickshot 2.

jetting seems right on for sea level.

image.jpg

You ever read what's in your octane booster ?   ?