california Best shop in I.E. to take my (black) rim that won't damage it! First tire change on '18 250 Xcf

Good day, folks. 

A recent trip to Ocotillo gave me the first flat on this 2018 Ktm 250 Xcf. 20 hours on the clock, hit a rock going up a hill and caused a herendous pinch flat that instantly deflated not only my tire but my ride that day as well. 😒

I am now looking to have the tube replaced and am concerned as to what shops in the Redlands, San Bernardino Riverside area have the best reputation for tire service. Who has the best equipment? Technicians? Where can I take my rim to have it worked on that will not hurt my pretty new rims? Coyne, Redlands HYOR, Chaparral, Malcolm Smith... These are the shops I am familiar with for parts locally. 

I have spoons and can easily damage it myself, but I would rather pay a professional that can hopefully avoid any problems. 

Any info is much appreciated!

20181009_091620.jpg

Edited by KillinTrailsMachine

thank you for feeding the thread beast today.   this should be good.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Haha, right! Not looking to start a Rotella thread, just who has had recent good, and maybe not so good luck with the local shops here. I am sure there are some folks who frequent Milestone, Pala(Fox), GH or any other tracks in the area that have a newer bike and need frequent tire changes. Who are you guys taking them to? I recall having my sons flat rapaired on his KX85 at Milestone but it has old silver rims. Did the job that day. 

You will never keep those rims scratch free.  It’s only the first one that hurts.  Just get it over with.

• Like 9

I haven't tried these yet but I have some in my toolbox:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0357

These actually look better:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0546

But I agree with above, it's a dirt bike and will get scratched when riding let alone when changing tires. I gave up on trying to shrink wrap my new bikes a long time ago.

My road bike on the other hand, is a different story. I bring my wheels to a pro to get the tires changed.

• Like 2

Its a dirt bike for criminy sake...  :lol:

Learn to change your own tires or turn in your man card... IMMEDIATELY !

OK all kidding aside...  no shop will guarantee a scratch free change.  No one will ever give your bike the care and concern you will after you have learned the how to.  And with the shops you listed it will depend on the day and the guy assigned to your bike.  Tuesday Joe at Shop A will not scratch the rim.  Wednesday he might.  Thursday Ralph at shop B changes ten tires...  on only one did he scratch a rim.

What you are asking is just not realistic. Just pick any reputable shop...  express your concern to them...  and hope or the best....  or do it yourself. 

And yes the newer Motion Pro Rim Protectors work.  :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

black sharpie is your friend. or take over to Dewey Screwem and Howe to got your over price work done. rim scratches are like scars. chicks dig them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Its a dirt bike for criminy sake...  :lol:

Learn to change your own tires or turn in your man card... IMMEDIATELY !

OK all kidding aside...  no shop will guarantee a scratch free change.  No one will ever give your bike the care and concern you will after you have learned the how to.  And with the shops you listed it will depend on the day and the guy assigned to your bike.  Tuesday Joe at Shop A will not scratch the rim.  Wednesday he might.  Thursday Ralph at shop B changes ten tires...  on only one did he scratch a rim.

What you are asking is just not realistic. Just pick any reputable shop...  express your concern to them...  and hope or the best....  or do it yourself. 

And yes the newer Motion Pro Rim Protectors work.  :cheers:

Lmfao!! With 5 kids and the old lady I gave up my man card a long time ago!

Seriously though, good advice all around. Especially on nobody taking the time and care I will. My weaknesses: 

1.Tire changes without popping the tube.

2. Bottom ends.

3. Suspension. 

• Like 1

HEY Everyone!!!

Somehow we all ignored the fact that OP got a 

herendous pinch flat

that led to all his fretting.  

My dude--Tubliss

Personally I find it much more forgiving when installing a tire on a Tubliss equipped rim.  Also you never would have gotten the pinch in the first place~~

And it'll give you better protection for those pretty rims.......

Edited by kevvyd
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, kevvyd said:

HEY Everyone!!!

Somehow we all ignored the fact that OP got a 

that led to all his fretting.  

My dude--Tubliss

Personally I find it much more forgiving when installing a tire on a Tubliss equipped rim.  Also you never would have gotten the pinch in the first place~~

And it'll give you better protection for those pretty rims.......

I would guess it had more to do with the stock paper thin tubes.  UHD tubes would have prevented this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gflo said:

I would guess it had more to do with the stock paper thin tubes.  UHD tubes would have prevented this.

Ewww-HD inner tubes😜

7 hours ago, KillinTrailsMachine said:

Good day, folks. 

A recent trip to Ocotillo gave me the first flat on this 2018 Ktm 250 Xcf. 20 hours on the clock, hit a rock going up a hill and caused a herendous pinch flat that instantly deflated not only my tire but my ride that day as well. 😒

I am now looking to have the tube replaced and am concerned as to what shops in the Redlands, San Bernardino Riverside area have the best reputation for tire service. Who has the best equipment? Technicians? Where can I take my rim to have it worked on that will not hurt my pretty new rims? Coyne, Redlands HYOR, Chaparral, Malcolm Smith... These are the shops I am familiar with for parts locally. 

I have spoons and can easily damage it myself, but I would rather pay a professional that can hopefully avoid any problems. 

20181009_091620.jpg

Best thread of the day! 🧚‍♂️

8 hours ago, KillinTrailsMachine said:

Good day, folks. 

20181009_091620.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A decision has been made and the work is done. 

I took it to shop A. Chaparral Motorsports. I mentioned to them my concerns as this is the first time it will be worked on. I asked what measures they take to avoid any damage and the tech said I will be doing the work, I always use rim protectors. Another tech suggested he used the machine. 

The tech asked which tube I wanted, I said heavy duty, 2mm. He asked which brand, I said STI. He said I can put a 3mm tube in, I said 2mm is fine. 

As the work was being done I asked a tech at the counter to please make sure the tire was being flipped. He came back and said the work is done and it was not flipped. He said it can be taken off and done again with the tire flipped, however I declined as that would risk the rim being scratched/damaged once again. 

I now had the rim with new tube installed back in my hands. No valve stem cap. I check the reciept and it says 3mm Ocelot tube. No tire flip. BUT.... NO SCRATCHES!! Lol

I asked for the valve stem cap as I don't want dirt/dust in my valve stem but didn't bother with the rest. I will just ride with a heavy ass 3mm tube (the reason I dont use 120 rears. Weight) for the remainder of the tires life. I should have known because the box he grabbed for the tube was the size of a suitcase! On the plus side the 3mm tube should give more flat protection like some have said here.

So in the end I got what I was asking for (sort of) and didn't have any damage occur to my new rim. I get it, it's a dirt bike. But after many years of riding old(er) bikes, this is my first brand new dirt bike. It will only be babied for so long, I ride it like an '89 125. 

Looong story short, I am buying some curved spoons to go along with my old ones, and some motion pro rim protectors and will fab a stand for the garage. I could have bought 4 of the correct tubes for the price of this one! I will do the work from now on and if it gets scratched at least I am the one that did it. 

20181217_185055_HDR.jpg

5 minutes ago, KillinTrailsMachine said:

A decision has been made and the work is done. 

I took it to shop A. Chaparral Motorsports. I mentioned to them my concerns as this is the first time it will be worked on. I asked what measures they take to avoid any damage and the tech said I will be doing the work, I always use rim protectors. Another tech suggested he used the machine. 

The tech asked which tube I wanted, I said heavy duty, 2mm. He asked which brand, I said STI. He said I can put a 3mm tube in, I said 2mm is fine. 

As the work was being done I asked a tech at the counter to please make sure the tire was being flipped. He came back and said the work is done and it was not flipped. He said it can be taken off and done again with the tire flipped, however I declined as that would risk the rim being scratched/damaged once again. 

I now had the rim with new tube installed back in my hands. No valve stem cap. I check the reciept and it says 3mm Ocelot tube. No tire flip. BUT.... NO SCRATCHES!! Lol

I asked for the valve stem cap as I don't want dirt/dust in my valve stem but didn't bother with the rest. I will just ride with a heavy ass 3mm tube (the reason I dont use 120 rears. Weight) for the remainder of the tires life. I should have known because the box he grabbed for the tube was the size of a suitcase! On the plus side the 3mm tube should give more flat protection like some have said here.

So in the end I got what I was asking for (sort of) and didn't have any damage occur to my new rim. I get it, it's a dirt bike. But after many years of riding old(er) bikes, this is my first brand new dirt bike. It will only be babied for so long, I ride it like an '89 125. 

Looong story short, I am buying some curved spoons to go along with my old ones, and some motion pro rim protectors and will fab a stand for the garage. I could have bought 4 of the correct tubes for the price of this one! I will do the work from now on and if it gets scratched at least I am the one that did it. 

20181217_185055_HDR.jpg