Son wants to trade his TTR125 for YZ85

My son has been riding a TTR125 small wheel with electric start for a year now. As a family, we ride trails but my son also rides a MX track which he's got a growing passion for.

The TTR125 is a 2006 and we have found an owner of a 2013 YZ85 small wheel who is interested in a trade. His son wants a trail bike - my son wants a MX bike. But my son still will ride trails as well.

My question - all things being equal such as maintenance and condition, how close would a 2006 TTR come to the price of a 2013 YZ on value?

Thanks

Edited by Augoose

My son has been riding a TTR125 small wheel with electric start for a year now. As a family, we ride trails but my son also rides a MX track which he's got a growing passion for.
The TTR125 is a 2006 and we have found an owner of a 2013 YZ85 small wheel who is interested in a trade. His son wants a trail bike - my son wants a MX bike. But my son still will ride trails as well.
My question - all things being equal such as maintenance and condition, how close would a 2006 TTR come to the price of a 2018 YZ on value?
Thanks
If its clean I'd say it's fair, yz 85 are really cheap to maintain as far as mx bikes go and simple to do top end rebuilds as it has no power valve ,but it is like a light switch power wise and not the easiest to trail ride but plenty do able.my son went from xr 100 to yz85 and all we do is trail ride,you can research yz85 woods bike and find all kinds of stuff,the best thing we did was running a kx85 slide and needle to smooth out the hit.kx 85 and the rm85 are both power valve motors which give them a little bottom end power compared to the yz making them a better choice for trails,the yz will make a kid a good rider though as he will have stay on the pipe more.id go for it if it's what your looking for but I'd put a piston in it right away unless you know for sure how many hrs are on it.those little motors turn some high rpm's.if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks mudmixer.

Are you saying that if my TTR is clean it is fair or the other way around?

9 minutes ago, Augoose said:

Thanks mudmixer.

I would think the 85 is worth about 1000 more if they are in equal condition.

Edited by Clutch44
  • Like 1

Thanks Clutch. I want both sides to be happy but I'd feel far better about the deal knowing that I'm not trading down. I didn't think I was, but......

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mudmixer said:

.kx 85 and the rm85 are both power valve motors which give them a little bottom end power compared to the yz making them a better choice for trails,

this is the reason i would avoid a yz for trails

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kxrob said:

this is the reason i would avoid a yz for trails

I thought about that, but as mudmixer said and as I've read, there are simple carb mods which can help turn a YZ into a smoother trail bike. This bike will be run 60% track and 40% trails. The TTR is a small wheel and is getting a bit small and underpowered. My son wants more suspension travel, a larger frame and more power but I'm trying to keep the weight down for him too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Augoose said:

I thought about that, but as mudmixer said and as I've read, there are simple carb mods which can help turn a YZ into a smoother trail bike. This bike will be run 60% track and 40% trails. The TTR is a small wheel and is getting a bit small and underpowered. My son wants more suspension travel, a larger frame and more power but I'm trying to keep the weight down for him too.

carb mod would help , but imo the biggest down fall is the no power valve set up . trials bikes don't have a power valve but they are port and designed to tractor but lacks the top end scream . small bores need to rev to make power and the power band is narrower 

He'll be fine on it. It has way more power than he has now and it will teach him how to really ride. He's gonna love it once he gets the clutch down.

• Like 2

Thanks mudmixer.

You would be on the upper side of the deal,but you have to consider you will have to put a top end in every 20hrs if he is ripping on a track,crank,top end, gaskets and main bearings will be around 400 if you do it yourself,you can do it cheaper with a aftermarket crank but I wont run any crank than o.e.m Yamaha and same for bearings and cylinder base gasket.i took a perfectly fine hot rod crank out of my sons 85 when we got it and replaced it with a OEM crank,it costs a lot more to have to replate,new pistons and maybe cases when cheap cranks fail.they are good little bikes when set up for there purpose,suspension is great,they are well balanced and go as fast as a young man needs to go,especially if he holds the throttle grip hi when it hits the power,I've watched my son learn the hard way in the woods what that bike will do at full whiskey throttle.make that trade and have fun teaching your son how to work on bikes,it's fun!

The YZ will be a lot better for even he tightest trails than the TTR.

He will suffer at first but will learn so much it will all be worth it after 1 year or 1 month for that matter.

I raised two boys I know from experience the YZ 85 is a great bike.

Check Craiglsist in your area for bike prices and market index.  then make a deal, Your son will be forever in your debt and think you are a "God"

• Like 1

I went through all this with my son, lots of MX racing and trail riding in both 2 stroke and 4 stroke classes.  And I will tell you this, even though he was going much faster on the two strokes, I always felt better myself as the smokers have real brakes, suspension, and are much lighter.  It used to scare the crap out of me how fast he could go on those heavy, poorly suspended 4 stroke play bikes.  I think you will be happy about the switch, although it may be a little shocking how much faster the YZ can cover certain types of terrain.

If you have a good deal lined up, take it.  But if that deal falls through, here are a few observations regarding the small two stroke options:

1.  Although I have not seen the new YZ 65, I don't think there's much doubt that the KTM offerings are the best race bikes, but they require of level of maintenance and attention well beyond full size bikes.  My son was constantly warping brake rotors, cracking wheel hubs, and having problems with the driveline, but those bikes were fast and smooth.  If you are looking primarily at trail bikes, I would stay away from them, regardless of how nice they look.  

2. At the opposite extreme were the KX models (we had 65, 85, and 100 models).  Other than keeping the air filter clean, they hardly require any more care than a 4 stroke play bike.  And they are certainly competitive for racing at a local level.   Use filter skins over the air filter to cut down on maintenance.  The airbox is tiny on these bikes, and filter skins can keep the filter clean a long time.

3. The powervalve is probably not that much of an issue is your son is reasonably skilled, so I would not worry about that when looking at bikes.  Kids learn fast to keep the bike spinning.  For example, we ride a lot of eastern single track, and my son really liked his CR 85 as a woods weapon, even over the KX 100 we transitioned to.  The KX had a broader powerband for sure, but it didn't really matter to him, as he always had that 85 lit up.  He felt that the CR handled better (at his size).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Augoose said:

Start shopping around for a set of "big" wheels. It will be an easy way to have the bike grow with your son.

After that, start shopping for a YZ125. Your son will soon outgrow the 85 -- either size-wise or skill-wise.

Congratulations! It's a great season to be a Dad. :thumbsup:

I know you’re looking to trade, but Yamaha just updated the YZ85 which maybe makes the older model one less valuable but certainly means you might consider selling the TTR outright and getting the newest model. Among other things, it has a power valve and thus a more usable power band. Of course the economics are far different, but FYI in case you didn’t know.

• Like 1

I moved two kids from a kdx110 to a ktm 85sx. It was a slight size upgrade for them and it still worked well on trails. I think the biggest adjustment was the shifter. The kdx was N-1-2-3 and the SX was 1-N-2-3-4.

It was also a nice step into getting them to maintain the bike. Just cleaning air filters, measuring oil, changing oil, and lubing wheel bolts and chains.

As one other person said, they will quickly move to a 125cc with a growth spurt right around the corner.

• Like 1

Thanks all for all the suggestions and help. I agree, its a great time to be a dad, the family mechanic and outfitting both boys and the wife with bikes!

So I just picked up the bike. Traded the 2006 TTR125E plus $260 for a 2013 YZ85. I feel both parties walked away happy which is the most important part.

Getting it in better light now, I see that it has been laid down several times since the side of the frame is pretty scratched up as is the rear axle bolt end. The radiator was also bent pretty good but the most fins are straight and it doesn't leak. Someone (not the PO) replaced all the plastics and they look great so that's a plus. The bike overall is pretty clean with the exception of the scratches. My son rode it around in the parking lot for a bit - started w/ one kick, smoked pretty good, but seemed to have decent compression.

The PO is the 3rd owner and didn't have any info on hours or when/if its had a rebuild. Bit of a gamble but like others said, good opportunity to turn wrenches with my boys if all else fails.

Looking forward to spending more time over on the Yamaha 2 Stroke side of the forum!

• Like 5