Upshift issue, Hard to Shift 1st to neutral when stopped, 2nd to 3rd under load

I crashed my DRZ - bike fell on the left side - a couple months ago..I have been riding it again and have noticed some issues now with shifting 2nd to 3rd gear under load. Its very difficult I have to pull up VERY hard to get it into 3rd under load..And even then I don't get a positive shift every time..

I had another issue first start of the bike after it sat while I was injured.  Very difficult to get it from 1st to Neutral -- skips neutral goes to 2nd..and have to pull up very hard on the shifter pedal..I shredded my lower chain guide roller because my chain was way too tight (forgot to check and adjust after working on rear wheel - chain).  I also installed the chain roller guide with the washer on bearing in the wrong place so the roller wasn't rolling...not sure this caused my current issue or related..(fixed the chain slack and roller guide replaced).

I plan on removing the right side cover (new gasket in hand) and inspecting the clutch plates and springs as noted here.  Anything else I can check - never removed the right side cover but I wanna take a look at the shift mechanism, inspect and fix anything that might be messed up from the crash.. Please let me know what you would look at, look for and best guess what could be wrong here...

During my down time from riding I did change the my frayed clutch cable and I do think part of my Neutral issue was from incorrect adjustment because after adjusting clutch it shifts to Neutral easily...

Anyone run one of those Factory Pro shift kits w/ HD detent springs / and micro-bearing detent arm?  Supposedly give you a more positive, faster shift?? Popular mod on CRF's / YAMAHAS, and KTM 690...never heard of anyone trying on the DrZ tho..

Link to shift kit...

http://www.factorypro.com/products/shift_kit,Factory_Pro.html

If I find I need to replace clutch plates is Moose or OEM equally good?  For springs Barnett, OEM or Moose?

Thanks!

Edited by Sasha Rudolfski

You'll need to inspect the shifter shaft to make sure it hasn't bent where it goes into the case on the left side , also that the snap ring is still in the groove . As to that shifter "pro" thing , I can see it working but $140 for something I'd have maybe $25-$30 into making ? WOW  There are a lot of little thing I need to add to my list of product line and sell much cheaper than some of those others .

OK, thanks for reply I'll look at the shifter shaft and snap ring..

The F Pro shop is close by house.  They sell DRZ stuff for much less than advertised online when you show up in person so I'd guess $40-50 for that shift kit...

• Like 1

Let us know how that works for you... I had a little "get off" and need to do a few repairs and I have had some issues shifting so am curious !!!