Most overrated and underrated rider in AMA Supercross

22 hours ago, Wally63 said:

Most over rated in Supercross-  Mike Alessi     "believe the hype!"

Most under rated, and I hate to say it-  Jason Anderson ....he is basically a supercross only rider the past few years, but he is crafty and fast.

Good rider in his time, nothing more

13 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

I wasn't gonna play but what the hell. This will undoubtedly piss a few of you off but.......

Most Overrated: Damon Bradshaw. Reminds me of a another "current" racer who always gets so close to winning the SX title then self implodes. However, the "other current" racer still has a chance.

Most Underrated: Mike LaRocco. More of a outdoors guy and 500cc guy and was never really looked at as a major threat in SX. However, he was really good at throwing the wrench into the works of the "top" guys who were expected to win and he never backed down to any of them.

I thought of Alessi too at first. But he was more hype for the outdoors. Everyone knew he sucked a bowl of dicks in SX prior.

Alessi front end being taken out by Poto sealed the deal for both just like Zac on Joey and James on Chad,  it's you are my the bitch moments.

Bradshaw oh yes Bradshaw,  total boring useless footnote in history looking at his Championships.  Let us watch Bailey for excitement! 

12 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

I think Bradshaw would have had at least one Indoor title, probably more, had Yamaha not had that horrible clause in his contract. Couple that with MXA magazine making his life miserable and I can understand his fall from grace.

History can be so cruel but Damon was at the helm.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GBowman said:

Yes, way wrong. If he won the title he got an OPTIONAL 1 year extension with a huge raise. The contract he got was done before the supercross season ended and he got such a huge raise because they anticipated him winning the championship.  Instead he blew out his knee the week before at a national and could barely ride that week ending his title hopes. 

If the final race wasn't postponed,  he would have been healthy for the last race. 

Never heard anything like that before. Thanks Gary! I stand corrected!!

Man I am still hanging tough for Roczen and I know several of you had him down as overrated, but is he? Are some of you just tired of hearing Roczen and Tomac's name?

I do believe that several of you have had Tomac and Roczen as overrated for the sake they have not ridden to indoor championships, I get it. But if we are including the past riders as well as the current, it is very hard to argue with the fact the skill and fitness levels have risen exponentially. I know someone is going to jump my butt but I really do not see how you can make a rational case against the level these riders have had to rise to with the track layouts and the horsepower demands on the bikes.

This is why I have a very hard time regulating Roczen and Tomac to overrated status. When they are on, they are phenomenal there is no question and truthfully I would rather watch these 2 guys race each other than watch Reed run into Stewart or vice versa. But both guys make some very foolish mistakes and it continues to cost them. 

Underrated of all time? Has to be Dungey for me. I am not sure what he has to do, I am really not. I have heard all the statements about Villapoto and I am not denying them, but Dungey also "committed career suicide" at the same time for all of you that forgot, and then persevered through it. I watched Straight Rhythm 3 times now and Dungey can ride a bike. I had honestly forgot how good he actually was.

One last thing, Roczen's story is amazing. That was career ending both times and here he is. He also looks a lot looser than last year. I am not sure how you can look at his career and his come back and say he is overrated. 

• Like 2

I think with roczen we all know he has easy enough speed and talent to win sx 450 ,but he just get basically impatient ,and it bites him so bad

If you look at his career he won so much so early ,it feels like lean times ,compared to most it's s bounty lol

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, Cigaro said:

Pourcel-Over rated by his fan base-Mentally he was a snowflake not tough enough to win anything outside of a 6-7 race regional series

You think a man with multiple wins and championships, who recovered from a crash that left him paralysed from the waist down lacks mental toughness? He couldn't go to the toilet himself, had to be fed through a tube. Taught himself to walk again, got back on the bike with a catheter still fitted, but he's mentally not tough enough to win anything.

Lol interesting perspective you have there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kev250 said:

You think a man with multiple wins and championships, who recovered from a crash that left him paralysed from the waist down lacks mental toughness? He couldn't go to the toilet himself, had to be fed through a tube. Taught himself to walk again, got back on the bike with a catheter still fitted, but he's mentally not tough enough to win anything.

Lol interesting perspective you have there.

He was a snowflake. Can't even count how many times he pulled off the track and quit because things weren't going his way...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cigaro said:

He was a snowflake. Can't even count how many times he pulled off the track and quit because things weren't going his way...

I don't wish this on anyone, not in any way at all, but if you ever have experience of an injury like this yourself, or even have to watch close friends or family go through something like that you may find your opinion changing. I personally think you would have a rude awakening about mental toughness. He got back on a bike and won again, most people would just be thankful to walk. 

I'm not a big super fan of Pourcells, but I respect his resolve enormously ,he's no snowflake, even if you only look at his results after his paralysis recovery he has achieved more than the vast majority of professional motocross riders.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I'm with dungey most underrated

He was faster or as fast as anyone in the world 95% of the time ,and yet crashed less than anyone in the history of the sport

I totally agree with you Mog. Dungey was so smooth that he didn’t appear to be riding as fast as he actually was. That guy hauled the mail like nobody’s business. VERY underrated for sure.
  • Like 3

Tough subject. "In history" or current.
Webb was disappointing on the 450, but Chad Reed just said the 450 was garbage and Yamaha didn't listen to him.  Might also explain the backwards Yamaha sending James backwards and on his head.The newer 450 Yamaha seems worlds better.
JLAW and Lachine had a ton of talent that would have killed the comperition year after year if they had half of Dungey's dedication. 
Malcolm Stewart seems to fit that mold. Ton of talent, mentally not dedicated. 
Tomac and Roczen were the next wonder kids. Both blew up their bodies.

Underrated now? Tomac. No one can beat him straight up.  Everyone expects the big crash. Tomac is getting smarter and playing the "Diesel Dungey Game".
Overrated now? Webb gets the chance to show it was the bike/team, not him. If he doesn't pick up his game the 2 plate formerly run by Villipoto and McGrath is going to look like a reach. I'm hoping Webb ups his game on the KTM.

I agree with your assessment of Webb. It will be very interesting to see how well he performs on the KTM.
  • Like 1

Most underrated? Tomac. There’s not a rider who will line up in 2019 not knowing Tomac has them all covered Barbarian Style. They’re hoping for the best. Honesty. If any of us could line up and “channel” any of the current riders, who wouldn’t choose to be Tomac? This is still Motocross, sort of. Why all the hate for an obviously nice guy who gives it his all in Beast Mode when the gate drops? His dad was (is) a bad a$$ and so is he.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, motrock93b said:

Most underrated? Tomac. There’s not a rider who will line up in 2019 not knowing Tomac has them all covered Barbarian Style. They’re hoping for the best. Honesty. If any of us could line up and “channel” any of the current riders, who wouldn’t choose to be Tomac? This is still Motocross, sort of. Why all the hate for an obviously nice guy who gives it his all in Beast Mode when the gate drops? His dad was (is) a bad a$$ and so is he.

Very few fans remember race wins.

Nearly everyone remembers Champions.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 7:12 PM, Kev250 said:

I don't wish this on anyone, not in any way at all, but if you ever have experience of an injury like this yourself, or even have to watch close friends or family go through something like that you may find your opinion changing. I personally think you would have a rude awakening about mental toughness. He got back on a bike and won again, most people would just be thankful to walk. 

I'm not a big super fan of Pourcells, but I respect his resolve enormously ,he's no snowflake, even if you only look at his results after his paralysis recovery he has achieved more than the vast majority of professional motocross riders.

Felt entitled to certain factory rides

Didn't wanna train or practice any more than he wanted to

Pouted and quit when things didn't go his way

Ya that pretty much sums up the behavior pattern of the modern day snowflake...

9 hours ago, Cigaro said:

Felt entitled to certain factory rides

Didn't wanna train or practice any more than he wanted to

Pouted and quit when things didn't go his way

Ya that pretty much sums up the behavior pattern of the modern day snowflake...

I enjoy reading your post but dude you have to back off on the avatar!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1