Freemotion

Long haul bike placement in truck bed- wind issue?

I'm about to drive 850 miles and was planning on putting the bike how I usually transport it around to ride. 

I have 4 door Chevy 1500 with standard bed length so I put it corner to corner in the bed so I can close tailgate. 

Front wheel is passenger side front of bed, rear tire driver side back of bed. Secured by pegs.  

Am I creating a wind drag coming off my roof with the bike like this? Around town it may not matter but over long trips I was wondering the effect. 

Thoughts anyone? 

Preesh 

I can see it causing resistance.  I have the same truck and put my front tire on the left side of the bed, and tie it down from the handlebars to the loops on the inside front of the bed.  I leave the bike straight.  I have these anchors that hold the tailgate a bit over half way up.  You can accomplish the same thing by looping the tailgate cables over the top of the latch studs.  Loaded this way, not only is there less wind resistance, but you can still easily see the road behind you from the rear view mirror in the cab.

• Helpful 1

You can save yourself a lot of cost and time by getting a aluminum bed extender that connects to the truck and folds down onto the open tail gate. This will allow the bike to be straight in instead of the corner deal. If you plan to stop over night put the bike in the motel room. If you don't it will be gone by sun light in the morning!

• Like 1

What's the big deal about leaving the tail gate down? I've gone 6 hours to race in va with mine down.

only really easy way to tell the effect of an angled bike is to track your fuel mileage.  i recommend the fuelly app.

16 hours ago, Kallendbor said:

only really easy way to tell the effect of an angled bike is to track your fuel mileage.  i recommend the fuelly app.

Still subject to variables that affect the outcome. The issue is a non issue and not worth the time we have collectively wasted here. :facepalm:

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, Piney Woods said:

Still subject to variables that affect the outcome. The issue is a non issue and not worth the time we have collectively wasted here. :facepalm:

Not to mention bandwidth....  🙊