How often do you change your clutch and brake fluids?

On 12/18/2018 at 5:35 AM, ADVLite said:

Why are you changing your oil pump gears? I just had mine looked at because I had a rekluse installed and they looked brand new. I had 114 hours and 2800 miles. My mechanic said my clutch fluid was really dirty when he changed it. received_723098808090328.jpegreceived_2237416179875138.jpeg

You change them because when they start to fail or wear out, they go down-hill REALLY FAST and can cause catastrophic engine failure in a matter of minutes.

It takes 35 mins to do it, and you only have to do it once.

17 hours ago, VELORACERMIKE said:

This vid is for an Aprilia Tuono but the concepts will work on any car or bike. The advantage to reverse bleeding is it forces the air up and out (it's natural path). I've been doing it this way for years and it's way better than any other method I've tried.

Thanks for posting this video.  This is very helpful. 

• Like 1

Since I'm the OP of this thread I might as well provide an update.

So I had my dealer change out my plastic oil pump gears back in mid-December.  They gave me back the stock plastic gears which look absolutely brand new. Not a mark on them.  So yes, it's a bit annoying that Beta suggests changing these out at 100 hours.  I know they need to be conservative with their estimates, but I would say for anyone out there who doesn't race their bike (I don't) and changes the gear oil on a regular basis as I have, you can easily wait 150+ hours before you even need to start thinking about changing them out.  As others have commented, many guys have 200+ hours on their bikes and are still running the stock plastic gears without issue.  For me, I'm happy that it's done and I don't need to think about it anymore.

My valves at 112 hours/3,000 miles were within spec, so that's good to know.

Clutch and brake fluids changed out with no issues.  I'm going to learn to do this myself.  Seems too easy to have to pay someone else to do it. 

I've been dealing with a hanging idle issue for about a year now.  Seems more of an issue in the colder months.  The dealer adjusted my idle as much as possible but said I should keep an eye on it, as I may need to replace the throttle body in the near future.

Other than that, the bike runs like a top and still runs as strong today as it did when I bought it brand new. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for sharing your experience. Mine was similar on my 390.

This is normal and predominantly the rule, not the exception when it comes to the reliability/durability of these FI Betas. 

Unfortunately, the misnomer that gets perpetrated far too often, is the rare exceptions of problems and issues. Often, looking closer at some of these situations reveals these were brought on by self inflicted poor maintenance or not inspecting the bike on a regular basis.