Non-Dirt Bike Kids

1 minute ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, RawbW said:
my dad was not a horse guy, but at least me and you can relate in being disappointments to family. Yeah!

My father is still in mourning that I quit football, baseball and basketball to play golf and ride motorcycles. I am a Great Disappointment lol.

most people involved in those sports only play them till their senior year in high school. maybe some college. if they're super dedicated, adult city sports leagues. but 95 percent of the time it ends after high school, which turns into only watching sports and turning into a fat yelling at the tv tub of lard. 

• Like 5

I’ve tried to give my son every opportunity to get into the sport. Gear and a 50 included.  I think he’s starting to  get it and like it but my daughter, she wants everything to do with me and the bike.  Even gets upset when I wash it without her. She’s going to be five this year and that 50 is all hers as far as I’m concerned. You can’t force a kid to like something. Their individuals from the womb and will eventually find what they like no matter what you do. I say gently steer them and support them in any sport that they get into. Encourage play and a life outside, show them nature and wonder.  You’ll be ahead of most of the world if you do that for them. 

And realize how how lucky you are to do that for them. I never had that and the few people who gave me the opportunities made a huge impact. 

Edited by Vish
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Children are expensive, I took a hard pass. My dogs may not cure cancer but they also won't end up in jail or rehab.

Plus, you can kick ‘em when they do the butt schooch across the carpet without going to jail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neither of my kids or for that matter anyone else in my family rides motorbikes or does any sports. Mostly teachers and art/music stuff is what they are all into. I’ve always been the black sheep of the family with my interests in cars and motorsports. My kids aren’t interested and that’s totally ok by me. My 21yo son has been in the same band since he was 15 and they have a record out and toured across Canada. They play death metal so it’s not like they will get rich from it but they are living life and having a great time which is all I ever wanted for him. My 11yo daughter is more of an arts and crafts kid as well. She has a 50 but just couldn’t get the coordination so she lost interest in it. Oh well no big deal

• Like 4

12 hours ago, dittohead said:

Neither of my kids or for that matter anyone else in my family rides motorbikes or does any sports. Mostly teachers and art/music stuff is what they are all into. I’ve always been the black sheep of the family with my interests in cars and motorsports. My kids aren’t interested and that’s totally ok by me. My 21yo son has been in the same band since he was 15 and they have a record out and toured across Canada. They play death metal so it’s not like they will get rich from it but they are living life and having a great time which is all I ever wanted for him. My 11yo daughter is more of an arts and crafts kid as well. She has a 50 but just couldn’t get the coordination so she lost interest in it. Oh well no big deal

What is the band name?? I am big into underground metal and such. I am happy he is living the dream!

Edited by Pesh Merga

Being a motorcycle forum, I'll talk about skiing some more. OK, just one point: Most ski bums ski 3 to 8-year-old used equipment and they can out-ski anyone. Show people your skill and no one cares about your appearance. Mom and Pop ski hills have dirt-cheap season passes from $99 to $400. MTBohemia.com; it's all you'll ever need, legit, steep as shit. "Oh God, I'm gonna die!"

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

If I were to start over I’d for sure NOT get a Honda 50. I really didn’t know about the Oset electric trials bikes at the time, even the PW50 would’ve been better. The Honda seems like the iconic first bike but the 110lbs, way to steep of forks, no need for 3spds, and by the time a kid can handle the weight it’s way too short.

6 hours ago, Deb Tatum said:

Being a motorcycle forum, I'll talk about skiing some more. OK, just one point: Most ski bums ski 3 to 8-year-old used equipment and they can out-ski anyone. Show people your skill and no one cares about your appearance. Mom and Pop ski hills have dirt-cheap season passes from $99 to $400. MTBohemia.com; it's all you'll ever need, legit, steep as shit. "Oh God, I'm gonna die!"

Yeah, people have a tendency to think it takes a lot of new stuff to ski. All the kids racing skis are online purchases from college racers who sell cheap every year and I ski on old stuff from high school ski swaps. Season passes at our mountain are $550 so since we are there every weekend and all of Christmas break.....those pay for themselves before the holidays are even over. Just like bikes though we don’t screw around with used safety stuff and gear, so that gets expensive. It comes down to being another cool sport the whole family can do for the rest of our lives. Although I’d rather be riding than skiing any day. I couldn’t even tell you how we ended up with a kid ski racing, we were never hardcore skiers nor are even very good at. We were just the typical morons that skied on New Years every year.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, Deb Tatum said:

Skiing is definitely cheaper when comparing apples to apples. Ski racing vs Bike racing, and rec skiing vs rec motorcycling. There are also no motorcycle swaps to go to and get cheap bikes. Ski swaps are in all of ski country. Spend $100 at a swap and you are set up with functional equipment.

The only thing that gets expensive with ski racing is the lodging. Most ski races are three day events with one or two being all week. Then some of the lift tickets at these venues are spendy and the only way to watch your kid is to buy one. (Although I’ll hike my fat ass up to some.) Nothing lodging wise is cheap near a ski hill. VRBO and AirBnB become your friends because a cabin is usually a better deal than the motels and you can split with another family.

All I'm going to say is 2 kids, ones Motocross, the other All Star Cheer at National level. 

Motocross -20+ weekends living out of a toy hauler,  fixing bikes every week after work, load up,  drive, race, drive home, clean and maintain, repeat. 2 week break then Cheer season starts, traveling the east coast living out of hotel rooms 2 weekends a month plus the 3x a week practice year round. From a price stand point I say they are about even.  Initial layout for motocross can be high depending on how far you want to go in (Me I do nothing 1/2 ass). Only 7 weekends off this year. My daughter would race but the risk is too high for her if she gets hurt. All I ask is good grades, help around the house when were home and remember this for your kids.

38829141_10212111569160166_6489548623360032768_o.jpg

48099921_347824035996737_8625720508618375168_n.jpg

IMAG0338 (2).jpg

39467785_10212174884062999_8838337878149824512_n.jpg

39519398_10212174888503110_1089804597960114176_n.jpg

17202793_1240501489380180_2056481932255601518_n.jpg

Edited by bc44
add text & media
  • Like 3

I have 2 nephews, and they are night and day different. One lived on his bicycle growing up and now rides dirt bikes with me. The other never rode his bicycle or the Honda 50 I built for him. He's a good kid, but lives on his computer. 

I think many modern kids satisfy their brain's need for excitement in a virtual world, literally not actually doing anything but pushing buttons. Thankfully others enjoy the real world. 

• Like 1

I have 2 nephews, and they are night and day different. One lived on his bicycle growing up and now rides dirt bikes with me. The other never rode his bicycle or the Honda 50 I built for him. He's a good kid, but lives on his computer. 
I think many modern kids satisfy their brain's need for excitement in a virtual world, literally not actually doing anything but pushing buttons. Thankfully others enjoy the real world. 

I have 2 sons .. 25 and 26. And three daughters two are step daughters. Only the 26 year old loves to ride. The others never took a interest. I spent many nights at various activities . None of them involved riding. But I would never trade that time in for anything other then what it was. Now my son barely gets a chance to throw a leg over a bike ... too busy chasing his little ones. My brothers on the other hand have taken 16 years to finally come to the realization that they enjoy riding. I’ve always told them they would but I don’t think they trusted me. Many reasons I guess not to but this one always confused me. Finally this last thanksgiving I came to our family cabin with two of my bikes and all my gear and offered them up, thinking they would blow me off for the hundredth time. But they were ready for something new and challenging. So I geared them up with helmets, boots, gloves,etc.. gave them the run down on the functions, told them I would trail them in the truck . Well, after a couple of spills some raspberries,and bruises, they rode them until we ran out of gas. There were ear to ear smiles and I just got a call from them chomping to do it again..think I got me a few new members to add to my riding group [emoji847] FINALLY!
  • Like 3