Edgecombe

Maintaining dirt bike trail.

Went out today to see if'n I could any maintain'n on the trails and couldn't find any maintain'n to do, so I just dun rode around 'n had fun.

IMG_20181222_124330.jpg

• Like 2

I maintain a lot of the local trails.

I happen to like doing it, most are atv trails, I cut a path around the mud holes just wide enough for the bikes to keep the atv's from using them and wrecking them too. I do a lot of atving to maintain trails, its the quickest easiest way to haul chainsaws and shovels.

Lotsa beavers get shot illegally locally to keep them from flooding the trails, they come out to fix dams about an hour before dark you don't need to spend all day hunting them, just don't get caught doing it lol. I've also had to build a few new trails and small bridges to get around flooded spots, once the trail is dammed up for a while its pretty muddy and nasty even after the dam is gone.

• Like 2

We just ride around the beaver ponds, they have become quite helpful in providing wildlife 'sanctuaries' within the forest. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but they have become a recognized and helpful part of the forest here in BC

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea it is good to be out with the guys and then to ride the trail later is great. Sometimes it’s a challenge to figure a way to get through a difficult section. Some places are dangerous but it’s to figure a way to connect to other trails. Another huge lesson is realizing we can cut for a few hours and it takes a minute to ride with the bike. It’s humbling. It’s like.. awe shit.. All that work and that’s all? Still little by little trails come together. Cutting trails do bond you though. It’s just friends doing so other riders can enjoy. 

I couldnt have described it better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seer said:

It is your property so you get to do most of the work. Stop inviting your buddies if it really bothers you. 

Actually if buddies still ride there I’d never stop inviting them. That’s whether it bothers me or not. Guys just don’t know how much effort goes into trail maintenance and making new trails. They need to know too. On a regular basis in regular rides we stop where trees have fallen or other sections have washed away or got damaged. We just work a little or alot there. It’s sort of guilting them to a certain extent. Once they start cutting they get into it and enjoy it a bit. It’s training them a bit. It’s priming the pump and maybe they’ll be more of a contributor cleaning on their own in the future.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, filterx said:

I don't personally don't build any trails but we have some local dudes who are masters at building trails (dirt biking/mountain biking) and I have huge respect for the time and effort they put in to making some amazing PNW trails that I can ride 10 mins away from my house. Then my local dirt bike club has regular trail maintenance nights and which I'll attend and have no problems stopping during a ride to do some clean up as needed but limited to what I'm prepared to have to deal with unless I specifically go in with the tools to deals with something specific.

This is a local dude (Big Red Ted) who runs Dream Wizards and builds mostly mountain bike trails all over the world for a living BUT he's a dirt biker and makes some damn fine dirt bike trails :)

Clipboard01fsdfdss.jpg.b5e86be7a67bbfbc9329f271a1a73d50.jpg

p5pb13947544.jpg

image006.jpg

p5pb13947545.jpg

dream_comp.jpg

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-5.jpg

1011880_10151728477121970_420367713_n.jp

As far as the beavers go, I'd leave them to do there thing and since we have to deal with lots of rain etc etc etc, just build some bridges etc to get over the swampy parts.

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-2.jpg

freeride-ladder-bridge.jpg

BRL-Bridge-4-0-0.jpg

-woodentrailIMG_2908.jpg

Sorry - pic heavy BUT as I said I know I'm extremely lucky to be able live and ride where I do,

Seasons Greetings :)

I've done the bridge thing ,but when we have a heavy rain or floods and that wreaks havoc on bridges.  Its low land so if you dont keep the water level down in the creek it will back up. After a few years you have wood rot and you have to get it all up. We ride on part of the dam and it's real solid too. This summer they got pretty bad and if you only go back there once a week, by then it's a real disaster. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filterx said:

I don't personally don't build any trails but we have some local dudes who are masters at building trails (dirt biking/mountain biking) and I have huge respect for the time and effort they put in to making some amazing PNW trails that I can ride 10 mins away from my house. Then my local dirt bike club has regular trail maintenance nights and which I'll attend and have no problems stopping during a ride to do some clean up as needed but limited to what I'm prepared to have to deal with unless I specifically go in with the tools to deals with something specific.

This is a local dude (Big Red Ted) who runs Dream Wizards and builds mostly mountain bike trails all over the world for a living BUT he's a dirt biker and makes some damn fine dirt bike trails :)

Clipboard01fsdfdss.jpg.b5e86be7a67bbfbc9329f271a1a73d50.jpg

p5pb13947544.jpg

image006.jpg

p5pb13947545.jpg

dream_comp.jpg

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-5.jpg

1011880_10151728477121970_420367713_n.jp

As far as the beavers go, I'd leave them to do there thing and since we have to deal with lots of rain etc etc etc, just build some bridges etc to get over the swampy parts.

7mesh_DreamWizards_Blog-2.jpg

freeride-ladder-bridge.jpg

BRL-Bridge-4-0-0.jpg

-woodentrailIMG_2908.jpg

Sorry - pic heavy BUT as I said I know I'm extremely lucky to be able live and ride where I do,

Seasons Greetings :)

I've done the bridge thing ,but when we have a heavy rain or floods and that wreaks havoc on bridges.  Its low land so if you dont keep the water level down in the creek it will back up. After a few years you have wood rot and you have to get it all up. We ride on part of the dam and it's real solid too. This summer they got pretty bad and if you only go back there once a week, by then it's a real disaster. This is a pic I took today standing at the bottom of the dam. It's about 6 foot tall. One of my buddies did show up this morning and we got the water down about a foot and a half. Set 2 traps and see what we get.😁20181222_101629.thumb.jpg.f88cbcd17f17f8efd52f9fd72ccaf404.jpg

Edited by Edgecombe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, motoxvet said:

OP, Is it legal in your state to kill beavers or harrass them?  I know some states it's not.  I see some good use of pallets for really wet ground but obviously not too deep.  They do it around here for enduros so they don't end up with 100 bikes stuck in a mud pit.  I just started working on a couple of miles of trail, trying to make it not attractive to quads.  I won't be back there untill spring so I'll see if all my marking ribbons haven't been pulled down by hunters. It doesn't really matter because I went over it so many times to break it in.   I already have help lined up for more trail opening this spring.

I called the wildlife guy in my county and he told me if they are destroying your property you could hire someone or do it yourself . I've done it before with my cousin about 10 years ago and it worked for a year till new ones moved in.  It's  alot of work and I use to go out of town alot back then so it was tough to keep up with them. Its be one of the wettest years we've had in nc since 96 , so they really had a good year to build it up. Pallets rot fast and then there nail you have to deal with in them. We did build some solid treated wood one , but after a few years and driving rear in and screwing that in so they dont move from the creek rising from heavy rain. It gets kind of taxing. Especially when its alot of just yourself doing it. It was easier when my son was here, but with him being in the air force in Alaska, he's not here to help his old man.

• Like 5

I wish some of you guys lived in upstate NY, I'd bring my skid steer and mini ex over, in exchange for a place to ride!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, seer said:

It is your property so you get to do most of the work. Stop inviting your buddies if it really bothers you. 

I would love to find some more new riding buddies to invite to ride. They are few and far between here. Those mx boys don't like the woods.  They're bikes would get dirty. If your close. Come on by.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, biglake said:

I maintain a lot of the local trails.

I happen to like doing it, most are atv trails, I cut a path around the mud holes just wide enough for the bikes to keep the atv's from using them and wrecking them too. I do a lot of atving to maintain trails, its the quickest easiest way to haul chainsaws and shovels.

Lotsa beavers get shot illegally locally to keep them from flooding the trails, they come out to fix dams about an hour before dark you don't need to spend all day hunting them, just don't get caught doing it lol. I've also had to build a few new trails and small bridges to get around flooded spots, once the trail is dammed up for a while its pretty muddy and nasty even after the dam is gone.

Beavers got reintroduced here in the 70s and they have taken over in some areas. We don't have a trapping season for them and nobody buys the hide.  In heavy traffic areas like the river or giant lakes they do come out in the day, but back here in the woods they wait till late night before they are active. 

8 minutes ago, 6bt said:

I wish some of you guys lived in upstate NY, I'd bring my skid steer and mini ex over, in exchange for a place to ride!

You couldn't drive a vehicle close to this dam right now, it's way to wet. The wildlife guy told me the trappers he knew wouldnt go that far from the road to trap them.  I about got my side by side stuck trying to ride around the fields to get close,  so I turned around and walked. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Edgecombe said:

I would love to find some more new riding buddies to invite to ride. They are few and far between here. Those mx boys don't like the woods.  They're bikes would get dirty. If your close. Come on by.

where are you in NC, I'm in Va. most of the guys I ride with are in their 40's & 50's & ride woods & don't mind working on trails

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trackerdog said:

where are you in NC, I'm in Va. most of the guys I ride with are in their 40's & 50's & ride woods & don't mind working on trails

Rocky mount.  I've run alot of vchss up there in va. 

Nice, your not too far, I'm in tidewater dirt riders & our main property is by Emporia & we sponsor a couple races a year. I know a few of the guys in the club would love to come ride with you and we're not scared to work either. We also have a pretty good size beaver damn but it's down in the bottom & so far we just had to redirect a few trails, no big deal 

4 minutes ago, trackerdog said:

Nice, your not too far, I'm in tidewater dirt riders & our main property is by Emporia & we sponsor a couple races a year. I know a few of the guys in the club would love to come ride with you and we're not scared to work either. We also have a pretty good size beaver damn but it's down in the bottom & so far we just had to redirect a few trails, no big deal 

I love those races on that side of va. Just like around the house.