cdf450

What’s the harm in extra oil for the clutch?

I overfilled my clutch a little the other day and it’s got me wondering... what’s the big deal if you put an extra 100ml in? What if you put an extra 500ml in? What exactly does it hurt? What are the negatives??

I always thought with too much oil, once it gets hot & expands it would blow seals and gaskets and end up with oil places you don't want it. 🤷‍♂️

Exactly that. Just open the inspection bolt and let the excess run out. Then it will be perfect.

15 minutes ago, nobade said:

Exactly that. Just open the inspection bolt and let the excess run out. Then it will be perfect.

Yea that's how I do mine, just fill till it oozes out, then close up the inspection port and add a little more so there will be enough to check it next time. 

• Like 2

Two strokes generally have a vented transmission cavity, so there is no danger of pressure building up.  Japanese bikes usually  have a vent line on the centerline of the cases behind the cylinder.  Ktm 250/300s have the vent line in the right side case above the primary drive.  I don't think there is any harm in slightly overfilling the transmission.  I would not worry about it. 

• Like 1

I’m not worried and I know how to fill it. Just wondering what the harm is, if any. I can see if you topped it off to the nuts and it expanded then yeah. But one or two hundred extra ml maybe would provide a bit better cooling or lube for the clutch on super hard, tight single track days?

Anyways. Next question. I wiped out and had the bike end up completely upside down and stuck like that today for about 10 seconds. It pissed clutch oil all over the place. Where the hell did it leak from?!?! Did it come from that vent line you’re talking about?

Yea that's how I do mine, just fill till it oozes out, then close up the inspection port and add a little more so there will be enough to check it next time. 

Yeah that’s what I did. By the time it was coming out of the inspection hole, there was still a few hundred ml in the funnel that hadn’t went down. So I put the oil level bolt in and let the funnel finish draining it’s 100-200ml Into the case.

sat like this for 5 seconds and leaked oil everywhere, bike was soaked in it.   normal?

111.png

You should never try to set the oil level by using that check hole while you are pouring oil in.  If you ever take the right side case off, you would see that the passages into the central cavity are fairly small, and oil will probably start coming out that check hole long before the center cases have enough oil!  A second reason not to use that check hole is that ktms are notorious for having weak threads in that check hole, and it is super easy to strip out.  Experienced KTM owners avoid using it for that reason.  

All you need to do is get a container with mL measurements (like and old oil container).  Measure out the right amount, and dump it in your bike.  Done!  Ride!

No harm in adding a little extra if you want.  Personally I always add about 100ml extra in all two strokes.

Weird that your bike got that much oil on it.  I certainly had bikes upside down before and never noticed any unusual oil loss.  Are you sure you didn't crack a case or something?

• Like 4

ugh. no, im not sure. and im scared to look TBH.   because I rode for another 40 mins, stopped, leaned the bike on its side, and it pissed a ton of oil off the skid plate that shoulda been gone by that point.   guess well see if theres a puddle under the bike in the AM.   going to wash it and take a look.   the bottom of the gas tank was soaked and dripping oil everywhere, there must of been 100ml all over the place.

good points though. maybe ill start just measuring it out and keeping it simple.   I put about 1lb of pressure on that bolt, I can tell it wants to strip with no effort!

funny story, I once had a guy bring me his sons sx50 to work on.   he lost a bolt in the exhaust system so he took that oil check bolt out, used it to secure the exhaust, and rode it like that for months with no bolt in there!!!!!!

• Sad 1

Yep, when the bike is upside down, it will come out of the breather hose.  My son used to ride a KLX 110, and everytime he tipped over, which happened a lot, oil would ooze out of the breather.  Normal.

As rpt said, overfilling a little isn't a big deal...I just measure the amount and dump it in.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I've heard it can make shifting more notchy overfilling

Really? I usually fill until it starts drooling out the fill hole. Replace cap, wipe up excess, ride on ;)

@rpt50 I think you're speaking of the drain plug on the KTM's, just below the check hole. I've never had a problem using the check hole, or heard of one. I could be wrong through. The drain plug is another story. My boy's 200 has a makeshift bolt in it right now for that reason. 

Just now, Bron-Yr-Aur said:

Really? I usually fill until it starts drooling out the fill hole. Replace cap, wipe up excess, ride on ;)

@rpt50 I think you're speaking of the drain plug on the KTM's, just below the check hole. I've never had a problem using the check hole, or heard of one. I could be wrong through. The drain plug is another story. My boy's 200 has a makeshift bolt in it right now for that reason. 

The oil level check is a known issue, surprised you use yours?  There are soooo many inner clutch covers out there with stripped, JB welded bolts in there.  I haven't used mine on my last 3 KTM's.  I only drain from the magnetic plug side, and don't touch the others.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Yeah I do use it on both bikes. I had never read of it being a problem, or I probably wouldn't have ever used it. I'm very careful with torquing such a tiny bolt. The drain plug that I use, of course, is on the shifter side. 

• Like 1

Sometimes i measure my oil but i have no quams just dumping in a quart either. No issues. 

• Like 1

I used the sight hole again today. Then added an extra 100ml or so. Bringing me very close to 1000ml total (two 500ml water bottles full) (quart is 950ml)

Measuring cup is annoying IMO because then you got an oily measuring jug to always carry around that’s attracting dust every chance it gets. Pour from the 1 gallon rotella t jug with a funnel and done deal.

Looking at the threads in the sight hole... there’s actually quite a few. I tighten the bolt in by hand with no ratchet. Then add the ratchet and turn it about 5 more degrees. Good enough. As long are you’re careful it’ll be fine. It’s not pressurized or rotating so it doesn’t need to be Insanely tight which is where most people go wrong it seems. Literally like 1 ft/lb is enough.

• Like 1

I have one of those and I love it.   so you put 2 stroke oil into a measuring cup with a few dozen mls of engine oil residue in it?   thats not hard on the motor to be burning engine oil in your gas?

theyre cheap enough, I think $3-4.   worth it to buy a second one for just engine oil I suppose.

Edited by cdf450