Dirt bike Christmas gifts

Still surfing IMG_1498.thumb.JPG.03e87cd1f896565a8e08e365094f6fcd.JPG

Don’t get me wrong about dirt biking being good for your soul. It is!

But surfing has a level of zen factor that’s hard to duplicate. Years ago, when my surfing stomping ground was Leo Carrillo state park (up the 101 from LA not quite yet to Ventura) a surfing buddy of mine read to me an article in a local newspaper. It went something like this: some super successful businessman had died. Someone of importance enough to warrant the newspaper coverage. Let’s say he was a ceo from a notable company or something like that. Lots of success and notoriety. He was quoted sometime before his death as saying (as I remember it), “I was never as happy as those days surfing Leo.” Here was some guy, surely a millionaire, with all the success many people yearn for, and instead of finding happiness inside of paneled meeting rooms in various corporate settings, or however he was spending his “valuable” time, he simply wished he had spent more time on his surfboard out on the water with his buddies. Maybe a $500 surfboard for a guy worth $5 or $50 million. He had all the money but foolishly used his time. I try to let that story be a reminder. Know what’s important on the only balance sheet that matters in life: not a financial one; but rather a “how you spent your time” one. May he rest in peace and his words be advice to us all. Surf. Ride. Climb. Run. Cycle. Ski. Board. Camp. Hike. Do one or do them all. With people you care about. Don’t look back with regret.
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes,
All right now!

So I went to the doctor, see what he could give me
He said son, son, you've gone too far
'Cause smokin' and trippin' is all that you do
Yeah